Causes and effects of flare

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2012
      Hi list,

      Flare is inherent in photography. It is however too often the subject of conflicting statements. Despite a mass of available information, I could not "get a clear picture" in my mind about the causes and about the effects.
      I have thus been analyzing Flare in an attempt to better explain this multi-facet phenomenon to myself and possibly others:

      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Flare_and_veiling_glare/Ultra-simple.html

      Best regards,

      Michel Thoby
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2012
        On 3/27/2012 8:20 AM, Michel Thoby wrote:

        Hi list,

        Flare is inherent in photography. It is however too often the subject of conflicting statements. Despite a mass of available information, I could not "get a clear picture" in my mind about the causes and about the effects.
        I have thus been analyzing Flare in an attempt to better explain this multi-facet phenomenon to myself and possibly others:

        http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Flare_and_veiling_glare/Ultra-simple.html

        Yet another one of your great articles, Michel.

        Best regards,

        Michel Thoby

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2012
          On 3/27/2012 8:20 AM, Michel Thoby wrote:
          Hi list,

          Flare is inherent in photography. It is however too often the subject of conflicting statements. Despite a mass of available information, I could not "get a clear picture" in my mind about the causes and about the effects.
          I have thus been analyzing Flare in an attempt to better explain this multi-facet phenomenon to myself and possibly others:

          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Flare_and_veiling_glare/Ultra-simple.html
          You've got some typos that should be corrected.

          Is:
          You aloso may view:

          Should be:
          You also may view:

          Is:
          (i.e. the side of the camera sensorthat adjoins the mirror underside

          Should be:
          (i.e. the side of the camera sensor that adjoins the mirror underside

          Is:
          conditions discribed on fig 2 above for instance

          Should be:
          conditions described on fig 2 above for instance

          Is:
          Especially when it is out of the filed!

          Should be:
          Especially when it is out of the field!

          Is:
          mirror wlill be flipped up

          Should be:
          mirror will be flipped up

          Is:
          (even with HDR processsing!)

          Should be:
          (even with HDR processing!)

          Is:
          cannot suffer from bright steaking due to reflection

          Should be:
          cannot suffer from bright streaking due to reflection

          Is:
          To better observe tthe effects of flare

          Should be:
          To better observe the effects of flare

          Is:
          Unfortunayely the link to the special announcement

          Should be:
          Unfortunately the link to the special announcement

          "learnt" should really be "learned" but that's really more of a grammatical choice you, as the author, need to make.

          (sorry, no math here in this article)  Hooray!  Oops...        =8^)

          I'd like to personally thank you for the service you do for all of us with your thoughtful and very precise tests and articles you do and write about later

          Best regards,

          Michel Thoby

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large