Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Quick survey on software updates

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
      I'm pretty sure with VMware you can virtualise as many old OSs as you like.

      Matt

      On 29 Jan 2012, at 13:40, Erik Krause wrote:

      Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
      > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
      > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
      > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

      Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
      complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
      7 machine...

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
        Il 29/01/2012 14.40, Erik Krause ha scritto:
        > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
        >> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
        >> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
        >> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
        >
        > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
        > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
        > 7 machine...

        Installing OS X (not server) in a VMWare virtual machine is not
        officially supported, but it is possible with some fiddling at different
        levels of difficulty.
        The Internet contains plenty of information about it.

        Fulvio Senore
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012

          > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
          > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
          > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
          > > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
          >
          > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
          > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
          > 7 machine...

          Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
          http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

          Hans
        • Fulvio Senore
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
            Il 29/01/2012 17.03, Hans ha scritto:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause<erik.krause@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
            >>> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
            >>> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
            >>> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
            >>
            >> Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
            >> complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
            >> 7 machine...
            >

            > Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
            > http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

            You read the list of operating systems where you can install Parallels
            (known as "host").

            If you read the list of guest operating systems you can see that only
            the server versions of OS X are supported (maybe with the exception of
            Lion, I did not read more).

            The problem is not technical, it looks like Apple does not want it to
            happen.

            Fulvio
          • ptgroup
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
              oh- right Hans.
              I was reading about the 2/3- but that´s not what he wanted.
              But VRWave give plenty of info´s also for a 1.5 crop
              Ciao
              Mike

              Mit freundlichen Grüssen
              Virtugraf M. Hundrieser

              http://www.virtugraf.de
              ----------------------------
              360° VR Fotografie:
              http://www.360de.de

              NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
              http://www.abstraktfoto.de
              -----------------------------
              Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
              http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

              > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion
              will lose
              > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug
              in for PS,
              > > both of which I regard as almost essential
              tools.

              > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I
              still have my
              > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on
              my new windows
              > 7 machine...

              Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
              http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

              Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
            • Matthew Stephenson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
                VMware Fusion and Parallels would work well.  I use them both on my Macs.

                On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
                  I understand your frustration.  Larger shops test upgrades before implementing them to insure mission critical software works as needed after the upgrade.  As a rule, a new OS should not be loaded the instant it is released.  Give it a couple of weeks to see what the feedback is, and then test before making the jump.

                  Jumping to Lion is not a OS update.  It is a new, reengineered OS.  When making a jump like that there will always be compatibility issues.  For the most part you would be better off going back to SL.

                  mws

                  On Jan 29, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Bruce Hemming wrote:

                  More frustrating is when the OS updates and makes old software redundant, my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS, both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

                  I understand why this is happening, we are after all a very small community and software developers are unlikely to get rich from our purchases but still exasperating.

                  Regards

                  Bruce

                  Bruce Hemming
                  Bruce Hemming Photography
                  Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                  Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                  e-Mail: bruce@...
                  Skype: bhemmingphoto

                  This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise bruce@....  Dissemination, distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited. The reliability of this method of communication cannot be guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted, delayed, may arrive incomplete, contain viruses or be affected by other interference. Bruce Hemming Photography has taken all reasonable steps to reduce risks against viruses but cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of this transmission.