Horizontal Panoramas

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
      Is it possible to shot horizontal panoramas with a Nodal Ninja 3?
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012

        Yes, it will shoot a full sphere.

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
          Is there any documentation on the set-up for this?

          > Yes, it will shoot a full sphere.
          >

          > Sacha Griffin

          > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
          >
          > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
          >
          > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
          >
          > EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
          >
          > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
          >
          > Office: 404-551-4275

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
            What's your definition of a horizontal panorama?

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
              Landscape

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                Am 21.01.2012 20:40, schrieb Richard:

                > Landscape

                As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                landscape oriented?

              • Richard
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                  yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                  landscape oriented?

                  Richard

                  > Am 21.01.2012 20:40, schrieb Richard:
                  >
                  > > Landscape
                  >
                  > As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                  > shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                  > landscape oriented?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                • texas360dave
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                    We use a Canon 5d, full circle Sigma 8mm fisheye lens. The camera is set in landscape orientation. We take 4 images at 0, 90, 180 and 270° with 5° tilt up. PTgui does a great job in stitching. Yes we found the minimum parallax point. We use a NN R1 pan head.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                    > yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                    > landscape oriented?
                    >
                    > Richard
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Am 21.01.2012 20:40, schrieb Richard:
                    > >
                    > > > Landscape
                    > >
                    > > As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                    > > shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                    > > landscape oriented?
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Erik Krause
                    > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                  • texas360dave
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                      I should also mention that the 5d has a full 35mm size sensor with a 1.0 crop factor or no cropping.. meaning what I see through the view finder is a full circle image on a black background.

                      Other cameras have a smaller sensor and the full cicle lens image is cropped left and right portrait or top/bottom in landscape view.

                      I must have missed what kind of camera / lens you are using.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "texas360dave" <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                      > We use a Canon 5d, full circle Sigma 8mm fisheye lens. The camera is set in landscape orientation. We take 4 images at 0, 90, 180 and 270° with 5° tilt up. PTgui does a great job in stitching. Yes we found the minimum parallax point. We use a NN R1 pan head.
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rcgvt@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                      > > landscape oriented?
                      > >
                      > > Richard
                      > >

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:

                      > > > As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                      > > > shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                      > > > landscape oriented?
                      > > >
                      > > > --
                      > > > Erik Krause
                      > > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                        Please try to be a bit more precise on what you really want.
                        If language is a problem use Google translator.

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                        > yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                        > landscape oriented?
                        >
                        > Richard
                        >

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Am 21.01.2012 20:40, schrieb Richard:
                        > >
                        > > > Landscape
                        > >
                        > > As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                        > > shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                        > > landscape oriented?
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Erik Krause
                        > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                          I am using a Sony A55 and a Samsung 8 mm and a Sigma 10-20 mm.
                          My Sony has a 1.5 crop sensor.
                          I found the parallax for the 8 mm.
                          Had to replace the mob on the rail with a thiner thumb screw because
                          the nob was not allowing me to bring the camera all the way back on the rail.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "texas360dave" <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                          > I should also mention that the 5d has a full 35mm size sensor with a 1.0 crop factor or no cropping.. meaning what I see through the view finder is a full circle image on a black background.
                          >
                          > Other cameras have a smaller sensor and the full cicle lens image is cropped left and right portrait or top/bottom in landscape view.
                          >
                          > I must have missed what kind of camera / lens you are using.
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "texas360dave" <texas360dave@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We use a Canon 5d, full circle Sigma 8mm fisheye lens. The camera is set in landscape orientation. We take 4 images at 0, 90, 180 and 270° with 5° tilt up. PTgui does a great job in stitching. Yes we found the minimum parallax point. We use a NN R1 pan head.
                          > >
                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rcgvt@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                          > > > landscape oriented?
                          > > >
                          > > > Richard

                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 21, 2012
                            Since I cannot send you a Privet Message, I have to post it here:.
                            In the future, make your issue (s), Private!

                            Sorry to afend an Engilsh Lit Major!
                            Everyone else got it, maybe you are the one that needs Google Translator?

                            Sorry, but I was muiltia tasking, while on the phone and internet and needed
                            a quick response, which I got.

                            Thanks to all!

                            Richard

                            "Please try to be a bit more precise on what you really want.
                            If language is a problem use Google translator."

                            In the future, make your issue (s), Private!

                            Sorry to afend an Engilsh Lit Major!
                            Everyone else got it, maybe you are the one that needs Google Translator?

                            Sorry, but I was muiltia tasking, while on the phone and internet.

                            Richard

                            > Please try to be a bit more precise on what you really want.
                            > If language is a problem use Google translator.
                            >
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rcgvt@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > yes, I want you want to mount the camera
                            > > landscape oriented?
                            > >
                            > > Richard
                            > >

                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:

                            > > > As long as you can adjust your lens to the no-parallax-point you can
                            > > > shoot any kind of panoramas. Or do you want to mount the camera
                            > > > landscape oriented?
                            > > >
                            > > > --
                            > > > Erik Krause
                            > > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                          • Bjørn K Nilssen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 22, 2012
                              På Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:58:42 +0100, skrev Richard <rcgvt@...>:

                              > Since I cannot send you a Privet Message, I have to post it here:.
                              > In the future, make your issue (s), Private!
                              >
                              > Sorry to afend an Engilsh Lit Major!
                              > Everyone else got it, maybe you are the one that needs Google Translator?
                              >
                              > Sorry, but I was muiltia tasking, while on the phone and internet and needed
                              > a quick response, which I got.

                              Which shows that muiltia tasking isn't always the right thing to do ;)
                              You sure did get quick responses, but as far as I can see you never got a reply to what you apparently wanted to ask about?
                              But then we still don't know if you wanted a multi-row NN3 with horizontally mounted camera...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 22, 2012
                                Am 22.01.2012 07:58, schrieb Richard:
                                > Since I cannot send you a Privet Message, I have to post it here:.
                                > In the future, make your issue (s), Private!

                                This is no private issue. Your question was very hard to understand, if
                                at all. Jürgen wanted to show you a way how to improve.

                                > Sorry to afend an Engilsh Lit Major!
                                > Everyone else got it, maybe you are the one that needs Google Translator?

                                No need to offend someone who wants to help. We have many non-native
                                english speakers here (me included) and your scarce wording suggested
                                the same for you. It was a lot crystal ball gazing to get an idea what
                                you actually want.

                                Put some more effort in your questions if you want better answers and
                                don't offend those who answer most questions here.

                                Please note that talk about posting manners and such is off topic on
                                this list. We have a separate list for that:

                                Your PanotoolsNG co-moderator
                              • Christian Bloch
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 22, 2012
                                  Hi Richard,

                                  No reason to act offended.

                                  Your question was muffled and not clearly at all. How come you expect perfect strangers to put more effort into solving your problem than the effort you put into formulating a question? When you sent out a one-word email "Landscape" I was inclined to answer with only "Yes!". But even that felt like it was more effort than your question deserves.

                                  Blochi

                                  On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:58 PM, Richard wrote:

                                  Since I cannot send you a Privet Message, I have to post it here:.
                                  In the future, make your issue (s), Private!

                                  Sorry to afend an Engilsh Lit Major!
                                  Everyone else got it, maybe you are the one that needs Google Translator?

                                  Sorry, but I was muiltia tasking, while on the phone and internet and needed
                                  a quick response, which I got.

                                  Thanks to all!

                                  Richard

                                • alan_r_cam
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 23, 2012
                                    > This is no private issue. Your question was very hard to understand, if
                                    > at all. Jürgen wanted to show you a way how to improve.

                                    To summarise what I THINK is the question (and answer):
                                    Portrait pictures are tall and thin, landscape pictures are short and wide. Many panorama heads hold the camera in portrait mode.

                                    Q: Can you take landscape panoramas? How?
                                    [I think OP mentioned NN3]

                                    A: Yes, you can. The easiest way is with a longer lens (say 15mm on my old Nikon D200). Forget about angling up or down - just take 4 or 5 shots in a row, with a fair amount of overlap.

                                    Once you stitch these portraits together, the final picture will be wide, ie. landscape format.

                                    Cheers to all,
                                    -- Alan Campbell