Re: [PanoToolsNG] pano on dvd

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hi JL,

      None that I know of with DVD SPro, there are other tools around to make DVDs with VRs. I'm sure someone on the list will know.

      Matt

      On 30 Jan 2012, at 13:14, JL wrote:

      Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
      I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
      If so how?

      Thanks
      JL

    • Thomas Bredenfeld
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
        as a video dvd you can produce with dvdsp only can contain video tracks
        (mpeg video), still and/or motion menus, audio tracks and nothing else,
        it's not possible to delilver interactive panoramas on this kind dvd.

        if you mean a dvd rom (_not_ dvd video), then it's no problem as it can
        hold arbitrary data and you can put panoramas e.g. as flash projector
        exe's on it.

        showing a panorama on a video dvd can only be done as a video made from
        panning around in a panorama. for this you can use adobe after effects
        and animate your pano as cube in 3d space and render this as video.
        basically the same can be done by every serious 3d software. both are
        fairly simple jobs for this kind of software.

        another possibility is http://www.pano2movie.com/ from ian wood to maka
        a video from a spinning panorama.

        hope this helps
        thomas

        Am 30.01.12 14:14, schrieb JL:
        > Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
        > I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
        > If so how?
        >
        > Thanks
        > JL

      • Robert Bilsland
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
          I'm guessing the only way might be to extract a number of views (maybe at 45 degree intervals) and then put them together as some sort of menu structure where as you navigate left, right, up and down it takes you to another menu page with a different view being shown. Not exactly fluid navigation and time consuming to put together but it would allow some sort of interaction.

          I think I remember seeing this done on some demo DVD, but when and by who I can't remember.

          Bob Bilsland.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <panong_jl@...> wrote:

          > Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
          > I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
          > If so how?
          >
          > Thanks
          > JL

        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
            The first few Harry Potter DVD had interactive "panos".
            From what I remember, you could turn in 45° increments left or right, and go
            from node to node. Every move was a little movie. It might have been captured
            with a video camera with a motorized head, as apposed to creating the movie from
            stitched panoramas. The video camera allows to capture motion too, but you do
            have to capture both panning left and panning right unless you want to just
            reverse the video in post.

            The HP version was a bit clumsy to navigate but it is the best I have seen. Each
            DVD got a little better. I have only seen the first three.

            Jim

            --
            Jim Watters
            http://photocreations.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
              Thanks to all who replied re panos on DVD.
              It is an unpleasant technology but one that my client insisted on...
              Not keen on Harry Potter either so i'll avoid those, but thanks Jim.
              btw 'Hogwarts' was borrowed from 'Down with Skool ' by Goffrey Willans, illustrated by Ronald Searle, possibly our greatest 20C cartoonist.
              I'll solve my problem the lazy way with a link to my website where the panos 'just work' thanks to ptgui and krpano.

              bw

              JL

            • Roger D Williams