Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: android pano?

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
      On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

      > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

      Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

      Ian
    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
        On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

        On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

        > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

        Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

        It originated outside of Apple as part of Konquerer/KHTML; Apple put a lot of work into it to create WebKit, which continues to be open source, Safari (which is based on WebKit) which istheir browser, and all the other components of Apple products which require a browser engine (like iAds, WebViews, etc).

        Google later got involved in WebKit, which is the heart of Chrome (on desktops), and both the original Android Browser and now the new Chrome for Android. Google puts a lot of work into WebKit, just like Apple (and others); it's one reason why developed for Chrome and Safari together is fantastic - they share so much heritage that their behaviors (at least in HTML/CSS rendering) are very, very similar; though Apple and Google are often on different versions of WebKit (since Chrome is a bit more aggressively updated), and they use different JavaScript engines.

        Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.
      • Isaac Garcia
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
          Well, Chrome for Android requieres ICS (Android 4), so I won´t see it as a realistic "mainstream" update anytime soon :(

          Cheers from Madrid.

          --
          Isaac García

          http://www.coletassoft.com
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
          http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
          http://twitter.com/coletassoft
          http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
          http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

          JFGI | RTFM
        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
            On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
            On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
            On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:
            > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.
            Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

            Thanks Roger,

            Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.

            THIS is the really important matter here
            Flash is dying on mobiles
            Mobiles are growing all over

            best

            AYRTON

          • Isaac Garcia
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
              Like I said before, hold your horses.

              Chrome on Android requires ICS, and for the most part, hardly any current terminal will be getting an upgrade. And those that will, not "soon enough".

              Even then, It may not support webkit panos.

              Cheers.