Re: 360 spherical videos using 4 (or 5) vertical APS-C cameras

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      Gopro have just released a firmware update that enables more stereo sync capabilities namely timelapse sync for stills, for the Gopro Hero2 -- but not regular stills or bursts. I dont know if this is it, or whether they will upgrade those features with later firmware. Exposure/color is not an exact match (like video). Still, only two more requirements and you could have a great miniature 360 pano capture rig with, say, 4 Gopros at 1 pano very 2 seconds -- requirements being: able to lock exposure to the master camera, and being able to sync more than 2 cameras. One very significant plus for time lapse stills versus video for the Gopros is lack of rolling shutter in the former

      PeterM

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image
      > > with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the
      > > Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy. I'm having a
      > > problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift -
      > > white snow is cyan tinted in the center of the pics/video and magenta on
      > > the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless,
      > > especially for stitching. You can see an example here:
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns
      >
      > One thought that occurred to me about your Gopro is that it might be a flaw in the IR filter (in front of the sensor.
      >
      > Re syncing action cams for video arrays I notice that 3dvision blog has posts about syncing Vio or Mio3d action cams. Using a simultaneous remote control video start method.
      > http://3dvision-blog.com/using-vio-pov-hd-action-cameras-for-recording-3d-video/
      > http://3dvision-blog.com/drift-hd-action-camera-and-mio-3d-for-stereo-3d-video-recording/
      > The trouble with this sync method is that even if they start in sync they can drift apart. But it makes me think that the Wifi Remote for Gopros when it comes might actually work for syncing videos for multiple Gopros. At least for short videos. Gopros have a better form factor for panoramic arrays than the others.
      >
      > Peterm

    • nburtey
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        With a hack of the firmware, do you think it's possible to set fixe the exposure, gain and color balance on a GoPro HD 2?

        Regards,
        Nicolas Burtey

        > Gopro have just released a firmware update that enables more stereo sync capabilities namely timelapse sync for stills, for the Gopro Hero2 -- but not regular stills or bursts. I dont know if this is it, or whether they will upgrade those features with later firmware. Exposure/color is not an exact match (like video). Still, only two more requirements and you could have a great miniature 360 pano capture rig with, say, 4 Gopros at 1 pano very 2 seconds -- requirements being: able to lock exposure to the master camera, and being able to sync more than 2 cameras. One very significant plus for time lapse stills versus video for the Gopros is lack of rolling shutter in the former
        >
        > PeterM
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image
        > > > with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the
        > > > Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy. I'm having a
        > > > problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift -
        > > > white snow is cyan tinted in the center of the pics/video and magenta on
        > > > the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless,
        > > > especially for stitching. You can see an example here:
        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns
        > >
        > > One thought that occurred to me about your Gopro is that it might be a flaw in the IR filter (in front of the sensor.
        > >
        > > Re syncing action cams for video arrays I notice that 3dvision blog has posts about syncing Vio or Mio3d action cams. Using a simultaneous remote control video start method.
        > > http://3dvision-blog.com/using-vio-pov-hd-action-cameras-for-recording-3d-video/
        > > http://3dvision-blog.com/drift-hd-action-camera-and-mio-3d-for-stereo-3d-video-recording/
        > > The trouble with this sync method is that even if they start in sync they can drift apart. But it makes me think that the Wifi Remote for Gopros when it comes might actually work for syncing videos for multiple Gopros. At least for short videos. Gopros have a better form factor for panoramic arrays than the others.
        > >
        > > Peterm

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 19, 2012
          Giorgio, here I am.
          NO WAY to get proper complete synchro. Only solution to that would be a real genlock (wikipedia will help you, this is a pro-video term)
          Only thru hardware hack you can get something close to a contemporary shutter press..
          I'm afraid that the closest you can get the cameras you will have a lot of parallax errors.
          You will need, in the end, 5 cameras at least.
          Buy a ladybug and stay happy.

          Gopro is a nice thing, and when I'll have my hack done it will allow a lot of things, frame by frame stitching.

          I don't know your project but KEEP in mind the audio part is always ESSENTIAL!
          ;-)

          2012/1/16 Giorgio Marchetto <mail@...>
          Hello panofriends

          I would like to create 360 spherical videos using 4 (or 5) vertical
          APS-C cameras.
          For example: Nikon D5100, Sony Nex5N. Expect 3800x1900 pixel frame size
          I have already used this technique to create Spherical (image) panoramas
          with my Nikon D300 and Sigma 8mm fisheye lens (tilted +5°)
          With 3:2 ratio (image) size horizontal width is larger than 16:9
          (video), so there could not be enough overlap to stitch the frames with
          only 4 cameras.

          I need to solve the following issues:
          RECORDING
          1) how to link recording start/stop on all cameras?
          2) how to link (=have the same) exposures?
             There could be more ways to set dinamically the exposures:
             a) an exposure 'master' camera which controls all the other 'slave'
          cameras (which uses the same exposures): Ladybug cameras should work in
          this way.
             b) an average exposure value calculation, to apply simultaneously to
          all camera. How to do this?
             c) dinamically select the shortest exposure and apply to all cameras
          (I prefer, in post production, correct under-exposed images). How to do
          this?
          POST PROCUCTION
          3) How to automate the post production workflow?
             I should prefer avoid frame by frame workflow (time consuming issue:
          In 25 fps video, there are 1500 frames/min,  90K frames/hour......)
             The frame-by-frame workflow: convert videos to frames, stitch and
          correct frame by frame panorama, convert frame by frame panoramas to
          video panorama.

          thanks in advance for sharing your expriences!

          Giorgio Marchetto
          Web & Multimedia Developer

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Luca Vascon.

          www.nuovostudio.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com

        • Fernando Costa Pinto
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
            Hi there ,

            I am looking for  a solution in video 360, using 5 Gopro.

            Isn't this solution  http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=221   a way to get complete synchro with the five go pro ?

            rgds
            Fernando
            Salvador
            Bahia

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
              Hi there ,

              I am looking for  a solution in video 360, using 5 Gopro.

              Isn't this solution, the Panodistro,  http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=221   a way to get complete synchro with the five go pro ?

              rgds
              Fernando
              Salvador

[...]