About EOS 5DMk3, HDR, DPP and DLO

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26 9:43 AM
      Hi list,

      The new version of Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP Ver. 3.11.10) has been recently released with the shipping of the new EOS 5D MkIII (5D3), but this software is also applicable to images from most Canon DSLR introduced since 2006.

      The Instruction Manual shows that DPP is loaded with some nice improvements and new features.
      Among them, the Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) function is probably what has been talked about  the more in various lists and forums:
      The results from tests of DLO made with images shot with a 24-105 mm f4L on my 5D2 are encouraging. Although I could observe some evident clarity improvement near the corner of the images (I could not get that with the other raw converters that I am used to). This confirms what others have also reported and IMO it is yet a meager outcome that do not as yet reflect the feat loudly claimed by Canon's Chuck Westfall (about DLO)<< ... Adjustments are made for such aspects as spherical aberration, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, curvature of field, sagittal halo, chromatic aberration of magnification, axial chromatic aberration, diffraction, and the effects of a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS sensor...>>

      An other new feature is HDR creation. This can be performed automatically on the fly by the 5D3 firmware or by post-processing with DPP on the computer. I have found that this new offering by Canon could probably be improved;( An overview of my relevant observations is posted on a specific page:

      Regards,

      Michel Thoby
    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26 10:00 AM
        Hi Michael,

        If there is anything I despise, then it this "Hey, just select the artistic mode and you make HDR art" claim of camera makers.

        What I'm really wondering about is if the JPEG-HDR is in fact the Dolby format. Because that has all the extra range in the metadata and can actually be deflated back into an EXR file with PhotoSphere.

        Got a short write-up on the MKIII's HDR mode on my blog right now: www.hdrlabs.com
        Personally, I'm looking forward to the D800. Using it as carrot to get the book done ;)

        Best,
        Blochi

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26 12:51 PM
          Am 26.03.2012 18:43, schrieb Michel Thoby:
          > The new version of Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP Ver. 3.11.10)
          > has been recently released with the shipping of the new EOS 5D MkIII
          > (5D3), but this software is also applicable to images from most Canon
          > DSLR introduced since 2006.

          Do you have a download link for that version? Canon Europe, USA and
          Hongkong pages still list only version 3.11.4

        • luca vascon
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26 3:45 PM
            Sigh.
            I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CRAPPY NIKOOON!
            :-(
            It is 3 years I have to bring the 400page manual along with the D700. I WANT to go back to Canon again
            I got so big expectation by Canon 5d3...
            ...that probably I'll buy for myself a 2ndhand 5D2, and for the company a D800.
            At least Nikon understood where to put LV controls, Canon took 15 years to understand ehere to put the on-off button.

            --
            Luca Vascon.

            www.nuovostudio.it
            www.officinepanottiche.com

          • David
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 8:34 PM
              I compared 3.11.4 to 3.11.1 (Canon USA) and they are the same binaries. -no difference. Don't see the 3.11.10 anywhere -except with a new camera?