Re: [PanoToolsNG] Nikon D800 or D800E for panos?

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 10, 2012
      On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mrjimbo <mrjimbo@...> wrote:

      Thanks Ayrton..
      I think we all get cranked up over the sharper images but this is the way that one could see and understand what happens when it works against you.. thus a better decision could be made.. oops.. I went to the second url and it was a different experience.. can't figure out where I'm at , different language etc..
      This is where it ends up    http://narod.ru/disk/40067882001/1.zip.html

      just put the NUMBER that it asks to confirm that is a human being
      and then
      later click on the new link to be able to download it

      It's a 550 MB file

      I've donwload it all perfect

      On the other links from modified cameras ...
      please this NIKONS has nothing to do with modifying a canon camera and links :-)

      It's a new camera !
      It's done by the manufacterer !
      It is a NIKON !!!
      Only the best
      :-)

      best regards

      jmbo
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2012
        G'day Simon,

        As others have said, the D800 you choose will be very much dependent on the photography you do. I ordered the D800, as I already get bad moire at times when shooting the Canon 5DmkII or Nikon D700 for interiors (pano or stills). Given the huge bump in pixel count, I don't see the lack of AA filter is worth the corresponding risk of moire and the additional post required. Time will tell.

        If you're after a good rectilinear wide angle, the Nikon 14-24mm is about as good as it gets. Nothing short of a monstrously expensive European prime lens (eg Zeiss, Leica) will better it.

        Thanks,

        Aaron Spence.
        http://panedia.com

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
          Am 09.03.2012 01:16, schrieb Simon:
          > There are two options for it, the D800 with normal anti-aliasing
          > filter, or D800E without the anti-aliasing filter.
          >
          > What do you think is best for panos in terms of image quality, the
          > D800 with anti-aliasing filter for less chance of moire patterns but
          > less detail than a "true" 36MP, or the D800E without anti-aliasing
          > filter for more detail but more chance of moire patterns?

          You should keep in mind that for panoramas you can always use a longer
          lens to increase resolution - at least until a certain limit in the high
          gigapixel and if you don't go for action panoramas. But you will have
          big problems removing moire afterwards...

          And regarding gigapixels: This camera won't help you to push the limits,
          since it's more prone to depth of field problems than a smaller sensor
          and the absolute resolution isn't that high. 36 MP full frame are the
          same as 16 MP APS-C...

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
            Is that because the pixel pitch (size of the receptor sites) of the sensor is about the same?

            Erik Krause wrote:
            > Am 09.03.2012 01:16, schrieb Simon:
            >> There are two options for it, the D800 with normal anti-aliasing
            >>[stuff deleted] the absolute resolution isn't that high. 36 MP full frame are the
            > same as 16 MP APS-C...

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                Am 11.03.2012 12:35, schrieb Ken Warner:
                > Is that because the pixel pitch (size of the receptor sites) of the
                > sensor is about the same?

                Yes. The D800 gives 7360 pixels along the long side. This is about 204
                pixels per mm. A 24x16mm APS-C sensor of same pixel pitch will have
                roughly 4900x3270 = 16 MP.

                Canon 7D, 60D, 600D and 550D have a larger absolute resolution with the
                additional benefit of using only the sharper central part of the image
                circle if used with a full frame sensor lens.

              • luca vascon
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                  ALL mf digital sensors are without AA filter, it does give a far crisper result, better detail and finer image.
                  But it comes at a price. Satandard 4x4 bayer pattern decoding can be fooled when there is some detail with regular pattern falling in the same size of receptors ( or sensible multiples). It can be resolved at a raw decoding level, using the right software.
                  Remember when you are trying to scan a picture from a printed book?!
                  I DO NOT know how it could affect the video results, and I'm very curious and concerned, since moire in video is one of the biggest pain in the ass from current DSLR.

                  When I'll really have the opportunity to test both D800 and the 5Dmk3 together, I'll decide what to do, apart of buying a 5DII.
                  About Nikons, I'm really fed up with D700. After 3 years I still have to bring with me the manual. Useless overcomplicate shameful idiosincratic interface. And if I remote it cannot leave the files on the CF, but have to wait the sownload.
                  I'm stuck in 1stop bracketing steps.
                  Using an hacked  5DII with my own contax primes is an heavenly experience!!!
                  Still prefer an hacked 5DII (Magic Lantern) over the 5DIII improvements I see on paper.
                  ;-)

                  2012/3/9 Simon <simon.wheaton@...>
                  I was going to upgrade my Canon 350D/EFS 10-22mm pano setup to something like a 5DmkIII when it comes out.

                  This new Nikon D800/D800E looks good though, at 36MP.

                  There are two options for it, the D800 with normal anti-aliasing filter, or D800E without the anti-aliasing filter.

                  What do you think is best for panos in terms of image quality, the D800 with anti-aliasing filter for less chance of moire patterns but less detail than a "true" 36MP, or the D800E without anti-aliasing filter for more detail but more chance of moire patterns?

                  I have a few full frame manual focus Nikon lenses, so would probably use the Nikon AIS 20mm with the D800E, or try and find a top quality rectilinear Nikon lens that is a little wider.

                  Thanks,
                  Simon
                  Canberra
                  AUSTRALIA

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  Luca Vascon.

                  www.nuovostudio.it
                  www.officinepanottiche.com

                • DaveSphere
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                    Luca which version of Magic Lantern are you using on your 5D2? Are you using
                    it mostly for the enhanced bracketing?

                  • luca vascon