Re: new Cliplets application

  • Matt Uyttendaele
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2012
      Hi Christian,

      Yes the basic loop finding from the Schodl paper is in there. When you select a 'Loop' element for a layer, look for the "Refine" button on the upper timeline and that lets you cycle through the top 10 loop candidates.

      Not sure exactly what you mean by numbered in/out frames. The app currently doesn't allow for arbitrary re-order of video frames. It does create looping videos, and also what we call 'Mirror' videos which play forwards, then backwards, and repeat. I'd encourage you to watch the first two tutorials: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/cliplets/tutorials.aspx which describe this pretty well.

      -Matt

      > That is really cool. Been looking for a good way for generating looped elements for a long time.
      > Does the app also support numbered frame sequences for in- and output?
      >
      > I have been looking for an implementation of this looping frame assembly method from this paper:
      > http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/75608/Schodl-SG2000.pdf
      > http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cpl/projects/videotexture/
      >
      > Did that go in there?
      >
      > Best,
      > Christian
      >

      > On Mar 8, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Matt Uyttendaele wrote:
      >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > This is a bit off topic but there is a stitching aspect, so thought I would share. We were inspired by the many recent Cinemagraphs on these and other sites:
      > >
      > > http://www.cinemagra.ph/
      > > http://cinemagraphs.com/
      > > http://iwdrm.tumblr.com/
      > > and the Bing homepage animated backgrounds.
      > >
      > > So we mixed up the Image Composite Editor code a bit and produced a simple new app that lets users create these. If you're interested, download it out from: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/cliplets/

    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2012
        Yup, I just watched the tutorials. Very slick.

        By frame sequence support I mean simply a way to use numbered TGA frames instead of a compressed movie format for in-and-output. Just to maximize production quality and eventually use it in as animated texture in a 3D environment. No big deal, I can break out an uncompressed movie file, but would be nice to work with frame sequences from the start.

        Will give this baby a really good test run very soon. Thank you so much!

        Christian

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2012
          Hey Matt,

          It appears these cliplets/cinemographs/animGIFs are very hip. This makes the round of the blogs today:

          Best,
          Blochi