Autopano Motor Head

  • Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2012
      Does anyone have the Kolor Motorized Pano Head? Searching the database does not have much to say about the head but seems their software leaves a bit to be desired. The archive posts were some time ago so I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with the motor product or any of the software?

      Also is anyone using a motor head at all? They look as if some time could be saved but without hands one reviews, it would be hard to know.

      Thanks,

      Kyle
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2012
        I use the Merlin head with Nokia internet tablet as a remote unit.  Very pleased with it to say it mildly.  Due to the Nokia being an older version, I can not update to the latest versions of Papywizard, but on the other hand, I don't feel as if I really need anything better or different software wise.  What I have, is absolutely adequate and does the job well for my needs (no gigapixel panos).

        The bad things:
        The head is slow
        The base of the head is rather big (due to the vertical part not being longer) and it shows up with big nadir hole.... which again is not an issue because using PTgui's viewpoint correction, a single hand held image of the nadir is enough to fill up the nadir.
        It is rather heavy, therefore not the perfect match for a long monopole, but then again... any kind of a weight on top of a pole is going to be an issue, and personally I do not shoot from monopoles (yet).

        The good things:
        The head is precise (at least my unit is)
        It is extremely easy to manage
        It gives that "oh, that's some professional gear" comments from clients, who may better understand that it is not only about shooting some images that are charged for with more than a dollar a pop.
        Having people to ask "stupid questions" during a shoot, becomes a non-issue, because one can be in a different room while the images are shot, and being disturbed doesn't result in one forgetting which pictures have or have not been taken.

        I am happy with my unit, and can only recommend it... but there are also people who have had problems with their units, having them replaced, and again having problems with the replacement unit.... so bad things can happen.

        Hopefully this is of some help.

        Trausti

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
          Trausti,
          Thanks for the info. I think I will try to put together this system. If you have any info that would help me avoid any pitfalls you may have encountered, it would be much appreciated. Please send info via my email address instead of posting on this list. Not sure if this is off topic or not..
          Thanks
          Kyle