Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Bryce etc free for February

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
      On 2012-02-05 8:41 AM, panovrx wrote:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams"<roger@...> wrote:..
      >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
      >> be really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
      >> it can be done.
      > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
      > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980
      >
      > PeterM

      Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
      developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
      complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
      other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
      tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
      Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
        Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
          On 2012-02-05 2:17 PM, Luc Villeneuve wrote:
          Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.
          This bug was there before Corel owned it.
          Jim

          On 05 févr. 2012, at 13:14, Jim Watters wrote:

          Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
          developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
          complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
          other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
          tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
          Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

          --
          Jim Watters
          http://photocreations.ca
        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
            Well, I don't know how much Bruce has evolved by now, but I can tell that realistic looking clouds are actually pretty hard to generate. It starts with the physical-force driven shape and ends with the internal light scattering and all these subtle nuances of atmospheric light behavior. That's why CG people prefer to use photographic cloud panoramas.

            If you really want to generate CG clouds, I recommend Vue for more photographic results.

            Blochi

            On Feb 4, 2012, at 12:41 PM, panovrx wrote:

            Want some skies for your panoramas? Bryce is good for this

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
              They have added a lot of stuff over the years I think -- eg. now they have volumetric clouds
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTioc_4OrY
              PeterM

              > Well, I don't know how much Bruce has evolved by now, but I can tell that realistic looking clouds are actually pretty hard to generate. It starts with the physical-force driven shape and ends with the internal light scattering and all these subtle nuances of atmospheric light behavior. That's why CG people prefer to use photographic cloud panoramas.
              >
              > If you really want to generate CG clouds, I recommend Vue for more photographic results.
              > http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_10_esprit/?page=5
              >
              > Blochi
              >
              > On Feb 4, 2012, at 12:41 PM, panovrx wrote:
              >
              > > Want some skies for your panoramas? Bryce is good for this

            • Roger D Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                > ..
                >>
                >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                >> be
                >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                >> it can
                >> be done.
                >>

                > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                Argh!

                Roger W.
              • Uri
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                  > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                  This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                  I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                  Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                  http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                  and:
                  http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                  I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                  http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                  and:
                  http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8
                • Kyle Goodnight
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                    Is Bryce Free...?? Web site a bit confusing...
                    Kyle

                    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:44 PM

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                    > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                    This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                    I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                    Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                    http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                    and:
                    http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                    I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                    http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                    and:
                    http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8

                    Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:58 PM

                    On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                    > ..
                    >>
                    >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                    >> be
                    >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                    >> it can
                    >> be done.
                    >>

                    > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                    > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                    I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                    Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                    Argh!

                    Roger W.

                • Ron Rack
                  Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                    How does Bryce et al etc. compare with the always free "Blender.org" ? I have not used either. What would be better to start learning?

                    Ron Rack

                    On Feb 6, 2012, at 3:44 PM, Uri wrote:

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                    > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                    This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                    I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                    Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                    http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                    and:
                    http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                    I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                    http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                    and:
                    http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8

                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                      On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 05:44:09 +0900, Uri <uri@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter
                      >> kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory
                      >> tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!
                      >

                      > This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners"
                      > will yield quite a few helpful links.

                      They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe I'm old enough
                      for that to apply...

                      > I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo

                      I think that is the largest nadir cap I have ever seen. And QUITE the
                      most original! But somehow I do not feel encouraged to emulate it.

                      Roger W.

                      --
                      Business: www.adex-japan.com
                      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger