Re: Quick survey on software updates

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
      Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
      > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
      > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
      > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

      Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
      complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
      7 machine...

    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
        I'm pretty sure with VMware you can virtualise as many old OSs as you like.

        Matt

        On 29 Jan 2012, at 13:40, Erik Krause wrote:

        Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
        > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
        > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
        > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

        Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
        complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
        7 machine...

      • Fulvio Senore
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
          Il 29/01/2012 14.40, Erik Krause ha scritto:
          > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
          >> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
          >> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
          >> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
          >
          > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
          > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
          > 7 machine...

          Installing OS X (not server) in a VMWare virtual machine is not
          officially supported, but it is possible with some fiddling at different
          levels of difficulty.
          The Internet contains plenty of information about it.

          Fulvio Senore
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012

            > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
            > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
            > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
            > > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
            >
            > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
            > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
            > 7 machine...

            Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
            http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

            Hans
          • Fulvio Senore
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
              Il 29/01/2012 17.03, Hans ha scritto:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause<erik.krause@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
              >>> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
              >>> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
              >>> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
              >>
              >> Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
              >> complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
              >> 7 machine...
              >

              > Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
              > http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

              You read the list of operating systems where you can install Parallels
              (known as "host").

              If you read the list of guest operating systems you can see that only
              the server versions of OS X are supported (maybe with the exception of
              Lion, I did not read more).

              The problem is not technical, it looks like Apple does not want it to
              happen.

              Fulvio
            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                oh- right Hans.
                I was reading about the 2/3- but that´s not what he wanted.
                But VRWave give plenty of info´s also for a 1.5 crop
                Ciao
                Mike

                Mit freundlichen Grüssen
                Virtugraf M. Hundrieser

                http://www.virtugraf.de
                ----------------------------
                360° VR Fotografie:
                http://www.360de.de

                NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                -----------------------------
                Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

                > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion
                will lose
                > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug
                in for PS,
                > > both of which I regard as almost essential
                tools.

                > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I
                still have my
                > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on
                my new windows
                > 7 machine...

                Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
                http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

                Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
              • Matthew Stephenson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
                  VMware Fusion and Parallels would work well.  I use them both on my Macs.

                  On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
                    I understand your frustration.  Larger shops test upgrades before implementing them to insure mission critical software works as needed after the upgrade.  As a rule, a new OS should not be loaded the instant it is released.  Give it a couple of weeks to see what the feedback is, and then test before making the jump.

                    Jumping to Lion is not a OS update.  It is a new, reengineered OS.  When making a jump like that there will always be compatibility issues.  For the most part you would be better off going back to SL.

                    mws

                    On Jan 29, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Bruce Hemming wrote:

                    More frustrating is when the OS updates and makes old software redundant, my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS, both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

                    I understand why this is happening, we are after all a very small community and software developers are unlikely to get rich from our purchases but still exasperating.

                    Regards

                    Bruce

                    Bruce Hemming
                    Bruce Hemming Photography
                    Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                    Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                    e-Mail: bruce@...
                    Skype: bhemmingphoto

                    This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise bruce@....  Dissemination, distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited. The reliability of this method of communication cannot be guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted, delayed, may arrive incomplete, contain viruses or be affected by other interference. Bruce Hemming Photography has taken all reasonable steps to reduce risks against viruses but cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of this transmission.