OK, am I missing something...

  • Matt Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
      I just got done reading this and wonder how they got the funding . I know there is an easier way to skin the cat on this one.

      Matt Smith
      PhotoSpherix
      317.396.5791
      Indianapolis, Indiana USA

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
        That is an industrial strength modeling system. The real strength is that it not only
        captures the geometry -- but the texture map of the surface and the specular reflection.

        All in one go. That's a big deal. Look at the reconstruction video -- you can't tell the
        difference from the real object.

        Matt Smith wrote:
        > I just got done reading this and wonder how they got the funding . I know there is an easier way to skin the cat on this one.
        > http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57362393-1/camera-system-creates-3d-models-not-quite-home-or-office-friendly/
        >

        > Matt Smith
        > PhotoSpherix
        > 317.396.5791
        > Spin 360 Product Photography
        > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
        > http://www.photospherix.com

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
          I'd like to know how long the entire process takes.
          Remarkable result but would also like to see a more complex object.

          > That is an industrial strength modeling system. The real strength is that it not only
          > captures the geometry -- but the texture map of the surface and the specular reflection.
          >
          > All in one go. That's a big deal. Look at the reconstruction video -- you can't tell the
          > difference from the real object.
          >
          > Matt Smith wrote:
          > > I just got done reading this and wonder how they got the funding . I know there is an easier way to skin the cat on this one.
          > > http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57362393-1/camera-system-creates-3d-models-not-quite-home-or-office-friendly/
          > >

          > > Matt Smith
          > > PhotoSpherix
          > > 317.396.5791
          > > Spin 360 Product Photography
          > > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
          > > http://www.photospherix.com

        • Matt Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
            I didn't think it got the specular reflection right, that was my opinion. Now lets have some fun with it, give it something with a true reflection, let it go crazy. How about a gazing ball!
            Don't get me wrong, I have a million ideas running through my head right this second on a background removal system. If I can only get the time to get the voice/idea out of my head.

            Matt Smith
            PhotoSpherix
            317.396.5791
            Indianapolis, Indiana USA

            Matt Smith wrote:
            I just got done reading this and wonder how they got the funding . I know there is an easier way to skin the cat on this one.
            http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57362393-1/camera-system-creates-3d-models-not-quite-home-or-office-friendly/

            Matt Smith
            PhotoSpherix
            317.396.5791
            Spin 360 Product Photography
            Indianapolis, Indiana USA
            http://www.photospherix.com

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Christian Bloch
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
              Agreed, it's actually a very nice system. The key is in capturing the material properties.

              It looks like a take on Debevec's work with the Lightstages. Impressive machines, seen them in action once. They do all the structured lighting passes in millisecond intervals now, and capture the images with high-speed cameras. Essentially, that means 3D-scanning at video frame rates. Check out this one:

              Blochi

              Matt Smith wrote:
              > I just got done reading this and wonder how they got the funding . I know there is an easier way to skin the cat on this one.
              > http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57362393-1/camera-system-creates-3d-models-not-quite-home-or-office-friendly/
              >

              > Matt Smith
              > PhotoSpherix
              > 317.396.5791
              > Spin 360 Product Photography
              > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
              > http://www.photospherix.com

            • erik_leeman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 20, 2012
                For those interested in these things, here's another rather nice website:

                http://george-vogiatzis.org/

                Cheers!

                Erik Leeman

                <http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>