Quick survey on software updates

  • Christian Bloch
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2012
      Hey guys,

      The recent thread reminded me of a question I always wanted to ask:

      How do you deal with software updates?

      Which programs do you keep up with, and which do you stick with old versions until you're forced to update?

      Myself, I keep everything on the edge and use the latest version of everything. Sometimes even the beta version. But it dawns on me that I'm the exception, and part of my update craziness is that I do a lot of screenshots for the book. But how do you handle it?

      Blochi
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2012
        Everything except for krpano which required a devel environment to ensure old code is still functioning as expected. Otherwise, I find beta / devel versions to generally be more stable than "stable".

        Sacha Griffin
        Office: 404-551-4275
        GV: 404-665-9990

        On Jan 28, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

        Hey guys,

        The recent thread reminded me of a question I always wanted to ask:

        How do you deal with software updates?

        Which programs do you keep up with, and which do you stick with old versions until you're forced to update?

        Myself, I keep everything on the edge and use the latest version of everything. Sometimes even the beta version. But it dawns on me that I'm the exception, and part of my update craziness is that I do a lot of screenshots for the book. But how do you handle it?

        Blochi

      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 28, 2012
          HI,

          2012/1/28 Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>

          The recent thread reminded me of a question I always wanted to ask:

          How do you deal with software updates?

          I usually update my software one version yes, the next no. Unless the updates are free, or almost free. I haven´t updated Autocad, for instance, since 2008 (but I rarely use it now and it wouldn´t be cheap to upgrade it).

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          felipe@...

        • Bruce Hemming
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
            More frustrating is when the OS updates and makes old software redundant, my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS, both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

            I understand why this is happening, we are after all a very small community and software developers are unlikely to get rich from our purchases but still exasperating.

            Regards

            Bruce

            Bruce Hemming
            Bruce Hemming Photography
            Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
            Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
            e-Mail: bruce@...
            Skype: bhemmingphoto

            This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise bruce@....  Dissemination, distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited. The reliability of this method of communication cannot be guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted, delayed, may arrive incomplete, contain viruses or be affected by other interference. Bruce Hemming Photography has taken all reasonable steps to reduce risks against viruses but cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of this transmission.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
              Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
              > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
              > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
              > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

              Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
              complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
              7 machine...

            • Matthew Rogers
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                I'm pretty sure with VMware you can virtualise as many old OSs as you like.

                Matt

                On 29 Jan 2012, at 13:40, Erik Krause wrote:

                Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
                > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
                > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
                > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.

                Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
                complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
                7 machine...

              • Fulvio Senore
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                  Il 29/01/2012 14.40, Erik Krause ha scritto:
                  > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
                  >> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
                  >> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
                  >> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
                  >
                  > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
                  > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
                  > 7 machine...

                  Installing OS X (not server) in a VMWare virtual machine is not
                  officially supported, but it is possible with some fiddling at different
                  levels of difficulty.
                  The Internet contains plenty of information about it.

                  Fulvio Senore
                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012

                    > Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
                    > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
                    > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
                    > > both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
                    >
                    > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
                    > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
                    > 7 machine...

                    Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
                    http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

                    Hans
                  • Fulvio Senore
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                      Il 29/01/2012 17.03, Hans ha scritto:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause<erik.krause@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Am 29.01.2012 13:49, schrieb Bruce Hemming:
                      >>> my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion will lose
                      >>> functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug in for PS,
                      >>> both of which I regard as almost essential tools.
                      >>
                      >> Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I still have my
                      >> complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on my new windows
                      >> 7 machine...
                      >

                      > Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
                      > http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

                      You read the list of operating systems where you can install Parallels
                      (known as "host").

                      If you read the list of guest operating systems you can see that only
                      the server versions of OS X are supported (maybe with the exception of
                      Lion, I did not read more).

                      The problem is not technical, it looks like Apple does not want it to
                      happen.

                      Fulvio
                    • ptgroup
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 29, 2012
                        oh- right Hans.
                        I was reading about the 2/3- but that´s not what he wanted.
                        But VRWave give plenty of info´s also for a 1.5 crop
                        Ciao
                        Mike

                        Mit freundlichen Grüssen
                        Virtugraf M. Hundrieser

                        http://www.virtugraf.de
                        ----------------------------
                        360° VR Fotografie:
                        http://www.360de.de

                        NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                        http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                        -----------------------------
                        Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                        http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

                        > > my biggest gripes are that updating to Lion
                        will lose
                        > > functionality with Cubic Convertor and PanoPreviewer plug
                        in for PS,
                        > > both of which I regard as almost essential
                        tools.

                        > Is there no possibility for a virtual machine on Mac? I
                        still have my
                        > complete legacy windows 2000 system running in vmware on
                        my new windows
                        > 7 machine...

                        Supported systems with Parallels on OSX from Leopard to Lion
                        http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/system-requirements/

                        Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
                      • Matthew Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
                          VMware Fusion and Parallels would work well.  I use them both on my Macs.

                          On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote