4096 cubefaces = what lens?

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2012
      Can anyone help with some basic calculation, please? :)

      I need to make spherical panos with 4096-size cubefaces.

      What lens would be required to shoot such panos, on a 1.6x crop sensor, or a fullframe sensor?

      thanks,
      Jeffrey
    • Matthew Rogers

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2012
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone help with some basic calculation, please? :)
          >
          > I need to make spherical panos with 4096-size cubefaces.
          >
          > What lens would be required to shoot such panos, on a 1.6x crop sensor, or
          > a fullframe sensor?

          12870 pixels to be precise.

          A 5d MarkII with 15mm lens or a Nikon 16mp like the D7000 with the nikkor 10,5mm will give you enough.

          Hans
        • zakato360
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 26, 2012
            As explained by Hans some time ago dividing the equi size by pi (3.1416...) will give the cube face size. In this case it works the other way round so this this 12870 comes from multiplying the cube face by pi.

            It is a nice rule of thumb and thought I would write it down here again to clarify it for others (credit goes to Hans anyway)

            cheers,

            Antonio