OT: Looking for software

  • Fulvio Senore
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
      Hello,

      I am looking for a particular kind of software and maybe somebody knows
      if it exists.

      I have a lot of images (and other files) stored in CDs and DVDs. Of
      course when I am looking for a file it is not simple to find the right
      disk, so I would like to find a program that could help me.

      Of course there are a lot of programs that can catalog disks and make
      searches, but I would like to have another feature.
      I would like to have a different view of the disks content: something
      like a virtual file system. In this view there is a root folder with
      many subfolders, like in a real filesystem. I would like to be able to
      put "real" disk folders and files into some of these virtual folders, in
      order to keep together similar files. So each virtual folder would
      contain files from many different disks. For example I could put images
      of a certain location in a single virtual folder, even if they are
      stored in different disks.

      I hope that I have been able to explain what I mean, so here it comes
      the question: does anybody know of a similar program?

      If it does not exist I could consider building one. I just need to learn
      to use a portable framework and database, so this could be a good excuse
      to test them.

      Thanks in advance.

      Fulvio Senore
    • Les Hall
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
        Aperture on the Mac allows you to do this and more - very powerful
        program. lots of layers and ways of doing things - you would not be
        dissapointed.

        Les, Dallas.

        On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking for a particular kind of software and maybe somebody
        > knows
        > if it exists.
        >
        > I have a lot of images (and other files) stored in CDs and DVDs. Of
        > course when I am looking for a file it is not simple to find the right
        > disk, so I would like to find a program that could help me.
        >
        > Of course there are a lot of programs that can catalog disks and make
        > searches, but I would like to have another feature.
        > I would like to have a different view of the disks content: something
        > like a virtual file system. In this view there is a root folder with
        > many subfolders, like in a real filesystem. I would like to be able to
        > put "real" disk folders and files into some of these virtual
        > folders, in
        > order to keep together similar files. So each virtual folder would
        > contain files from many different disks. For example I could put
        > images
        > of a certain location in a single virtual folder, even if they are
        > stored in different disks.
        >
        > I hope that I have been able to explain what I mean, so here it comes
        > the question: does anybody know of a similar program?
        >
        > If it does not exist I could consider building one. I just need to
        > learn
        > to use a portable framework and database, so this could be a good
        > excuse
        > to test them.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Fulvio Senore

      • 3rw1n
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
          and what would be the best choice with Windows?

          I personnaly use ACDSee Pro but I'd like to know if I can find a better
          software

          Aperture on the Mac allows you to do this and more - very powerful
          program. lots of layers and ways of doing things - you would not be
          dissapointed.

          Les, Dallas.

          On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am looking for a particular kind of software and maybe somebody
          > knows
          > if it exists.
          >
          > I have a lot of images (and other files) stored in CDs and DVDs. Of
          > course when I am looking for a file it is not simple to find the right
          > disk, so I would like to find a program that could help me.
          >
          > Of course there are a lot of programs that can catalog disks and make
          > searches, but I would like to have another feature.
          > I would like to have a different view of the disks content: something
          > like a virtual file system. In this view there is a root folder with
          > many subfolders, like in a real filesystem. I would like to be able to
          > put "real" disk folders and files into some of these virtual
          > folders, in
          > order to keep together similar files. So each virtual folder would
          > contain files from many different disks. For example I could put
          > images
          > of a certain location in a single virtual folder, even if they are
          > stored in different disks.
          >
          > I hope that I have been able to explain what I mean, so here it comes
          > the question: does anybody know of a similar program?
          >
          > If it does not exist I could consider building one. I just need to
          > learn
          > to use a portable framework and database, so this could be a good
          > excuse
          > to test them.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Fulvio Senore

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
            I'm just beginning to experiment with Adobe Lightroom, which works on both
            Mac and Windows. While I like the stacks that you can create in Aperture,
            and the interface looks slicker, I don't own a Mac, so it's Lightroom for
            me. Both of these programs go far beyond just storing and accessing images.
            They are full production based programs that will do 80%+ of your day to day
            image processing.

            Still, if ever there was a program that makes me toy with the idea of
            getting a Mac, it would have to be Aperture. But then I'm easily impressed
            with slick presentations, and the one I saw at PhotoExpo in October was VERY
            slick!

            Mark
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.northernlight.net

          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
              Hi Fulvio,

              Maybe DiscLib can help you. It's freeware.
              http://www.lyrasoftware.com (Click Download->DiscLib)

              regards
              fiero

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am looking for a particular kind of software and maybe somebody knows
              > if it exists.
              >
              > I have a lot of images (and other files) stored in CDs and DVDs. Of
              > course when I am looking for a file it is not simple to find the right
              > disk, so I would like to find a program that could help me.
              >
              > Of course there are a lot of programs that can catalog disks and make
              > searches, but I would like to have another feature.
              > I would like to have a different view of the disks content: something
              > like a virtual file system. In this view there is a root folder with
              > many subfolders, like in a real filesystem. I would like to be able to
              > put "real" disk folders and files into some of these virtual
              folders, in
              > order to keep together similar files. So each virtual folder would
              > contain files from many different disks. For example I could put images
              > of a certain location in a single virtual folder, even if they are
              > stored in different disks.
              >
              > I hope that I have been able to explain what I mean, so here it comes
              > the question: does anybody know of a similar program?
              >
              > If it does not exist I could consider building one. I just need to
              learn
              > to use a portable framework and database, so this could be a good
              excuse
              > to test them.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Fulvio Senore

            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
                Hello Fulvio,

                ACDSee may already give you what you are searching for (organize your
                images by various aspects), and older version can often be found very
                cheap in a store near you.

                The most professional approach is Canto Cumulus which already covers the
                "digital image management" market for several years (
                http://www.canto.com ). If this software doesn't cover what you need, it
                seems, you have to program it for yourself ;-)

                Best regards
                Bernhard
              • Fulvio Senore
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
                  Hello Bernhard,

                  I am not looking for an image organizer, I am looking for a program to
                  store the content of off-line disks, presenting the data in a particular
                  way. The program suggested by Fiero is very near to my needs, but it is
                  rather slow in searches (3 disks!) and it crashed when I exited.

                  I already have a version of Cumulus Single User and I am very satisfied
                  of it, but I think that it is better suited to handling source images,
                  just like they come out of the camera.

                  BTW, that kind of programs is causing me some concern. The problem is
                  that they are closed source. That is not a problem for most programs,
                  but people are likely to put in the Cumulus database the result of years
                  of effort in cataloging data. My database contains almost 5 years of
                  work. Now Canto has abandoned the low level market (Single User) so I am
                  currently using abandonware (will it work on a future OS?). I might
                  decide to migrate to another software, but the situation would be the same.

                  I would be happier if that this kind of software, that is designed to
                  keep users' data for years, probably decades, would be open source and
                  multiplatform. In that way users would know that their program will not
                  die when the author will decide that it does not make enough money, and
                  they will be free to migrate to another OS. I am currently looking at a
                  multiplatform framework library and a multiplatform database, and I must
                  admit that I like the idea of starting such a project. Having that tools
                  it should not be too difficult...

                  Fulvio

                  Bernhard Vogl ha scritto:
                  > Hello Fulvio,
                  >
                  > ACDSee may already give you what you are searching for (organize your
                  > images by various aspects), and older version can often be found very
                  > cheap in a store near you.
                  >
                  > The most professional approach is Canto Cumulus which already covers the
                  > "digital image management" market for several years (
                  > http://www.canto.com ). If this software doesn't cover what you need, it
                  > seems, you have to program it for yourself ;-)
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  > Bernhard

                • rox_ana_mustata
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 19, 2006
                    Maybe WhereIsIt is an adequate solution for your request.
                    http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

                    Roxana

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 19, 2006
                      Hello Fulvio,

                      Although your answer helped me to understand your needs better, i don't exactly get the point...
                      First of all, i have to say that i don't see much future in storing data on removable storage like CDs and DVDs as they're too unreliable. IMHO the only useful way to handle this, is, by using external harddisks (for SOHO use). This also makes "online management" of data much easier.

                      Let's assume, we are mainly talking about image data:
                      All relevant (description) data is stored in EXIF tags, easy to read and manageable. EXIF data is universal and not bound to any software vendor. Software like ACDSee can read it, use it to categorize and make it available - even if the data disk is offline.

                      Having said that, i would like to see software projects, based on such an idea like Exifer ( http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/ ) being brought to the open source community (and kept alive).

                      I think you're not really considering management of full datasets (not only metadata) which would include e.g. HSM, archive management and offsite data keeping. I have some knowledge there - and have to say that this area is already well covered by companies like IBM (Tivoli) or Oracle for the next 100 years. ;-)

                      Best regards
                      Bernhard

                      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                      Datum: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:25:56 +0100
                      Von: Fulvio Senore <mailing@...>
                      An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                      Betreff: Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT: Looking for software

                      > Hello Bernhard,
                      >
                      > I am not looking for an image organizer, I am looking for a program to
                      > store the content of off-line disks, presenting the data in a particular
                      > way. The program suggested by Fiero is very near to my needs, but it is
                      > rather slow in searches (3 disks!) and it crashed when I exited.
                      >
                      > I already have a version of Cumulus Single User and I am very satisfied
                      > of it, but I think that it is better suited to handling source images,
                      > just like they come out of the camera.
                      >
                      > BTW, that kind of programs is causing me some concern. The problem is
                      > that they are closed source. That is not a problem for most programs,
                      > but people are likely to put in the Cumulus database the result of years
                      > of effort in cataloging data. My database contains almost 5 years of
                      > work. Now Canto has abandoned the low level market (Single User) so I am
                      > currently using abandonware (will it work on a future OS?). I might
                      > decide to migrate to another software, but the situation would be the
                      > same.
                      >
                      > I would be happier if that this kind of software, that is designed to
                      > keep users' data for years, probably decades, would be open source and
                      > multiplatform. In that way users would know that their program will not
                      > die when the author will decide that it does not make enough money, and
                      > they will be free to migrate to another OS. I am currently looking at a
                      > multiplatform framework library and a multiplatform database, and I must
                      > admit that I like the idea of starting such a project. Having that tools
                      > it should not be too difficult...
                      >
                      > Fulvio
                      >
                      > Bernhard Vogl ha scritto:
                      > > Hello Fulvio,
                      > >
                      > > ACDSee may already give you what you are searching for (organize your
                      > > images by various aspects), and older version can often be found very
                      > > cheap in a store near you.
                      > >
                      > > The most professional approach is Canto Cumulus which already covers the
                      > > "digital image management" market for several years (
                      > > http://www.canto.com ). If this software doesn't cover what you need, it
                      > > seems, you have to program it for yourself ;-)
                      > >
                      > > Best regards
                      > > Bernhard
                    • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 19, 2006
                        Fulvio,

                        Have a look at iMatch - http://www.photools.com/
                        I've been using it for a few years now and it may be just what you need. As
                        for the 'closed-source' problem: it is scriptable and you can export your
                        data any way you want.

                        zbooy

                      • Mark D. Fink
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 19, 2006
                          > Hello Bernhard,
                          >
                          > I am not looking for an image organizer, I am looking for a program to
                          > store the content of off-line disks, presenting the data in a particular
                          > way. The program suggested by Fiero is very near to my needs, but it is
                          > rather slow in searches (3 disks!) and it crashed when I exited.
                          >
                          > I already have a version of Cumulus Single User and I am very satisfied
                          > of it, but I think that it is better suited to handling source images,
                          > just like they come out of the camera.
                          >
                          > BTW, that kind of programs is causing me some concern. The problem is
                          > that they are closed source. That is not a problem for most programs,
                          > but people are likely to put in the Cumulus database the result of years
                          > of effort in cataloging data. My database contains almost 5 years of
                          > work. Now Canto has abandoned the low level market (Single User) so I am
                          > currently using abandonware (will it work on a future OS?). I might
                          > decide to migrate to another software, but the situation would be the
                          > same.
                          >
                          > I would be happier if that this kind of software, that is designed to
                          > keep users' data for years, probably decades, would be open source and
                          > multiplatform. In that way users would know that their program will not
                          > die when the author will decide that it does not make enough money, and
                          > they will be free to migrate to another OS. I am currently looking at a
                          > multiplatform framework library and a multiplatform database, and I must
                          > admit that I like the idea of starting such a project. Having that tools
                          > it should not be too difficult...
                          >
                          > Fulvio

                          Hi Fulvio,

                          Have you considered ThumbsPlus - http://www.cerious.com/thumbnails.shtml?
                          I've used it for years and it has several interesting features. I haven't
                          used it to create shortcuts to files, i.e. virtual collections, but it is
                          open source, using MS Access.

                          Mark
                          www.pinnacle-vr.com
                          www.northernlight.net
                        • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                            Hi Fulvio,
                            I'm inclined to agree with Szymon.
                            (yes, I know, it is also an image catalogue program)

                            You can create a tree of categories(which can be anything, including,
                            continents-countries-towns-streets-etc)
                            You could then place your images in the corresponding category(or
                            categories) (you are calling it a virtual folder, here I am calling it a
                            category; functionally the same)

                            Like Szymon, I have been using iMatch for a few years and there is also a
                            lot of added functionality which I still haven't investigated all of, yet.
                            Of course my opinion is slightly biased :-)

                            Good Luck,
                            Darren.
                            PS. Still getting through my backlog of PanoToolsNG emails :-(

                            --

                            )using it for a few years now and it may be just what you need.
                            )As for the 'closed-source' problem: it is scriptable and you
                            )can export your data any way you want.
                            )
                            )zbooy