pano on dvd

  • JL
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
      Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
      I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
      If so how?

      Thanks
      JL
    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
        Hi JL,

        None that I know of with DVD SPro, there are other tools around to make DVDs with VRs. I'm sure someone on the list will know.

        Matt

        On 30 Jan 2012, at 13:14, JL wrote:

        Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
        I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
        If so how?

        Thanks
        JL

      • Thomas Bredenfeld
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
          as a video dvd you can produce with dvdsp only can contain video tracks
          (mpeg video), still and/or motion menus, audio tracks and nothing else,
          it's not possible to delilver interactive panoramas on this kind dvd.

          if you mean a dvd rom (_not_ dvd video), then it's no problem as it can
          hold arbitrary data and you can put panoramas e.g. as flash projector
          exe's on it.

          showing a panorama on a video dvd can only be done as a video made from
          panning around in a panorama. for this you can use adobe after effects
          and animate your pano as cube in 3d space and render this as video.
          basically the same can be done by every serious 3d software. both are
          fairly simple jobs for this kind of software.

          another possibility is http://www.pano2movie.com/ from ian wood to maka
          a video from a spinning panorama.

          hope this helps
          thomas

          Am 30.01.12 14:14, schrieb JL:
          > Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
          > I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
          > If so how?
          >
          > Thanks
          > JL

        • Robert Bilsland
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
            I'm guessing the only way might be to extract a number of views (maybe at 45 degree intervals) and then put them together as some sort of menu structure where as you navigate left, right, up and down it takes you to another menu page with a different view being shown. Not exactly fluid navigation and time consuming to put together but it would allow some sort of interaction.

            I think I remember seeing this done on some demo DVD, but when and by who I can't remember.

            Bob Bilsland.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <panong_jl@...> wrote:

            > Is it possible to incorporate an interactive pano into a conventional DVD?
            > I'm making it with DVD Studio Pro on a mac.
            > If so how?
            >
            > Thanks
            > JL

          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2012
              The first few Harry Potter DVD had interactive "panos".
              From what I remember, you could turn in 45° increments left or right, and go
              from node to node. Every move was a little movie. It might have been captured
              with a video camera with a motorized head, as apposed to creating the movie from
              stitched panoramas. The video camera allows to capture motion too, but you do
              have to capture both panning left and panning right unless you want to just
              reverse the video in post.

              The HP version was a bit clumsy to navigate but it is the best I have seen. Each
              DVD got a little better. I have only seen the first three.

              Jim

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
                Thanks to all who replied re panos on DVD.
                It is an unpleasant technology but one that my client insisted on...
                Not keen on Harry Potter either so i'll avoid those, but thanks Jim.
                btw 'Hogwarts' was borrowed from 'Down with Skool ' by Goffrey Willans, illustrated by Ronald Searle, possibly our greatest 20C cartoonist.
                I'll solve my problem the lazy way with a link to my website where the panos 'just work' thanks to ptgui and krpano.

                bw

                JL

              • Roger D Williams