AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Sony NEX-7 as a replacement of Nikon D700?

  • ptgroup
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
      AFAIN has the 4/3 crop-factor of 2.
      That would make the 10.5 a app. 20mm @fullframe.
      VRWave tells this:
      • Full frame=20mm, HFOV: 84° | VFOV: 62° | DFOV: 94°
      • Min. shots (full frame): N, 8 images every 45° at -60° pitch, 8 images every 45° at 0° pitch, 8 images every 45° at +60° pitch, Z
      So 6 around work.
      I have no idea about the NEX, there are some users working with this combination.
      VRWave says:

      Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye

      • Full frame=10.5mm, HFOV: n/a° | VFOV: n/a° | DFOV: n/a°
      • 1.5x=15.75mm, HFOV: 139° | VFOV: 87° | DFOV: 173°
      • Min. shots (full frame): N, 3 images every 120°, if the lens shade is cut off (no zenith shot required)
      • Recommended (full frame): use the Nikon 16mm fisheye or the Sigma 15mm (6+2)
      • Min. shots (1.5x): N, 5 images every 72° at 0° pitch, Z (18% overlap)
      • Recommended (1.5x): N, 6 images every 60° at 0° pitch, Z (32% overlap)
      • Sharp lens, highly recommended for panoramic photography
      • Nikon D200 (10.2 megapixels, 6+2) : 10200 x 5100 pixels
      • Nikon D50/D70/D70s (6 megapixels, 6+2) : 8260 x 4130 pixels
      That would make 6 around work (+Z)

      Mit freundlichen Grüssen
      Virtugraf M. Hundrieser

      http://www.virtugraf.de
      ----------------------------
      360° VR Fotografie:
      http://www.360de.de

      NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
      http://www.abstraktfoto.de
      -----------------------------
      Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
      http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012

        > AFAIN has the 4/3 crop-factor of 2.
        > That would make the 10.5 a app. 20mm @fullframe.
        > VRWave tells this:

        Its a Sony Nex.
        They are APS size crop 1.5.

        Hans

        > * Full frame=20mm, HFOV: 84° | VFOV: 62° | DFOV: 94°
        > * Min. shots (full frame): N, 8 images every 45° at -60° pitch, 8 images every 45° at 0°
        > pitch, 8 images every 45° at +60° pitch, Z
        >
        > So 6 around work.
        > I have no idea about the NEX, there are some users working with this combination.
        > VRWave says:
        >
        > Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye
        >
        > * Full frame=10.5mm, HFOV: n/a° | VFOV: n/a° | DFOV: n/a°
        > * 1.5x=15.75mm, HFOV: 139° | VFOV: 87° | DFOV: 173°
        >
        > *
        >
        > Min. shots (full frame): N, 3 images every 120°, if the lens shade is cut off (no zenith
        > shot required)
        > *
        >
        > Recommended (full frame): use the Nikon 16mm fisheye or the Sigma 15mm (6+2)
        > *
        >
        > Min. shots (1.5x): N, 5 images every 72° at 0° pitch, Z (18% overlap)
        > *
        >
        > Recommended (1.5x): N, 6 images every 60° at 0° pitch, Z (32% overlap)
        > *
        >
        > Sharp lens, highly recommended for panoramic photography
        >
        > *
        >
        > Nikon D200 (10.2 megapixels, 6+2) : 10200 x 5100 pixels
        > * Nikon D50/D70/D70s (6 megapixels, 6+2) : 8260 x 4130 pixels
        >
        > That would make 6 around work (+Z)
        >

        > Mit freundlichen Grüssen
        > Virtugraf M. Hundrieser
        >
        > http://www.virtugraf.de <http://www.virtugraf.de/>
        > ----------------------------
        > 360° VR Fotografie:
        > http://www.360de.de <http://www.360de.de/>
        >
        > NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
        > http://www.abstraktfoto.de <http://www.abstraktfoto.de/>
        > -----------------------------
        > Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
        > http://virtugraf.wordpress.com <http://virtugraf.wordpress.com/>
        >

        > _____

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
          Unfortunately the Nex 3 and 5 cameras lacks 2 functions essential for panorama photographers.
          Bracketing and remote.

          The Nex 7 has bracketing but it is useless.
          Only
          "three-frame bracketed exposures with a step size of either 0.3 or 0.7 EV."

          And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.

          Hans

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "thumeau" <thumeau@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I've been shooting panoramas for 3 years with the D700 and a shaved Nikkor 10.5 fisheye.
          > I've been shooting mostly 4 around + nadir.
          > My compromise between quality and portability is to shoot handheld (as high as possible on top of my head, rotating my wrist) or with a monopod and NodalNinja.
          > I've been very very happy with this set up so far.
          >
          > Seeing the level of quality of the new generation mirrorless cameras, I'm thinking about switching my body to a Sony NEX-7 and keep my Nikkor 10.5 with a converter for the Sony E-Mount.
          >
          > Here are my thoughts:
          > - Of course, much lighter body than the D700. weight and size are my main priority.
          > - Higher res. If I'm not wrong, I would need to do 6 around plus Nadir but with the 24Megapix of the Nex-7, I guess it would double the panorama size from ~6000x3000 to ~12000x6000
          > - The future is mirrorless! I don't see a good reason anymore to invest in a new DSLR with mirror (especially for shooting panos)
          > - Todays APS-C size sensors (and processing behind it) are probably as good or better than 3 years ago's full size sensor.
          > - Bonus: Full HD video shooting
          > - I'll probably won't have the budget to buy a D800 when that beast is out.
          >
          > Cons:
          > - No autofocus if I use the Nikkor lens with lens converter
          >
          > Many people would say that going from a D700 to a Nex-7 is a downgrade but is it really the case?
          >
          > Any informed opinion would be great!
          > Especially if anyone could confirm that with such setup I can do a full pano with 6 around + 1 nadir.
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          > Thomas
          > http://www.photo-culture.com/
          > http://www.360cities.net/profile/thomas-humeau

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "thumeau" <thumeau@...> wrote:
            > - Higher res. If I'm not wrong, I would need to do 6 around plus Nadir but with the 24Megapix of the Nex-7, I guess it would double the panorama size from ~6000x3000 to ~12000x6000

            You would need 6 around + Z + N. If my simulation is correct, this would yield an equirectangular image of around 16000x8000.

            John
          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
              With the micro-4/3 and the Samyang (Rokinon, etc rebadged), you get about the same as the 10.5mm on APS-C.  2x7.5 mm = 15mm, 1.5 x 10.5mm = 15.75 mm. I find using my Olympus E-P2 with the Rokinon to be virtually the same as using the 10.5 with my old Fuji S2, except it is a small fraction of the weight and takes better pictures 8-)  Plus, the <$300 price of the awesome Samyang/Rokinon is awesome!

              John

              John Riley
              4Pi-VR Media Solutions
              http://4pi-vr.com
              johnriley@...
              (h)864-461-3504
              (c)864-431-7075
              (w)864-503-5775

              On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:41 AM, thumeau wrote:

              One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm looking at the Sony NEX rather than the micro 4/3 because of the sensor size.
              Again, I might be wrong but I would assume I wouldn't be able to do a full pano with 6 around + nadir using a micro 4/3 + Nikkor 10.5...

            • markus_matern
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                > [...]
                > And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.

                Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:

                You find the building instructions here:
                http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
                and here:
                http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/

                All the best,
                PanoTwin Markus
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                  Am 29.01.2012 22:15, schrieb markus_matern:
                  > That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:

                  Few days ago - a more low tech solution:
                  http://tksharpless.net/SonyAirRelease/SonyAirPole.html

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                    I made a servo + battery + relay + wireless remote solution when I was shooting pole Nex5/10.5mm Nikkor panos
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc
                    Here is a Nex5/10.5mm pano
                    http://www.mediavr.com/cruisedrill2.htm

                    But the lack of good native lenses and the interface (plus the remote issue) drove me away in the end. Even if you get an IR solution working the latency is more than a wired remote.

                    One good thing about Nex+Nikkor10.5 combo is that the sizable adapter behind the lens allows you to install additional custom flare baffling for the system, eg. a rectangular baffle at the back of the adapter. Significant I think, especially if you are using a shaved Nikkor.

                    PeterM

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markus_matern" <mac.mateng@...> wrote:

                    > > [...]
                    > > And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.
                    >
                    > Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:
                    >
                    > You find the building instructions here:
                    > http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
                    > and here:
                    > http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    > PanoTwin Markus

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                      Those are pretty good. What do you use now?

                      panovrx wrote:
                      > I made a servo + battery + relay + wireless remote solution when I was shooting pole Nex5/10.5mm Nikkor panos
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc
                      > Here is a Nex5/10.5mm pano
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/cruisedrill2.htm
                      >
                      > But the lack of good native lenses and the interface (plus the remote issue) drove me away in the end. Even if you get an IR solution working the latency is more than a wired remote.
                      >
                      > One good thing about Nex+Nikkor10.5 combo is that the sizable adapter behind the lens allows you to install additional custom flare baffling for the system, eg. a rectangular baffle at the back of the adapter. Significant I think, especially if you are using a shaved Nikkor.
                      >
                      > PeterM
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markus_matern" <mac.mateng@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
                      >>> [...]
                      >>> And it also got a remote but it is an infrared remote which is very hard to use for panos.
                      >> Furthermore you can't combine the IR remote mode with any of the other shooting modes like bracketing or anything else. That's exactely why I started a project to remote control the NEX via a mechanical trigger:
                      >>
                      >> You find the building instructions here:
                      >> http://www.panotwins.de/technical/nex-remote-trigger-with-arduino/
                      >> and here:
                      >> http://www.panotwins.de/technical/remote-trigger-with-arduino-a-shield-in-a-box/
                      >>
                      >> All the best,
                      >> PanoTwin Markus

                    • thomas_krueger_eu
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                        From http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-three-new-nex-cameras-coming-within-the-next-eight-months/
                        "There will be three new NEX cameras within the next 8 months. Sony will announce the first camera in April, another camera in Summer and another one at Photokina."

                        A full-frame body including all the missing features would be nice...