Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
      Am 26.02.2012 19:29, schrieb Uri:

      > The light meter has its own voltage regulator. The 'Check Battery'
      > display has a wide range of voltages over which the meter will
      > function properly.

      May be a modern one, but the Luna-Pro CDS? Do you know how old this is?
      It was built from 1961 to the late 70s. They used mercury cells
      *because* they had no voltage regulator.

      > Most digital cameras have excellent spot meters built in.

      You think? A good spot meter has down to 1° angle of incidence or even
      lower. What camera features this? Ok, you can put on a telephoto lens
      for measurement, but who will ever do that...

      > Besides, what does any of this have anything to do with panoramas?

      Exposure is vital for any kind of photography, but it's even more
      crucial for panoramas: How to balance between dark an bright parts?
      Even if you shoot HDR: What should be the brightest and darkest
      exposure? You are much faster decide this with a good spot lightmeter.

    • Tived
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
        Well, I want to chip in here,

        I use both, I mean I use my lightmeter (Sekonic 608), the camera reading
        in-camera but also look at the histogram in my live-view, as I swing the
        camera from side to side.

        What is handy with my lightmeter is that I can take 10 readings and average
        them out. I definately don't think that lightmeters are obsolite yet. One
        thing I think is more important, or equally as one can not do with some sort
        of metering (be it manual or auto) is color meters, and again we can shoot a
        grey card, 24-patch Macbeth chart et...

        I would buy one if they were not so bl**dy expensive ;-)

        anyway, just my $.02

        PS: In camera 1Degree or less spot meter is archived with a very long lens
        ;-)