Massive panorama

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2012
      This will be one massive detailed spherical panorama when they finish shooting.
      http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-milky-image-reveals-billion-stars.html

      Milky Way currently captured in 150 billion pixels
      This is the current progress after 10 years.

      I could not find the interactive version mentioned. I also wonder why they did
      not put lower resolution images to fill in the holes.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2012

        It's right here http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

        I also wonder why they did
        not put lower resolution images to fill in the holes.

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Michel Thoby
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2012

          Le 29 mars 2012 à 15:22, Jim Watters a écrit :

          ... Milky Way currently captured in 150 billion pixels
          This is the current progress after 10 years.

          Wow! Thank you for sharing this link. You made me peering at the milky way to look at trillions of Stars of our galaxy. What a wonderful panorama!

          About massive sky panorama, may I do the same but  going a step farther and peer at to make you view hundred of thousands of... galaxies?

          VISTA stares deep into the cosmos : (JPG, 17121x10824 px = 266 MB):
          Quoting ESO: <<This view shows a section of the widest deep view of the sky ever taken using infrared light, with a total effective exposure time of 55 hours. It was created by combining more than 6000 individual images from the VISTA survey telescope at ESO’s Paranal Observatory in Chile. This picture shows a region of the sky known as the COSMOS field in the constellation of Sextans (The Sextant). More than 200 000 galaxies have been identified in this picture.
          It was a first time for me: I got the strong feeling of having a faint glimpse of the universe when zooming at 100% in this image. << ... And this picture is still just a tiny piece of it: it’s 1.2 x 1.5 degrees in size, which means it’s only 0.004% of the sky! .>>

          Michel
        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2012
            On 3/29/2012 12:22 PM, Michel Thoby wrote:

            Le 29 mars 2012 à 15:22, Jim Watters a écrit :

            ... Milky Way currently captured in 150 billion pixels
            This is the current progress after 10 years.

            Wow! Thank you for sharing this link. You made me peering at the milky way to look at trillions of Stars of our galaxy. What a wonderful panorama!

            About massive sky panorama, may I do the same but  going a step farther and peer at to make you view hundred of thousands of... galaxies?

            VISTA stares deep into the cosmos : (JPG, 17121x10824 px = 266 MB):

            Oh my.

            Quoting ESO: <<This view shows a section of the widest deep view of the sky ever taken using infrared light, with a total effective exposure time of 55 hours. It was created by combining more than 6000 individual images from the VISTA survey telescope at ESO’s Paranal Observatory in Chile. This picture shows a region of the sky known as the COSMOS field in the constellation of Sextans (The Sextant). More than 200 000 galaxies have been identified in this picture.
            It was a first time for me: I got the strong feeling of having a faint glimpse of the universe when zooming at 100% in this image. << ... And this picture is still just a tiny piece of it: it’s 1.2 x 1.5 degrees in size, which means it’s only 0.004% of the sky! .>>

            It sure is big out there, isn't it?

            Michel

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large