Superbowl Gigapan

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012

      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/07/gigapan/?xid=shareFB

      Too bad the person shooting it had no idea what he was doing.

    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
        I'm sorry but I just don't get the appeal of these Fancam images. Who wants to zoom in on a bunch of random people sat in a stadium ? You just end up looking at a bunch of blurry chopped up people.

        Matt

        On 7 Feb 2012, at 19:47, Rick Drew wrote:

        http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/07/gigapan/?xid=shareFB

        Too bad the person shooting it had no idea what he was doing.

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          I'd rather say under these circumstances and taking all details into account he did a pretty good job. Anybody with an urge to criticize should first show a better result he has produced under similar conditions.

          And no, I don't know who did it and I am not affiliated to the NFL.

          Cheers
          Jürgen

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            Am 07.02.2012 21:35, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
            > I'd rather say under these circumstances and taking all details into
            > account he did a pretty good job.

            A narrower sunshade and eventually cleaning the lens would have been
            better...

          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012

              Too many of the shots are out of focus. I’m not talking about mismatched heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter CAN control focus! That’s just sloppy.

              Rick Drew

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                Yeah, well, I'm not a fan of fancams either.
                But what you gonna do about it?
                One can't fight all the crap that's around, just make sure you don't step into it.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:

                > I'm sorry but I just don't get the appeal of these Fancam images. Who wants to zoom in on a bunch of random people sat in a stadium ? You just end up looking at a bunch of blurry chopped up people.
                >
                > Matt
                >
                > On 7 Feb 2012, at 19:47, Rick Drew wrote:
                >

                > > http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/07/gigapan/?xid=shareFB
                > >

                > > Too bad the person shooting it had no idea what he was doing.

              • gregoryv92821
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                  I think htese guys put out a pretty good product:

                  http://www.gigapixelfancam.com/fancams/nhl/allstars/20120129/

                  http://gigapixelfancam.com/fancams/football/rosebowl/20120102/

                  > Yeah, well, I'm not a fan of fancams either.
                  > But what you gonna do about it?
                  > One can't fight all the crap that's around, just make sure you don't step into it.
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm sorry but I just don't get the appeal of these Fancam images. Who wants to zoom in on a bunch of random people sat in a stadium ? You just end up looking at a bunch of blurry chopped up people.
                  > >
                  > > Matt
                  > >
                  > > On 7 Feb 2012, at 19:47, Rick Drew wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/07/gigapan/?xid=shareFB
                  > > >

                  > > > Too bad the person shooting it had no idea what he was doing.

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012
                    Hi Rick, have you done better? Under pressure? With no chance to reshoot? And you have to have it stitched and online in 24 or 48 hours?

                    It is *not* easy. And shooting an image at your leisure compared to an actual event cannot be compared.

                    I shot the wembley FA cup final and it turned out quite well. I also shot the Take That concert (also in wembley) and it really didn't work out so well.... And I had about 4x more time to shoot the Take That concert!

                    Anyway, the super bowl shot looks pretty good to me. Without knowing how long the photographer was allowed to stand there, it's not fair at all to say whether it could have turned out better or not.

                    Jeff

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                    > Too many of the shots are out of focus. I'm not talking about mismatched
                    > heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter
                    > CAN control focus! That's just sloppy.
                    >

                    > Rick Drew

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012

                      37 minutes shot by Sports Illustrated photographer David Bergman and Josh Lehrer.

                      Shot in-house. This is better than their usual panoramic in-house stuff ie SI VR’s.

                      I don’t understand the appeal of the Fancam/FB tagged stuff either. Without an actual game/event happening, it’s just a waste of my time to look at it. As so far, no one’s done that.

                      Sacha Griffin

                      http://www.seeit360.com

                      http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                      http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                      EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                      IM: sachagriffin007@...

                      Office: 404-551-4275

                      Hi Rick, have you done better? Under pressure? With no chance to reshoot? And you have to have it stitched and online in 24 or 48 hours?

                      It is *not* easy. And shooting an image at your leisure compared to an actual event cannot be compared.

                      I shot the wembley FA cup final and it turned out quite well. I also shot the Take That concert (also in wembley) and it really didn't work out so well.... And I had about 4x more time to shoot the Take That concert!

                      Anyway, the super bowl shot looks pretty good to me. Without knowing how long the photographer was allowed to stand there, it's not fair at all to say whether it could have turned out better or not.

                      Jeff

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                      > Too many of the shots are out of focus. I'm not talking about mismatched
                      > heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter
                      > CAN control focus! That's just sloppy.
                      >

                      > Rick Drew

                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012
                        On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM, prague <panoramas@...> wrote:

                        Hi Rick, have you done better? Under pressure? With no chance to reshoot? And you have to have it stitched and online in 24 or 48 hours?

                        It is *not* easy. And shooting an image at your leisure compared to an actual event cannot be compared.

                        I must agree with Jeffrey
                        It's a completely different process to shoot as an retired doing for fun AND shoot as a professional woring under HIGH tension of a client demanding it DONE
                        The more important is always the message, much more than the technique

                        Me too, like Sacha I don;t feel like something interesting to look at,
                        BUT
                        If I was there, at the game .... I would spend my time trying to find ME on the image :-) Just for fun.

                        And tha's the reason for this kind of professional work

                        To play fun with the crazy guys that appear on the photos

                        Both photographers are good professionals for Sports
                        One has more than 10 covers for the magazine

                        And on a gigapixel, like this, all the people is moving around, and no chance to retouch all of them :-(

                        But their point was achieved
                        And probably a lot of the people who WAS THERE enjoyed find themselves :-)

                        And some said : Oh God, I lost my head :-)))

                        best

                        I shot the wembley FA cup final and it turned out quite well. I also shot the Take That concert (also in wembley) and it really didn't work out so well.... And I had about 4x more time to shoot the Take That concert!

                        Anyway, the super bowl shot looks pretty good to me. Without knowing how long the photographer was allowed to stand there, it's not fair at all to say whether it could have turned out better or not.

                        Jeff

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                        > Too many of the shots are out of focus. I'm not talking about mismatched
                        > heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter
                        > CAN control focus! That's just sloppy.
                        >

                        > Rick Drew

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012
                          I agree also with Jeff and Ayrton,

                          is true that to shoot something like that is far to be easy... and for the interest... you know, professionals some time we do things that only interest to the customer... on these cases the interest is to get a lot of visits to their web site...

                          ++

                          El 08/02/2012, a las 15:38, AYRTON escribió:

                          On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM, prague <panoramas@...> wrote:

                          Hi Rick, have you done better? Under pressure? With no chance to reshoot? And you have to have it stitched and online in 24 or 48 hours?

                          It is *not* easy. And shooting an image at your leisure compared to an actual event cannot be compared.

                          I must agree with Jeffrey
                          It's a completely different process to shoot as an retired doing for fun AND shoot as a professional woring under HIGH tension of a client demanding it DONE
                          The more important is always the message, much more than the technique

                          Me too, like Sacha I don;t feel like something interesting to look at,
                          BUT
                          If I was there, at the game .... I would spend my time trying to find ME on the image :-) Just for fun.

                          And tha's the reason for this kind of professional work

                          To play fun with the crazy guys that appear on the photos

                          Both photographers are good professionals for Sports
                          One has more than 10 covers for the magazine

                          And on a gigapixel, like this, all the people is moving around, and no chance to retouch all of them :-(

                          But their point was achieved
                          And probably a lot of the people who WAS THERE enjoyed find themselves :-)

                          And some said : Oh God, I lost my head :-)))

                          best

                          I shot the wembley FA cup final and it turned out quite well. I also shot the Take That concert (also in wembley) and it really didn't work out so well.... And I had about 4x more time to shoot the Take That concert!

                          Anyway, the super bowl shot looks pretty good to me. Without knowing how long the photographer was allowed to stand there, it's not fair at all to say whether it could have turned out better or not.

                          Jeff

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                          > Too many of the shots are out of focus. I'm not talking about mismatched
                          > heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter
                          > CAN control focus! That's just sloppy.
                          >

                          > Rick Drew

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Ignacio Ferrando Margelí

                          976 297980 / 646154023

                          Abaco Digital

                          http://www.abaco-digital.es

                          En cumplimiento de lo dispuesto en el artículo 5 de la Ley Orgánica 15/19999, de 13 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos de la existencia de un fichero de datos de carácter personal cuyo titular y responsable es ABACO DIGITAL S.L. La recogida y tratamiento de sus datos tiene como finalidad gestionar las relaciones comerciales, jurídicas o contractuales que le vinculen con esta entidad.
                          Usted podrá en todo momento ejercitar sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición al tratamiento de datos personales, en la forma legalmente prevista, mediante comunicación firmada y remitida a ABACO DIGITAL, S.L., sito en Méndez Núñez 31, 3º dcha, C.P. 50003 de Zaragoza.

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                            On 2/8/2012 6:38 AM, AYRTON wrote:
                            On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM, prague <panoramas@...> wrote:

                            Hi Rick, have you done better? Under pressure? With no chance to reshoot? And you have to have it stitched and online in 24 or 48 hours?

                            It is *not* easy. And shooting an image at your leisure compared to an actual event cannot be compared.

                            I must agree with Jeffrey
                            It's a completely different process to shoot as an retired doing for fun AND shoot as a professional woring under HIGH tension of a client demanding it DONE

                            Henry Stuart set the benchmark for gigapans with the royal wedding in England last year.  It had to be done.  It had to be online in a day.  It had to be right.  Period.  Pressure?  I'm sure we can't imagine how much but I guarantee that shooting the Super Bowl pales by comparison.  And he pulled it off because he followed the 7 Ps:
                            Proper
                            Prior
                            Planning
                            Prevents
                            Piss
                            Poor
                            Performance

                            Who here could have done as good of a job as he did?

                            The more important is always the message, much more than the technique

                            Me too, like Sacha I don;t feel like something interesting to look at,
                            BUT
                            If I was there, at the game .... I would spend my time trying to find ME on the image :-) Just for fun.

                            And tha's the reason for this kind of professional work

                            To play fun with the crazy guys that appear on the photos

                            Both photographers are good professionals for Sports
                            One has more than 10 covers for the magazine

                            And on a gigapixel, like this, all the people is moving around, and no chance to retouch all of them :-(

                            But their point was achieved
                            And probably a lot of the people who WAS THERE enjoyed find themselves :-)

                            And some said : Oh God, I lost my head :-)))

                            best

                            I shot the wembley FA cup final and it turned out quite well. I also shot the Take That concert (also in wembley) and it really didn't work out so well.... And I had about 4x more time to shoot the Take That concert!

                            Anyway, the super bowl shot looks pretty good to me. Without knowing how long the photographer was allowed to stand there, it's not fair at all to say whether it could have turned out better or not.

                            Jeff

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                            > Too many of the shots are out of focus. I'm not talking about mismatched
                            > heads and bodies, and other things that cannot be controlled. The shooter
                            > CAN control focus! That's just sloppy.
                            >

                            > Rick Drew

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large