Re: [PanoToolsNG] Photoshop Adjustment Layers/Adjustments on Seperate Image Areas?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
      On 12/07/2006, at 3:33 PM, Wheaton, Simon wrote:
      > I want to apply different adjustment layers
      > (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both the ground and to
      > the sky.
      >
      > I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight adjustment setting on
      > both the ground and the sky.

      I'd suggest you copy for eg the sky area only with a soft feathered
      edge to another layer and apply the adjustment layers separately.

      > I tried it and it seems that the adjustment layers, as well as the
      > Shadow/Highlight adjustment, affect the whole image and not just the
      > separate areas of ground or sky.

      I tend not to use adjustment layers myself - preferring to select the
      area of concern (or a copy of it) and apply the effects directly.

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • yuval levy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
        Hi Simon,

        --- "Wheaton, Simon" <simon.wheaton@...>
        wrote:
        > I have a stitched/blended landscape pano in
        > Photoshop that contains ground and sky.

        I assume Photoshop CS2.

        > I want to apply different adjustment layers
        > (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both
        > the ground and to the sky.

        Possible, you can add a layer mask to the adjustment
        layers. One way to do it is to select the area as
        described by Kathy, then with the selected area create
        the adjustment layer. The mask will be created
        automatically and you can still edit it by clicking on
        the mask (next to the layer itself) for fine
        retouching.

        > I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight
        > adjustment setting on both the ground and the sky.

        AFAIK S/H can not be done with a layer, but if you
        already have the layers and the selection, it is
        possible to re-select the specific area. Once you have
        a selected area, the S/H settings are applied only to
        the selection. It is possible (and recommended) to
        achieve the same result as S/H with curves adjustment,
        so there is no real need to use S/H other than it is
        easier.

        I prefer using adjustment layers because they leave my
        underlying original image untouched and I can always
        adjustment settings. The changes with S/H, as well as
        the changes of
        curves/levels/brightness/contrast-hue/saturation
        applied directly to the image are irreversible once
        saved and can't be replicated easily to other areas of
        the picture - all thing that adjustment layers and
        their masks enable.

        > Will the masks allow different settings to be used
        > with the Shadow/Highlight adjustment as well?

        not AFAIK.

        > Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment
        > is not available as
        > an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)

        I am afraid you are correct. But if you become
        proficient with the curves tool, you won't miss it.

        Yuv

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
          On 11 Jul 2006 at 23:14, yuval levy wrote:

          > > Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment
          > > is not available as
          > > an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)
          >
          > I am afraid you are correct. But if you become
          > proficient with the curves tool, you won't miss it.

          Well, I would definitely miss S/H ;)
          You can treat S/H as adjustment layers (which I use a lot) by copying your entire image
          to a new layer and apply S/H to it. Then you can apply a Layer mask to that layer to
          control where S/H should be applied. And you could adjust the Layer fill or transparency
          (never see much difference between them..) and blend mode. If you need different S/H for
          different areas you could just add a new layer/mask for each.
          Layers and masks are great :)

          --
          bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
          Kristiansand, Norway