Re: [PanoToolsNG] Bryce etc free for February

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2012
      Thanks for the tip! I didn't even realize Bryce still existed. I spent (wasted,lol?) many, many hours playing with it 20+ years ago. It will be interesting to give it another whirl now.

      John

      John Riley
      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
      http://4pi-vr.com
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

      On Feb 4, 2012, at 3:41 PM, panovrx wrote:

      Want some skies for your panoramas? Bryce is good for this
      .. and Daz have this free offer for 3 of its products (Bryce, Daz Studio Pro and Hexagon -- Mac and PC) until the end of the month
      http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-makes-3d-software-worth-800-available-for-free/

      PeterM

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
        On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 05:41:29 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

        > Want some skies for your panoramas? Bryce is good for this
        > .. and Daz have this free offer for 3 of its products (Bryce, Daz Studio
        > Pro and Hexagon -- Mac and PC) until the end of the month
        > http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-makes-3d-software-worth-800-available-for-free/

        Peter, I had a vague memory of one of our designers asking me for a
        program called
        Bryce years ago and he was delighted with it, so when I saw "free" and
        "want some
        skies for your panoramas?" I immediately downloaded it.

        I have a feeling that as a tool for my simple needs--adding interesting
        skies to
        panoramas that have Japan's typical white haze for nine months of the
        year--I may
        have downloaded the equivalent of a sledgehammer when all I need to do is
        crack
        a nut!

        I should have guessed this when it suggested I download a "content" file
        that was
        700MB in size...

        If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
        be
        really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
        it can
        be done.

        Roger W.

        --
        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
          ..

          > If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
          > be
          > really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
          > it can
          > be done.

          It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
          http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

          PeterM
        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
            Thanks, Peter. I'll give it a try! I have plenty of panoramas that need blue skies...

            Roger W.

            Sent from my iPad

            On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
            > ..
            >>
            >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
            >> be
            >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
            >> it can
            >> be done.
            >>

            > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
            > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980
            >
            > PeterM

          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
              On 2012-02-05 8:41 AM, panovrx wrote:
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams"<roger@...> wrote:..
              >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
              >> be really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
              >> it can be done.
              > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
              > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980
              >
              > PeterM

              Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
              developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
              complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
              other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
              tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
              Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                  On 2012-02-05 2:17 PM, Luc Villeneuve wrote:
                  Well... If Corel owned it, they introduce additional bugs. I HAD to work with clients files and the worst format EVER was Corel.
                  This bug was there before Corel owned it.
                  Jim

                  On 05 févr. 2012, at 13:14, Jim Watters wrote:

                  Corel owned Bryce for a while. They had it when I worked there, I never
                  developed it just used it a bit. That was also 10 years ago. I filed a bug and
                  complained about its messed up lens model that required putting in a values
                  other-than 90° to create the sides of the cube for pano creation. I see from the
                  tutorial that it is recommending 112.5°. Although that tutorial was written for
                  Bryce 5 and Bryce 7 is what is available now. Things may have improved.

                  --
                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca
                • Christian Bloch
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                    Well, I don't know how much Bruce has evolved by now, but I can tell that realistic looking clouds are actually pretty hard to generate. It starts with the physical-force driven shape and ends with the internal light scattering and all these subtle nuances of atmospheric light behavior. That's why CG people prefer to use photographic cloud panoramas.

                    If you really want to generate CG clouds, I recommend Vue for more photographic results.

                    Blochi

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                      They have added a lot of stuff over the years I think -- eg. now they have volumetric clouds
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTioc_4OrY
                      PeterM

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
                        On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                        > ..
                        >>
                        >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                        >> be
                        >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                        >> it can
                        >> be done.
                        >>

                        > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                        > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                        I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                        Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                        Argh!

                        Roger W.
                      • Uri
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                          > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                          This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                          I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                          Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                          http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                          and:
                          http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                          I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                          http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                          and:
                          http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8
                        • Kyle Goodnight
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                            Is Bryce Free...?? Web site a bit confusing...
                            Kyle

                            Monday, February 06, 2012 3:44 PM

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                            > Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                            This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners" will yield quite a few helpful links.
                            I've used Bryce even before I've heard of panoramas :-) and just love it!.
                            Some of the Brye-generated images are on my web site. See:

                            http://tinyurl.com/6vesv8m
                            and:
                            http://tinyurl.com/7pey2de

                            I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:

                            http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo
                            and:
                            http://tinyurl.com/759fvy8

                            Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:58 PM

                            On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                            > ..
                            >>
                            >> If anyone has ever used Bryce to add an interesting sky to a panorama, I'd
                            >> be
                            >> really glad if you could point me in the right direction to find out how
                            >> it can
                            >> be done.
                            >>

                            > It is ten years since I used Bryce for pano sky renders this but this tutorial like it will work
                            > http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=980

                            I must confess that it was my complete ignorance of the complexity of graphic image generation software like Bryce that made me even entertain the idea of using it to generate skies for my "white sky" panoramas. I mean, here's someone who is still splashing around in the shallows of PhotoShop (me) imagining he can use Bryce? It would be laughable if it weren't pathetic.

                            Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!

                            Argh!

                            Roger W.

                        • Ron Rack
                          Message 13 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                            How does Bryce et al etc. compare with the always free "Blender.org" ? I have not used either. What would be better to start learning?

                            Ron Rack

                            Message 14 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
                              On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 05:44:09 +0900, Uri <uri@...> wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> Not only can I not follow the instructions in the tutorial that Peter
                              >> kindly pointed out above, I can't even understand the introductory
                              >> tutorial "for complete novices" that appears on the Bruce site!
                              >

                              > This is unfortunate. A Google search for "bryce tutorials for beginners"
                              > will yield quite a few helpful links.

                              They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe I'm old enough
                              for that to apply...

                              > I've incorporated images created with Bryce into some panoramas. see:
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/8xzogzo

                              I think that is the largest nadir cap I have ever seen. And QUITE the
                              most original! But somehow I do not feel encouraged to emulate it.

                              Roger W.