Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panoramic Applications and Tripod Heads

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2012
      Nodal Ninjas Rock
      way to go !!!

      :-)

      + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
      http://ayrton360.com
      twitter.com/ayrton360
      "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

      On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM, pecepe77 <pecepe77@...> wrote:
      I am a new member of this group and this is my first post. I appreciate being here.

      Recently I have become very interested in panoramic photography so I am at the bottom of the learning curve. I have made a few trial panoramas (rectilinear only). While these look ok, clearly there is a lot to learn.

      The images for these trials were taken using a tripod with a ball head and sometimes hand held. I have tried several panoramic programs. I found most of these too difficult to learn but have settled on PT Gui for the moment. Much to my surprise, MS's ICE works quite well and is not difficult to learn. So for now PT Gui is on the "back burner". I wonder whether ICE or PT Gui would serve me well in the future? I have made trial panos with ICE that came out quite well. I used ICE to make simple panos with five images across and three rows down without a hitch—which surprised me.

      I will be buying another head for my tripod. My choice will be between a Gigapan Epic Pro and a Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1-L w/RD16. There has been some criticism of the Gigapan's stability. Also, there are comment in the discussion section of its website stating that it (the Epic Pro) was designed for longer lenses so taking nadir shots would not be possible (taking nadir images has me puzzled anyway). The Nodal Ninja appears to be very well built so I am leaning towards it.

      Comments, insights and discussions about these tripod heads and the software applications mentioned above—or others that should be considered—would be most welcomed.
      Respectfully,

      Peter

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional