Re: Sony NEX-7 as a replacement of Nikon D700?

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "thumeau" <thumeau@...> wrote:
      > - Higher res. If I'm not wrong, I would need to do 6 around plus Nadir but with the 24Megapix of the Nex-7, I guess it would double the panorama size from ~6000x3000 to ~12000x6000

      You would need 6 around + Z + N. If my simulation is correct, this would yield an equirectangular image of around 16000x8000.

      John
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
        With the micro-4/3 and the Samyang (Rokinon, etc rebadged), you get about the same as the 10.5mm on APS-C.  2x7.5 mm = 15mm, 1.5 x 10.5mm = 15.75 mm. I find using my Olympus E-P2 with the Rokinon to be virtually the same as using the 10.5 with my old Fuji S2, except it is a small fraction of the weight and takes better pictures 8-)  Plus, the <$300 price of the awesome Samyang/Rokinon is awesome!

        John

        John Riley
        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        http://4pi-vr.com
        johnriley@...
        (h)864-461-3504
        (c)864-431-7075
        (w)864-503-5775

        On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:41 AM, thumeau wrote:

        One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm looking at the Sony NEX rather than the micro 4/3 because of the sensor size.
        Again, I might be wrong but I would assume I wouldn't be able to do a full pano with 6 around + nadir using a micro 4/3 + Nikkor 10.5...

      • markus_matern
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
          > [...]
          > And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.

          Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:

          You find the building instructions here:
          http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
          and here:
          http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/

          All the best,
          PanoTwin Markus
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
            Am 29.01.2012 22:15, schrieb markus_matern:
            > That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:

            Few days ago - a more low tech solution:
            http://tksharpless.net/SonyAirRelease/SonyAirPole.html

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
              I made a servo + battery + relay + wireless remote solution when I was shooting pole Nex5/10.5mm Nikkor panos
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc
              Here is a Nex5/10.5mm pano
              http://www.mediavr.com/cruisedrill2.htm

              But the lack of good native lenses and the interface (plus the remote issue) drove me away in the end. Even if you get an IR solution working the latency is more than a wired remote.

              One good thing about Nex+Nikkor10.5 combo is that the sizable adapter behind the lens allows you to install additional custom flare baffling for the system, eg. a rectangular baffle at the back of the adapter. Significant I think, especially if you are using a shaved Nikkor.

              PeterM

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markus_matern" <mac.mateng@...> wrote:

              > > [...]
              > > And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.
              >
              > Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:
              >
              > You find the building instructions here:
              > http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
              > and here:
              > http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/
              >
              > All the best,
              > PanoTwin Markus

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                Those are pretty good. What do you use now?

                panovrx wrote:
                > I made a servo + battery + relay + wireless remote solution when I was shooting pole Nex5/10.5mm Nikkor panos
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc
                > Here is a Nex5/10.5mm pano
                > http://www.mediavr.com/cruisedrill2.htm
                >
                > But the lack of good native lenses and the interface (plus the remote issue) drove me away in the end. Even if you get an IR solution working the latency is more than a wired remote.
                >
                > One good thing about Nex+Nikkor10.5 combo is that the sizable adapter behind the lens allows you to install additional custom flare baffling for the system, eg. a rectangular baffle at the back of the adapter. Significant I think, especially if you are using a shaved Nikkor.
                >
                > PeterM
                >

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markus_matern" <mac.mateng@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
                >>> [...]
                >>> And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.
                >> Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:
                >>
                >> You find the building instructions here:
                >> http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
                >> and here:
                >> http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/
                >>
                >> All the best,
                >> PanoTwin Markus

              • thomas_krueger_eu
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                  From http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-three-new-nex-cameras-coming-within-the-next-eight-months/
                  "There will be three new NEX cameras within the next 8 months. Sony will announce the first camera in April, another camera in Summer and another one at Photokina."

                  A full-frame body including all the missing features would be nice...