Re: [PanoToolsNG] Bryce etc free for February

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5 1:04 AM
      On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 05:41:29 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

      > Want some skies for your panoramas? Bryce is good for this
      > .. and Daz have this free offer for 3 of its products (Bryce, Daz Studio
      > Pro and Hexagon -- Mac and PC) until the end of the month
      > http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-makes-3d-software-worth-800-available-for-free/

      Peter, I had a vague memory of one of our designers asking me for a
      program called
      Bryce years ago and he was delighted with it, so when I saw "free" and
      "want some
      skies for your panoramas?" I immediately downloaded it.

      I have a feeling that as a tool for my simple needs--adding interesting
      skies to
      panoramas that have Japan's typical white haze for nine months of the
      year--I may
      have downloaded the equivalent of a sledgehammer when all I need to do is
      crack
      a nut!

      I should have guessed this when it suggested I download a "content" file
      that was
      700MB in size...

      If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
      be
      really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
      it can
      be done.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5 4:41 AM
        ..

        > If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
        > be
        > really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
        > it can
        > be done.

        It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
        http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

        PeterM
      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5 6:50 AM
          Thanks, Peter. I'll give it a try! I have plenty of panoramas that need blue skies...

          Roger W.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
          > ..
          >>
          >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
          >> be
          >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
          >> it can
          >> be done.
          >>

          > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
          > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980
          >
          > PeterM

        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5 10:14 AM
            On 2012-02-05 8:41 AM, panovrx wrote:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams"<roger@...> wrote:..
            >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
            >> be really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
            >> it can be done.
            > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
            > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980
            >
            > PeterM

            Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
            developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
            complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
            other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
            tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
            Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

            --
            Jim Watters
            http://photocreations.ca
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5 10:17 AM
              Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5 10:32 AM
                On 2012-02-05 2:17 PM, Luc Villeneuve wrote:
                Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.
                This bug was there before Corel owned it.
                Jim

                On 05 févr. 2012, at 13:14, Jim Watters wrote:

                Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
                developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
                complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
                other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
                tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
                Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5 12:21 PM
                  Well, I don't know how much Bruce has evolved by now, but I can tell that realistic looking clouds are actually pretty hard to generate. It starts with the physical-force driven shape and ends with the internal light scattering and all these subtle nuances of atmospheric light behavior. That's why CG people prefer to use photographic cloud panoramas.

                  If you really want to generate CG clouds, I recommend Vue for more photographic results.

                  Blochi

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5 3:48 PM
                    They have added a lot of stuff over the years I think -- eg. now they have volumetric clouds
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTioc_4OrY
                    PeterM

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5 3:58 PM
                      On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                      > ..
                      >>
                      >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                      >> be
                      >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                      >> it can
                      >> be done.
                      >>

                      > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                      > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                      I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                      Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                      Argh!

                      Roger W.
                    • Uri
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6 12:44 PM
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                        > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                        This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                        I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                        Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                        http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                        and:
                        http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                        I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                        http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                        and:
                        http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8
                      • Kyle Goodnight
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6 1:23 PM
                          Is Bryce Free...?? Web site a bit confusing...
                          Kyle

                          Monday, February 06, 2012 3:44 PM

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                          > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                          This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                          I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                          Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                          http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                          and:
                          http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                          I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                          http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                          and:
                          http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8

                          Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:58 PM

                          On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                          > ..
                          >>
                          >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                          >> be
                          >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                          >> it can
                          >> be done.
                          >>

                          > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                          > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                          I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                          Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                          Argh!

                          Roger W.

                      • Ron Rack
                        Message 12 of 16 , Feb 6 1:25 PM
                          How does Bryce et al etc. compare with the always free "Blender.org" ? I have not used either. What would be better to start learning?

                          Ron Rack

                          Message 13 of 16 , Feb 6 7:14 PM
                            On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 05:44:09 +0900, Uri <uri@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter
                            >> kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory
                            >> tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!
                            >

                            > This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners"
                            > will yield quite a few helpful links.

                            They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe I'm old enough
                            for that to apply...

                            > I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:
                            >
                            > http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo

                            I think that is the largest nadir cap I have ever seen. And QUITE the
                            most original! But somehow I do not feel encouraged to emulate it.

                            Roger W.