PTGui Viewers

  • Kyle
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 19, 2012
      In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??
      Thanks
      Kyle
    • Uri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <kylegoodnight@...> wrote:

        > In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??

        I do not see any such item in Tools/Options/ in my (Mac) PTgui Pro 9.1.3. What version of the software are you using? what are the "viewers" that you can choose from?

        Cheers, Uri
      • Kyle Goodnight
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
          Hummm...this is on the windows version. I just checked again...Click  Tools/Options and then Viewers tab and I get 3 blank items where you can put the proper viewer for 9.1.3 version:
          1. Panorama
          2. Rectilinear
          3. Cylindrical

          All are blank and require an entry to have the appropriate viewer available.  Maybe Apple has no options.

          Any windows users out there who has filled in the blanks??/
          Kyle

          Friday, January 20, 2012 1:52 PM

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <kylegoodnight@...> wrote:

          > In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??

          I do not see any such item in Tools/Options/ in my (Mac) PTgui Pro 9.1.3. What version of the software are you using? what are the "viewers" that you can choose from?

          Cheers, Uri

          Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:00 PM

          In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??
          Thanks
          Kyle

      • rcgillespie
        Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
          On a Mac it is in PTGui / Preferences / viewers
        • Michel Thoby
          Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
            Hi Uri,

            Le 20 janv. 2012 à 19:52, Uri a écrit :

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <kylegoodnight@...> wrote:

            > In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??

            I do not see any such item in Tools/Options/ in my (Mac) PTgui Pro 9.1.3. What version of the software are you using? what are the "viewers" that you can choose from?

            Cheers, Uri
            On the Mac: (Main Menu) PTGui Pro/Preferences/ Viewers  is the way to go.

            Michel
            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
              Am 20.01.2012 04:00, schrieb Kyle:
              > What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of
              > different views available but what is majority using??

              Speaking for windows only you don't have many choices for equirect
              viewers: DevalVR stand alone, FSPViewer, PanoGLView and QuickTime Player.

              If you leave the other two empty PTGui uses the system defaults for
              JPEGs. If you frequently work with cylindricals you can use DevalVR or
              FSPViewer for "Cylindrical JPEG". DevalVR assumes a 360° cylindrical if
              the aspect ratio isn't exactly 2:1, FSPViewer assumes same if the width
              is larger than twice the height. I don't know about the other viewers.

            • Fulvio Senore
              Message 7 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
                Il 20/01/2012 21.37, Erik Krause ha scritto:
                > Am 20.01.2012 04:00, schrieb Kyle:
                >DevalVR assumes a 360° cylindrical if
                > the aspect ratio isn't exactly 2:1, FSPViewer assumes same if the width
                > is larger than twice the height. I don't know about the other viewers.

                Just a small correction: FSPViewer always assumes that the input image
                is equirectangular. If the image width it exactly twice its height it
                will assume that it is a full equirectangular and you will be able to
                see the zenith and nadir in the centre of the screen, otherwise the
                upper or lower image border will remain at the screen border.

                Since cylindrical images usually have a limited vertical field of view
                viewing them with FSPViewer will cause limited distortion so it can be
                used as a cylindrical viewer with good results. Keep in mind that
                distortion increases as you move away from the horizon.

                Fulvio Senore
                Message 8 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012

                  I forgot Panini of course: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/

                  Message 9 of 12 , Jan 20, 2012
                    Am 20.01.2012 21:49, schrieb Fulvio Senore:
                    > Since cylindrical images usually have a limited vertical field of view
                    > viewing them with FSPViewer will cause limited distortion so it can be
                    > used as a cylindrical viewer with good results. Keep in mind that
                    > distortion increases as you move away from the horizon.

                    I didn't see that in my short test with a landscape panorama. However,
                    since cylindrical panoramas are usually used for print and hence viewed
                    "unrolled" it is probably recommended to use a rectilinear viewer anyway.

                    Regarding the original question: For the rectilinear option there are
                    numerous image viewers available, most of them better than the OS built
                    in ones. I personally use IrfanView, but that's only because I'm used to
                    it...

                  • Uri
                    Message 10 of 12 , Jan 21, 2012
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <kylegoodnight@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > In PTgui Pro Tools/Options/Viewers, there are three definitions for viewers. What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of different views available but what is majority using??

                      Ok, on the Mac it's in the preferences. The "Viewers" are used by PTGui for the 'Preview' of the panorama, prior to final stitching.

                      Equirectangular is the format of choice for full 360° x 180° panoramas.
                      Rectilinear is for "flat" stitching of simple images
                      cylindrical is for horizontal-only panoramas (limited zenith/nadir).
                    • Kyle
                      Message 11 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012
                        Erik and all who commented...
                        Thanks much for the responses and the suggestions/education. Much appreciated. I am using the 3Dvista Enterprise package and it does a good job for the real estate tours I do. With this package, you are pretty well confined to the options/controls included in the package, and as I said, it does a good job, well worth the money for a license.
                        However, I want to be able to do a bit more editing and include my own ideas in the final product. I really like PTgui Pro and am enjoying learning how it works...

                        I have been looking at Pano2VR as well from GardenNome which has some interesting features/Controls. Has anyone here used this product? If so would appreciate comments on the package, good or bad...

                        Thanks again to all
                        Kyle

                        > Am 20.01.2012 04:00, schrieb Kyle:
                        > > What are the best selections for these 3 viewers? Probably a lot of
                        > > different views available but what is majority using??
                        >
                        > Speaking for windows only you don't have many choices for equirect
                        > viewers: DevalVR stand alone, FSPViewer, PanoGLView and QuickTime Player.
                        >
                        > If you leave the other two empty PTGui uses the system defaults for
                        > JPEGs. If you frequently work with cylindricals you can use DevalVR or
                        > FSPViewer for "Cylindrical JPEG". DevalVR assumes a 360° cylindrical if
                        > the aspect ratio isn't exactly 2:1, FSPViewer assumes same if the width
                        > is larger than twice the height. I don't know about the other viewers.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Erik Krause
                        > http://www.erik-krause.de

                      • Uri