Re: [PanoToolsNG] Understanding of Equirectangular pano

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2012
      On 2/14/2012 1:18 AM, dansuthar wrote:
      Hello everyone,

      I am new to this group and this is my first post. I am in a way of learning and knowing more about panoramas and its process since last whole year. I have gone through almost all tutorials (including panotools and hugin's) and many other papers on google and those on other universities's site. But till date, I am not able to find the exact foumullas to stitch images in to an equirectangular pano. 6 months ago, I was limited to only cylindrical and partial spherical projections. But as I came across the full view 360x180 equirectangular one, it seemed interesting to me(a lot, in fact). But let me very frank, since those last 6 months, I have been stuck on that only. I tried searching everywhere, but I didn't find "HOW TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT". Then I looked at panotools. The source has some methods of generation of an equi panorama. I tried understanding it many times, but still i am not getting it.

      Can you, or anybody else here, show or point me exactly to that part which applies distortion on equirectangular pano? I have attached the images from which you may get idea what I want to learn. This has nothing to do with the stitching part. Just projection is involved.

      Are you trying to write your own panorama player or are you trying to find out what players are on the market or how to use a specific player?

      The tutorials online and most other documents don't actually go deep in to it. Can anybody help?

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large