android pano?

  • prague
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
      what is the fate of panos on android?

      it won't be long before flash is not available.

      so how will we show panos on android?
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@...> wrote:

        > what is the fate of panos on android?
        >
        > it won't be long before flash is not available.
        >
        > so how will we show panos on android?

        As far as I know there are no Android versions which are not supported by Flash.
        There are not even any new versions after Ice Cream Sandwich, planned. At least not officially.

        Hans
      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
          On 2012-02-24 8:55 AM, prague wrote:
          > what is the fate of panos on android?
          > it won't be long before flash is not available.
          > so how will we show panos on android?
          Adobe's Flash roadmap released Feb23
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

          Adobe will continue to release security updates for Flash Player Plugin on
          Android. Flash Player 11.1 is the last release for mobile browsers. Security
          updates will continue. I would guess it would be the same 5 years promised for
          Linux.

          The beta release of Chrome does not support Flash, so I never installed it on my
          phone.
          http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/flash-chrome-for-android-beta.html

          Adobe and Google are working together to create a implementation of Flash Player
          to support Flash on all Google Chrome browsers. Codenamed "Pepper". The emphasis
          is to allow Flash on Linux x86/64 platforms. But why not mobile too?

          Eventually there will be new Android hardware that wont be compatible with Flash
          Player 11.1. Eventually Chrome will be out of Beta and will likely be the
          default browser on Android. When Flash fails I downgrade to HTML5.

          The HTML5 viewers I have seen so far do not match what can be done with Flash.
          When will they have: Tiling and deep zooming? 360° video support? ...

          --
          Jim Watters
          http://photocreations.ca
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
            Right! We have to all worry! Only 5 or 10 years before it all comes crashing down.

            http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-57383611-2/adobe-vows-5-to-10-more-years-of-flash-advances/

            prague wrote:
            > what is the fate of panos on android?
            >
            > it won't be long before flash is not available.
            >
            > so how will we show panos on android?

          • Luc Villeneuve
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
              Did you checked your URL. I end with a 404

              Luc

              prague wrote:
              > what is the fate of panos on android?
              >
              > it won't be long before flash is not available.
              >
              > so how will we show panos on android?

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
                URL works fine on my end.

                Trausti

                prague wrote:
                > what is the fate of panos on android?
                >
                > it won't be long before flash is not available.
                >
                > so how will we show panos on android?

              • Roger Howard
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
                  On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                  Right! We have to all worry! Only 5 or 10 years before it all comes crashing down.

                  http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-57383611-2/adobe-vows-5-to-10-more-years-of-flash-advances/

                  Did you read the article? Did you read the OP's question?

                  The Flash plugin for mobile devices project is dead - cancelled (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=flash+mobile+killed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8); if at some point in the future, mobile and desktop/laptop OS'es converge then we  might be able to say it's back, but that 5-10 years has nothing to do with mobile, it's Adobe showing they have a roadmap for the mainstream (Windows and Mac OSX - and maybe Linux - on x86/64, with a decidedly less certain future on Windows 8 as well) Flash Player. Note, the only real mentions of mobile in the roadmap are about AIR - not Flash Player.

                  Also, even on Android versions that do have Flash Player support today, the new Chrome for Android recently launched doesn't have any plugin support (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/adobe-confirms-no-flash-for-chrome-on-android.ars) - and it's a far better browser than the old Android browser, so many people are already updating, meaning they have no Flash support in browser anymore.

                  So yes, Flash on Android is dying even faster than we thought just a few months ago when it was put into maintenance mode. What part of this story is so hard for people to understand?

                  I'm not going to get into Flash vs. HTML5; just the facts - Flash Player on mobile is in maintenance mode today - no new versions, no new platforms, just critical updates - and a big new nail in its coffin was put in by Google with the release of Chrome for Android. The Flash on mobile future is getting smaller, not bigger. And since it's nowhere to be seen on iOS, and nowhere to be seen on Windows Mobile 8 or any other forthcoming mobile platform, it's not hard to read the tea leaves.
                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
                    Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn [about mobile].

                    Me personally, I don't even have a cell phone let alone the need to see yours or anybody else's panos on it in any medium.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 24, 2012
                      On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                      Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn [about mobile].

                      Me personally, I don't even have a cell phone let alone the need to see yours or anybody else's panos on it in any medium.

                      As is your perogative. I was simply responding to your comments that seemed to misstate the situation with mobile Flash, not trying to convince you to have a mobile, or of the relative merits of Flash.
                    • prague
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 25, 2012
                        Thank you Roger and Jim for giving me some insight.

                        Again, let me ask: is there any alternative to Flash panos in he browser available on android in 2012?

                        If not now, what is the likely format that will come? Does anyone know who is working on that?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 25, 2012
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you Roger and Jim for giving me some insight.
                          >
                          > Again, let me ask: is there any alternative to Flash panos in he browser available on android in 2012?
                          >
                          > If not now, what is the likely format that will come? Does anyone know who is working on that?

                          Yes Klaus is.
                          See
                          http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=34928&highlight=android+html5#post34928

                          and
                          http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=33058&highlight=android+html5#post33058

                          and

                          http://krpano.com/iphone/#future

                          Hans

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 25, 2012

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Thank you Roger and Jim for giving me some insight.
                            > >
                            > > Again, let me ask: is there any alternative to Flash panos in he browser available on android in 2012?
                            > >
                            > > If not now, what is the likely format that will come? Does anyone know who is working on that?
                            >
                            > Yes Klaus is.
                            > See
                            > http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=34928&highlight=android+html5#post34928
                            >
                            > and
                            > http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=33058&highlight=android+html5#post33058
                            >
                            > and
                            >
                            > http://krpano.com/iphone/#future
                            >

                            > Hans

                            Actually Pano2VR seems to already have WEB Gl support which works in Firefox on Android.
                            http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7108&p=26806&hilit=android+html5#p26806

                            I have to say it is all a pity as none of these HTML5 options will ever get the same quality as Flash. Maximum size without freezing or other problem for panoramas is just 2200 cubefaces and panning is often not even possible until the full panorama has loaded.

                            Many of the websites I see which have switched to HTML5 from flash give me constant crashes which flash never had for me.

                            Hans

                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@> wrote:

                            > > > Did you read the article? Did you read the OP's question?
                            > > >
                            > > > The Flash plugin for mobile devices project is dead - cancelled (
                            > > > http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=flash+mobile+killed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8);
                            > > > if at some point in the future, mobile and desktop/laptop OS'es converge
                            > > > then we might be able to say it's back, but that 5-10 years has nothing to
                            > > > do with mobile, it's Adobe showing they have a roadmap for the mainstream
                            > > > (Windows and Mac OSX - and maybe Linux - on x86/64, with a decidedly less
                            > > > certain future on Windows 8 as well) Flash Player. Note, the only real
                            > > > mentions of mobile in the roadmap are about AIR - not Flash Player.
                            > > >
                            > > > Also, even on Android versions that do have Flash Player support today, the
                            > > > new Chrome for Android recently launched doesn't have any plugin support (
                            > > > http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/adobe-confirms-no-flash-for-chrome-on-android.ars)
                            > > > - and it's a far better browser than the old Android browser, so many
                            > > > people are already updating, meaning they have no Flash support in browser
                            > > > anymore.
                            > > >
                            > > > So yes, Flash on Android is dying even faster than we thought just a few
                            > > > months ago when it was put into maintenance mode. What part of this story
                            > > > is so hard for people to understand?
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm not going to get into Flash vs. HTML5; just the facts - Flash Player on
                            > > > mobile is in maintenance mode today - no new versions, no new platforms,
                            > > > just critical updates - and a big new nail in its coffin was put in by
                            > > > Google with the release of Chrome for Android. The Flash on mobile future
                            > > > is getting smaller, not bigger. And since it's nowhere to be seen on iOS,
                            > > > and nowhere to be seen on Windows Mobile 8 or any other forthcoming mobile
                            > > > platform, it's not hard to read the tea leaves.

                          • Jean-Marc Paratte
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012

                              Read theses 2 links about Flash player on Android :

                              http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html

                              http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/

                              It’s about the same restrictions with the Firefox Mobiles application on Android: ARM v7 processors and above.

                              It’s why a lot of current Android smartphone can’t display a pano.

                              jmP

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012
                                Thanks for the list - it´s really interestand how many devices do not support Flash !
                                Lot´s of tablets too- but i have no idea how accurate the list actually may be.

                                ciao
                                mike

                                it won't be long before flash is not available.

                                so how will we show panos on android?

                                Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
                              • Jim Watters
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012
                                  On 2012-02-28 12:57 PM, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:

                                  Read theses 2 links about Flash player on Android :

                                  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html
                                  http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/

                                  It’s about the same restrictions with the Firefox Mobiles application on Android: ARM v7 processors and above.

                                  It’s why a lot of current Android smartphone can’t display a pano.
                                  jmP

                                  I imagine there are lots of Android devices that work with Flash Player that are not listed in certified devices. Both my Phone and Tablet works perfectly with Flash player and are not listed there.

                                  --
                                  Jim Watters
                                  http://photocreations.ca
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 28, 2012
                                    Jim Thanks for the links. I think the list is not updated. I also know that here in US Sprint has rebranded certain models to suit themselves. Example, I learned few days ago that HTC EVO 4g "Hero S" was rebranded to HTC EVO 4g "Design" both run Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread and are scheduled for firmware update this fall 2012 to Android version 4 ICS [Ice Cream]. Our HTC EVO 4g ran Flash panoramas quite well.

                                    I also looked in the:

                                    HTC ALL Apps/ Settings / Applications/ Manage Applications / and found the installed version of Flash was 11.1

                                    HTC ALL Apps/ About Phone / Software information / More and found that my browser name and version is WebKit/533.1

                                    Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

                                    Android Market - is a source to download and install current Adobe Flash Player 11.1. I did it few days ago If you do not have Flash player installed now.. you too can just download it from Android Market.

                                    Hope this helps

                                    Dave

                                    > On 2012-02-28 12:57 PM, Jean-Marc Paratte wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Read theses 2 links about Flash player on Android :
                                    >
                                    > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html
                                    > http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/
                                    >
                                    > It's about the same restrictions with the Firefox Mobiles application on
                                    > Android: ARM v7 processors and above.
                                    >
                                    > It's why a lot of current Android smartphone can't display a pano.
                                    > jmP
                                    >

                                    > I imagine there are lots of Android devices that work with Flash Player that are
                                    > not listed in certified devices. Both my Phone and Tablet works perfectly with
                                    > Flash player and are not listed there.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Jim Watters
                                    > http://photocreations.ca

                                  • Ian Wood
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 29, 2012
                                      On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

                                      > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

                                      Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

                                      Ian
                                    • Roger Howard
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                        On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                                        On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

                                        > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

                                        Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

                                        It originated outside of Apple as part of Konquerer/KHTML; Apple put a lot of work into it to create WebKit, which continues to be open source, Safari (which is based on WebKit) which istheir browser, and all the other components of Apple products which require a browser engine (like iAds, WebViews, etc).

                                        Google later got involved in WebKit, which is the heart of Chrome (on desktops), and both the original Android Browser and now the new Chrome for Android. Google puts a lot of work into WebKit, just like Apple (and others); it's one reason why developed for Chrome and Safari together is fantastic - they share so much heritage that their behaviors (at least in HTML/CSS rendering) are very, very similar; though Apple and Google are often on different versions of WebKit (since Chrome is a bit more aggressively updated), and they use different JavaScript engines.

                                        Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.
                                      • Isaac Garcia
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                          Well, Chrome for Android requieres ICS (Android 4), so I won´t see it as a realistic "mainstream" update anytime soon :(

                                          Cheers from Madrid.

                                          On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

                                          On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                                          On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:

                                          > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.

                                          Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

                                          It originated outside of Apple as part of Konquerer/KHTML; Apple put a lot of work into it to create WebKit, which continues to be open source, Safari (which is based on WebKit) which istheir browser, and all the other components of Apple products which require a browser engine (like iAds, WebViews, etc).

                                          Google later got involved in WebKit, which is the heart of Chrome (on desktops), and both the original Android Browser and now the new Chrome for Android. Google puts a lot of work into WebKit, just like Apple (and others); it's one reason why developed for Chrome and Safari together is fantastic - they share so much heritage that their behaviors (at least in HTML/CSS rendering) are very, very similar; though Apple and Google are often on different versions of WebKit (since Chrome is a bit more aggressively updated), and they use different JavaScript engines.

                                          Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.

                                          --
                                          Isaac García

                                          http://www.coletassoft.com
                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
                                          http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
                                          http://twitter.com/coletassoft
                                          http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
                                          http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

                                          JFGI | RTFM
                                        • AYRTON
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                            On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
                                            On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                                            On 28 Feb 2012, at 19:22, texas360dave wrote:
                                            > Not sure what WebKit is maybe it is a subset of Mozilla or something like that.
                                            Not quite. It's the open source web browser engine primarily developed by Apple. ;-)

                                            Thanks Roger,

                                            Back to Flash on Android - as people update their Android devices, particularly people installing Chrome for Android (a much better browser than the stock Android browser), they will progressively be losing Flash Player - the upgrade cycle in mobiles is working *against* Flash penetration, not in its favor.

                                            THIS is the really important matter here
                                            Flash is dying on mobiles
                                            Mobiles are growing all over

                                            best

                                            AYRTON

                                          • Isaac Garcia
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 1, 2012
                                              Like I said before, hold your horses.

                                              Chrome on Android requires ICS, and for the most part, hardly any current terminal will be getting an upgrade. And those that will, not "soon enough".

                                              Even then, It may not support webkit panos.

                                              Cheers.