Re: [PanoToolsNG] android pano?

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28 9:37 AM
      On 2012-02-28 12:57 PM, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:

      Read theses 2 links about Flash player on Android :

      http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html
      http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/

      It’s about the same restrictions with the Firefox Mobiles application on Android: ARM v7 processors and above.

      It’s why a lot of current Android smartphone can’t display a pano.
      jmP

      I imagine there are lots of Android devices that work with Flash Player that are not listed in certified devices. Both my Phone and Tablet works perfectly with Flash player and are not listed there.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28 11:22 AM
        Jim Thanks for the links. I think the list is not updated. I also know that here in US Sprint has rebranded certain models to suit themselves. Example, I learned few days ago that HTC EVO 4g "Hero S" was rebranded to HTC EVO 4g "Design" both run Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread and are scheduled for firmware update this fall 2012 to Android version 4 ICS [Ice Cream]. Our HTC EVO 4g ran Flash panoramas quite well.

        I also looked in the:

        HTC ALL Apps/ Settings / Applications/ Manage Applications / and found the installed version of Flash was 11.1

        HTC ALL Apps/ About Phone / Software information / More and found that my browser name and version is WebKit/533.1

        Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

        Android Market - is a source to download and install current Adobe Flash Player 11.1. I did it few days ago If you do not have Flash player installed now.. you too can just download it from Android Market.

        Hope this helps

        Dave

        > On 2012-02-28 12:57 PM, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:
        >
        > Read theses 2 links about Flash player on Android :
        >
        > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html
        > http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/
        >
        > It's about the same restrictions with the Firefox Mobiles application on
        > Android: ARM v7 processors and above.
        >
        > It's why a lot of current Android smartphone can't display a pano.
        > jmP
        >

        > I imagine there are lots of Android devices that work with Flash Player that are
        > not listed in certified devices. Both my Phone and Tablet works perfectly with
        > Flash player and are not listed there.
        >

        > --
        > Jim Watters
        > http://photocreations.ca

      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 29 2:29 AM
          On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

          > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

          Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

          Ian
        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
            On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

            On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

            > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

            Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

            It originated outside of Apple as part of Konquerer/KHTML; Apple put a lot of work into it to create WebKit, which continues to be open source, Safari (which is based on WebKit) which istheir browser, and all the other components of Apple products which require a browser engine (like iAds, WebViews, etc).

            Google later got involved in WebKit, which is the heart of Chrome (on desktops), and both the original Android Browser and now the new Chrome for Android. Google puts a lot of work into WebKit, just like Apple (and others); it's one reason why developed for Chrome and Safari together is fantastic - they share so much heritage that their behaviors (at least in HTML/CSS rendering) are very, very similar; though Apple and Google are often on different versions of WebKit (since Chrome is a bit more aggressively updated), and they use different JavaScript engines.

            Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.
          • Isaac Garcia
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
              Well, Chrome for Android requieres ICS (Android 4), so I won´t see it as a realistic "mainstream" update anytime soon :(

              Cheers from Madrid.

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

              On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

              On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

              > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

              Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

              It originated outside of Apple as part of Konquerer/KHTML; Apple put a lot of work into it to create WebKit, which continues to be open source, Safari (which is based on WebKit) which istheir browser, and all the other components of Apple products which require a browser engine (like iAds, WebViews, etc).

              Google later got involved in WebKit, which is the heart of Chrome (on desktops), and both the original Android Browser and now the new Chrome for Android. Google puts a lot of work into WebKit, just like Apple (and others); it's one reason why developed for Chrome and Safari together is fantastic - they share so much heritage that their behaviors (at least in HTML/CSS rendering) are very, very similar; though Apple and Google are often on different versions of WebKit (since Chrome is a bit more aggressively updated), and they use different JavaScript engines.

              Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.

              --
              Isaac García

              http://www.coletassoft.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
              http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
              http://twitter.com/coletassoft
              http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
              http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

              JFGI | RTFM
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
                On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:
                > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.
                Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

                Thanks Roger,

                Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.

                THIS is the really important matter here
                Flash is dying on mobiles
                Mobiles are growing all over

                best

                AYRTON

              • Isaac Garcia
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Like I said before, hold your horses.

                  Chrome on Android requires ICS, and for the most part, hardly any current terminal will be getting an upgrade. And those that will, not "soon enough".

                  Even then, It may not support webkit panos.

                  Cheers.