What about Girocam (and 360 video)?

  • Giorgio Marchetto
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 4:12 PM
      Hello panofriends

      Last summer (july) I received a 10% summer discount code from Giroptic
      to buy a Girocam.
      I tried to contact many times Giroptic, asking them more detailed
      panorama specifications
      and (upcoming) video features (see their blog with an example of
      immersive video).

      I got only this reply form Girocam:
      "Thank you for your email.
      Video will be available soon on the GIROCAM, we are still working on the
      FW update.
      We will keep you informed regarding the GIROCAM updates !"

      After 6 months, any news from them.
      It's a pity, this camera was quite interesting for me, especially if it
      was able to record 360 video
      with good resolution and frame rate.
      The price (1500 euro + VAT) is interesting, not so good the support im
      my experience...
      The website has several pages never update (cooming soon... or coming
      moon? ;-)

      Has someone of us tested this camera?
      How does it work?
      Does it record 360 video?
      Any Photo/video specifications or comments about it?

      thanks
      Giorgio Marchetto
    • Giorgio Marchetto
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2 5:19 PM
        I found some pano examples (6000x3000pixel) here:
        http://www.kolor.com/girocam-360-camera-by-giroptic-and-kolor.html

        The 3 fisheye lens are tilted up, so the zenith overlap is good.
        Instead, the nadir hole result in 3-waves shape,
        so the vertical useful resolution of the panorama is approximately:
        min: 130° (+90°/-40°)
        max: 148° (+90/-58°)
        A smaller lens tilt could increase the min useful vfov (but lenses are
        fixed).

        g.marchetto

        --
        Ing. Giorgio Marchetto
        Web& Multimedia Developer
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 9:59 PM
          Well, who wouldn't want such a device?
          But unless there is a first hand report from a reliable source I would stay far away.
          Maybe on Photokina this year they will surprise is with a progress they have made since two years when they announced the cam.