Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

  • Uri
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Quentin Desouza <quentin@...> wrote:

      > Thanks but I will not be able to tell if there is a Low dropout Voltage
      > regulator.

      The light meter has its own voltage regulator. The 'Check Battery' display has a wide range of voltages over which the meter will function properly.

      Most digital cameras have excellent spot meters built in. To measure incident light, all you need is to measure a standard grey card that faces the main light source, so I don't see the point of using a hand-held meter at all, unless it's for some very special situations.

      Besides, what does any of this have anything to do with panoramas?
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
        Am 26.02.2012 19:29, schrieb Uri:

        > The light meter has its own voltage regulator. The 'Check Battery'
        > display has a wide range of voltages over which the meter will
        > function properly.

        May be a modern one, but the Luna-Pro CDS? Do you know how old this is?
        It was built from 1961 to the late 70s. They used mercury cells
        *because* they had no voltage regulator.

        > Most digital cameras have excellent spot meters built in.

        You think? A good spot meter has down to 1° angle of incidence or even
        lower. What camera features this? Ok, you can put on a telephoto lens
        for measurement, but who will ever do that...

        > Besides, what does any of this have anything to do with panoramas?

        Exposure is vital for any kind of photography, but it's even more
        crucial for panoramas: How to balance between dark an bright parts?
        Even if you shoot HDR: What should be the brightest and darkest
        exposure? You are much faster decide this with a good spot lightmeter.

      • Tived
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2012
          Well, I want to chip in here,

          I use both, I mean I use my lightmeter (Sekonic 608), the camera reading
          in-camera but also look at the histogram in my live-view, as I swing the
          camera from side to side.

          What is handy with my lightmeter is that I can take 10 readings and average
          them out. I definately don't think that lightmeters are obsolite yet. One
          thing I think is more important, or equally as one can not do with some sort
          of metering (be it manual or auto) is color meters, and again we can shoot a
          grey card, 24-patch Macbeth chart et...

          I would buy one if they were not so bl**dy expensive ;-)

          anyway, just my $.02

          PS: In camera 1Degree or less spot meter is archived with a very long lens
          ;-)