Re: Why is Mac so bad

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

      > I can confirm that Firefox and Chrome on Mac are not running with QTVR. Almost impossible to move them. Flash runs very well on FF and Chrome as well as in Safari
      >
      > here a test link for QTVR http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/ and for Flash http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/index_swf.html

      It is not quite as visible on this one as you use low quality for panning, but if I put them up side by side on my iMac 27" in Firefox and Safari I see a large difference. Safari autopans very smooth but Firefox has small jumps all the time.

      Hans

      > I never noticed any issue with Safari in regard of panos.
      >

      > Willy
      >

      > On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:44, Hans wrote:
      >
      > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
      > >
      > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
      > >
      > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but it is almost impossible to move them.
      > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
      > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
      > >
      > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
      > >
      > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3 times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
      > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama in another tab.
      > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
      > >
      > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there are problems like this on Windows 7.
      > >
      > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
      > >
      > > Hans

    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
        Firefox is sinking day by day in terms of performance. Chrome and Opera being the best right now.
        This is in all systems.

        As mac I only do have a g4 powerbook 12", I have big problems with that, being day by day less responsive.
        No ubuntu flavour can save it, unfortunately...
        :-(
        Says disk full, but I keep no data in it.
        I never understood how osx works and thinks, I keep on on my modified XP
        :-D

        Il giorno 29 marzo 2012 12:57, Hans <hans@...> ha scritto:

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

        > I can confirm that  Firefox and Chrome  on Mac are  not running with  QTVR. Almost impossible to move them.  Flash  runs  very well  on FF and Chrome  as well as in Safari
        >
        > here a test link  for QTVR  http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/  and  for  Flash  http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/index_swf.html

        It is not quite as visible on this one as you use low quality for panning, but if I put them up side by side on my iMac 27"  in Firefox and Safari I see a large difference. Safari autopans very smooth but Firefox has small jumps all the time.

        Hans

        > I never noticed any issue with Safari  in regard of panos.
        >

        > Willy
        >

        > On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:44, Hans wrote:
        >
        > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
        > >
        > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
        > >
        > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but it is almost impossible to move them.
        > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
        > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
        > >
        > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
        > >
        > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3 times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
        > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama in another tab.
        > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
        > >
        > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there are problems like this on Windows 7.
        > >
        > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
        > >
        > > Hans

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Luca Vascon.

        www.nuovostudio.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
          Which Firefox version are you using?

          Hans wrote:
          > As a Mac user for 18 years etc....
        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
            On 3/29/2012 2:44 AM, Hans wrote:
[...]

            I haven't noticed any problems like this in FF (my browser of choice), IE (gag me), Safari or Chrome (the latter 3 when I test a finished tour) on Win 7 x64 or XP Pro.  I regularly have multiple panos open in different tabs in FF when I'm testing something and when I'm fixing something in either PTGui or Photoshop I've had 10+ versions of a pano open in DevalVR.

            I can not test IE9 on my XP

            Hans

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • luca vascon

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                On 3/29/2012 7:24 AM, luca vascon wrote:

                Firefox is sinking day by day in terms of performance. Chrome and Opera being the best right now.
                This is in all systems.

                The problem with that is we can't depend on the site visitor to be using anything other then IE in Windows and Safari on Mac.  We can hope for other browsers but our work must work in those 2 browsers or we run the risk of late night phone calls from really upset clients.

                As mac I only do have a g4 powerbook 12", I have big problems with that, being day by day less responsive.
                No ubuntu flavour can save it, unfortunately...
                :-(
                Says disk full, but I keep no data in it.
                I never understood how osx works and thinks, I keep on on my modified XP
                :-D

                Il giorno 29 marzo 2012 12:57, Hans <hans@...> ha scritto:

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                > I can confirm that  Firefox and Chrome  on Mac are  not running with  QTVR. Almost impossible to move them.  Flash  runs  very well  on FF and Chrome  as well as in Safari
                >
                > here a test link  for QTVR  http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/  and  for  Flash  http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/index_swf.html

                It is not quite as visible on this one as you use low quality for panning, but if I put them up side by side on my iMac 27"  in Firefox and Safari I see a large difference. Safari autopans very smooth but Firefox has small jumps all the time.

                Hans

                > I never noticed any issue with Safari  in regard of panos.
                >

                > Willy
                >

                > On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:44, Hans wrote:
                >
                > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
                > >
                > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
                > >
                > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but it is almost impossible to move them.
                > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
                > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
                > >
                > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
                > >
                > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3 times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
                > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama in another tab.
                > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
                > >
                > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there are problems like this on Windows 7.
                > >
                > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
                > >
                > > Hans

                Pat Swovelin
                Cool Guy @ Large
              • Hans
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

                  > On 3/29/2012 2:44 AM, Hans wrote:
                  > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by
                  > > the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
                  > >
                  > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for
                  > > flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only
                  > > Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
                  > >
                  > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but
                  > > it is almost impossible to move them.
                  > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with
                  > > hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
                  > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
                  > >
                  > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version
                  > > seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
                  > >
                  > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3
                  > > times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with
                  > > freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are
                  > > freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
                  > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama
                  > > in another tab.
                  > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
                  > >
                  > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there
                  > > are problems like this on Windows 7.
                  >
                  > I haven't noticed any problems like this in FF (my browser of choice),
                  > IE (gag me), Safari or Chrome (the latter 3 when I test a finished tour)
                  > on Win 7 x64 or XP Pro. I regularly have multiple panos open in
                  > different tabs in FF when I'm testing something and when I'm fixing
                  > something in either PTGui or Photoshop I've had 10+ versions of a pano
                  > open in DevalVR.

                  Remember I told you that everything works OK on Windows,

                  This is a Mac problem. Firefox has as long as I remembder been a mess on Mac.
                  Always problem with Quicktime. Different problems with flash also.
                  Funny thing is that now the old Firefox 3 works OK with Quicktime but it freezes with latest flash for panoramas.

                  Hans

                  > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
                  > >
                  > > Hans
                  >

                  > Pat Swovelin
                  > Cool Guy @ Large

                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                    On 3/29/2012 12:00 PM, Hans wrote:

[...]

                    I understand that but you were talking about Windows running on Apple hardware and the results may be different on non-Apple hardware plus I was replying to his request for input from Windows 7 users.

                    This is a Mac problem. Firefox has as long as I remembder been a mess on Mac.
                    Always problem with Quicktime. Different problems with flash also.
                    Funny thing is that now the old Firefox 3 works OK with Quicktime but it freezes with latest flash for panoramas.

                    Has that behavior changed from what it was in the past?

                    Hans

                    I can not test IE9 on my XP

                    Hans

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

                      > >> I haven't noticed any problems like this in FF (my browser of choice),
                      > >> IE (gag me), Safari or Chrome (the latter 3 when I test a finished tour)
                      > >> on Win 7 x64 or XP Pro. I regularly have multiple panos open in
                      > >> different tabs in FF when I'm testing something and when I'm fixing
                      > >> something in either PTGui or Photoshop I've had 10+ versions of a pano
                      > >> open in DevalVR.
                      > >
                      > > Remember I told you that everything works OK on Windows,
                      >
                      > I understand that but you were talking about Windows running on Apple
                      > hardware and the results may be different on non-Apple hardware /plus /I
                      > was replying to his request for input from Windows 7 users.
                      >
                      > > This is a Mac problem. Firefox has as long as I remembder been a mess
                      > > on Mac.
                      > > Always problem with Quicktime. Different problems with flash also.
                      > > Funny thing is that now the old Firefox 3 works OK with Quicktime but
                      > > it freezes with latest flash for panoramas.
                      >
                      > Has that behavior changed from what it was in the past?

                      Yes It did not have not have this problem with flash before.

                      I guess it is the latest flashplayer that is working different.

                      Hans

                      > > Hans

                      > Pat Swovelin
                      > Cool Guy @ Large

                    • kwayneheil
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
                        No problem on Win 7 simultaneously opening QTVR, Flash, and HTML 5 panoramas on Firefox, IE9, Chrome and Safari. All scroll smoothly. 8GB RAM.

                        Wayne

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I can confirm that Firefox and Chrome on Mac are not running with QTVR. Almost impossible to move them. Flash runs very well on FF and Chrome as well as in Safari
                        > >
                        > > here a test link for QTVR http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/ and for Flash http://www.kaemena360.net/FS/Brasilia/BSBCathedral/index_swf.html
                        >
                        > It is not quite as visible on this one as you use low quality for panning, but if I put them up side by side on my iMac 27" in Firefox and Safari I see a large difference. Safari autopans very smooth but Firefox has small jumps all the time.
                        >
                        > Hans
                        >

                        > > I never noticed any issue with Safari in regard of panos.
                        > >

                        > > Willy
                        > >

                        > > On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:44, Hans wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > As a Mac user for 18 years I have become more and more irritated by the bad behavior of panoramas on Mac.
                        > > >
                        > > > While all browsers works with smooth and flawless performance both for flash and old Quicktime panos on my XP in Parallels on my iMac, only Safari and Opera is acceptable on Mac.
                        > > >
                        > > > Firefox and Chrome does not work at all with Quicktime. They open but it is almost impossible to move them.
                        > > > Flash loads extremely slow in Firefox and panning is not smooth with hesitations and jumpy behavior. Only if you go fullscreen it works smooth.
                        > > > Same with flash in Chrome. It is the same for both KRPano and Pano2VR.
                        > > >
                        > > > While Opera also had problems before, updating to the last version seems to have helped a lot and it now seems to be the best solution.
                        > > >
                        > > > Safari is very fast , loads my large multilevel panoramas at least 3 times faster than Firefox but it also has some weird problem with freezing if you move the window and also some lightbox panos are freezing. Also it can not load 2 large panoramas at the same time.
                        > > > Sometimes I just get a black page because I forgot to close a panorama in another tab.
                        > > > Even if I have 16 GB Ram.
                        > > >
                        > > > Would be interested if other Mac users have same problem and if there are problems like this on Windows 7.
                        > > >
                        > > > I can not test IE9 on my XP
                        > > >
                        > > > Hans

                      • rcgillespie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

                          Have you tried right clicking on a Flash pano and changing your Flash
                          settings?