Tamaggo 14mp One Shot Camera Soon to be Released

  • Jim Sutherland
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 17 8:36 PM
      Greetings,

      Has anyone seen the new product Tomaggo ($200) that will soon be released.  Developed by immervision.
      Sample pano images seem quite good.  Looks like about a 200+ degree FOVcoverage lens.  Good dynamic range.  Maybe an inexpensive yet pretty good three shot full spherical pano solution?  Will have to fabricate a panorama mount for this one.

      Jim
      Fort St John
      British Columbia
      Canada

    • Hans
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 18 3:31 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sutherland" <jim@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Has anyone seen the new product Tomaggo ($200) that will soon be released. Developed by immervision.
        > http://www.tamaggo.com/main/contact/
        > http://www.tamaggo.com/main/experience/
        >
        > Sample pano images seem quite good. Looks like about a 200+ degree FOVcoverage lens.

        200?
        Its around 100 degree FOV. 90 degrees + a little below the horizon.
        Looks very weird if this is a fixed angle.

        Not sure what the idea is with that.

        Hans

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 18 12:50 PM
          Am 18.01.2012 12:31, schrieb Hans:
          > 200?
          > Its around 100 degree FOV. 90 degrees + a little below the horizon.

          100° down from zenith to either side gives 200° total FoV. Or would you
          say a sigma 8mm on a full frame has only 90° FoV if you point it upwards?

        • Michel Thoby
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 19 3:41 AM

            Le 18 janv. 2012 à 12:31, Hans a écrit :

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sutherland" <jim@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > Has anyone seen the new product Tomaggo ($200) that will soon be released. Developed by immervision.
            > http://www.tamaggo.com/main/contact/
            > http://www.tamaggo.com/main/experience/
            >
            > Sample pano images seem quite good. Looks like about a 200+ degree FOVcoverage lens.

            200?
            Its around 100 degree FOV. 90 degrees + a little below the horizon.
            Looks very weird if this is a fixed angle.

            Not sure what the idea is with that.

            Hans

            Good dynamic range. Maybe an inexpensive yet pretty good three shot full spherical pano solution? Will have to fabricate a panorama mount for this one.

            > Jim

            Three panoramic images are presently posted on the tamaggo website on three different pages. I agree with Jim: the images are quite good but are apparently presented at moderate resolution only. They are viewed in the browser window through a flash krpano-based Panotour Pro viewer. In all three cases the "fisheye-like" lens was pointing ("auto-detection orientation") at the zenith for shooting the sole image.
            Observations:
            1) None of the three panoramas has totally unobstructed sun light directly shinning on the lens. Resistance to flare is not fully demonstrated but it seems decently high when looking at one of the panorama where the sun shines through the foliage of a small tree in the background..
            2) The image that was captured on the sensor of the tamoggo 360 imager has most certainly been elliptically cropped or masked out by software: the lower curved image limit on the concerned square tiles is so sharp and "clean" that it cannot be the original natural border of the lens coverage captured on the sensor.
            3) The actual benefit for the end user of using the so-called "patented ImmerVision Enables panomorph technology" on the tamaggo 360 imager is not obvious. Reading the literature and patents on the subject reveals that It was originally intended for more efficient coverage of the sensor of retrofitted (low resolution) surveillance TV cameras and/or to improve the resolution of specific ROI in the panoramic image of these cameras. With the much higher CMOS pixel count of the tamaggo, the only real bonus goes to the vendor company as the software or firmware is inherently proprietary due to the highly specific anamorphic distortion 2D pattern.

            Back to the FOV here-above discussion: by peering the individual square tiles images from the krpano viewer, one can accurately estimate the final fisheye equivalent "FOV" of the tamaggo 360° imager. The vertical angle of the "cropped" panoramic image can be measured in a full 360 x 180 degrees "reconstructed" equirectangular frame: it spans ~106 degrees from the zenith down to the (perfectly straight) horizontal lower edge of the cropped image.
            As the lens axis was pointing straight to the zenith on the three posted panoramas, ~106 degrees is therefore the value of half the angle of view of an equivalent circular equidistant fisheye lens and 212 degrees is consequently the "FOV" of the so-called panomorph 360° optics.

            .... And that is an impressive figure as is implicitly said to efficiently cover a 14 MPix sensor! The device would therefore equal or beat our present pano photographic gears with a 8 mm circular fisheye on a 21 MPix FF sensor or a 5.6 mm fisheye on a cropped APS-C 18 MPix sensor for instance.
            At such a low price (< $200) it's IMO almost to good to be true. I am ager to buy one for testing (available 2Q 2012 they say).

            Michel

          • Bostjan Burger
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 19 5:16 AM
              I can't wait to get that device too... I am curious. Such scenes with the pole over the heads of the audience : http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2012_EPK/02_Januar_18/HisaEksperimentov.html , seems are going to be a "piece of cake" if the specifications of the new panoramic camera are going to be true also in real.

              Bostjan

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 19 5:21 AM
                The panoramas presented on the webpage are without doubt not made with this lens.
                First of all there is no way that a fisheye at a prize below $200 and with a 220 degree Fov can have the quality at the corners that this panoramas have.
                For example the Nikkor 10.5 does not at all have this sharpness at the edge.

                Also the cubefaces used are to large. You can not produce the size they have even if they actually have a Square 14mp sensor.
                Is there even possible to buy a square 14 mp sensor?

                The real size from that would be around 2000x2000 but these cubefaces are
                <image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="637" baseindex="0">
                <level tiledimagewidth="2547" tiledimageheight="2547">

                And if you read the reports from the CES show on January 10-13 they also report that they did not have a workable camera available

                http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/tamaggo-360-imager-concept-hands-on/

                Hans

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > As the lens axis was pointing straight to the zenith on the three posted panoramas, ~106 degrees is therefore the value of half the angle of view of an equivalent circular equidistant fisheye lens and 212 degrees is consequently the "FOV" of the so-called panomorph 360° optics.
                >
                > .... And that is an impressive figure as is implicitly said to efficiently cover a 14 MPix sensor! The device would therefore equal or beat our present pano photographic gears with a 8 mm circular fisheye on a 21 MPix FF sensor or a 5.6 mm fisheye on a cropped APS-C 18 MPix sensor for instance.
                > At such a low price (< $200) it's IMO almost to good to be true. I am ager to buy one for testing (available 2Q 2012 they say).

              • Jan Martin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 19 5:26 AM
                  Bostjan,
                  all,

                  keep in mind that the vertical field of view is very limited.
                  Just a tiny a bit below the horizon.

                  In the same situation, there would have been no heads at all in the panorama taken.
                  Just a real lot of ceiling.

                  Also the slightest bit off from 100% vertical will show a lot.
                  I really don't see no free-hand shooting without tripod for leveling.

                  Jan

                  On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  As the lens axis was pointing straight to the zenith on the three posted panoramas, ~106 degrees is therefore the value of half the angle of view of an equivalent circular equidistant fisheye lens and 212 degrees is consequently the "FOV" of the so-called panomorph 360° optics.

                  .... And that is an impressive figure as is implicitly said to efficiently cover a 14 MPix sensor! The device would therefore equal or beat our present pano photographic gears with a 8 mm circular fisheye on a 21 MPix FF sensor or a 5.6 mm fisheye on a cropped APS-C 18 MPix sensor for instance.
                  At such a low price (< $200) it's IMO almost to good to be true. I am ager to buy one for testing (available 2Q 2012 they say).

                  .

                  __,_._,__
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 19 7:49 AM

                    I think it’s more likely they WERE made with the lens, but not with this sensor.

                    Their lens hardware projects an elliptical fisheye image to use up more sensor real estate so it doesn’t need to be square.

                    Check out their videos for their security camera lens. Most likely it’s the exact same lens attached here to this piece of hardware.

                    Remember the 14 MP Kodak one-shots from 8 years ago? They were absolute CRAP. If the quality of a production tamaggo is anywhere near this, consider me impressed..

                    Tamaggo, isn’t that salmon roe on rice?

                    Sacha Griffin

                    http://www.seeit360.com

                    http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                    http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                    EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                    IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    Office: 404-551-4275

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 19 8:16 AM
                      I was thinking the same thing....

                      Hans wrote:
> [...]
                      >> As the lens axis was pointing straight to the zenith on the three posted panoramas, ~106 degrees is therefore the value of half the angle of view of an equivalent circular equidistant fisheye lens and 212 degrees is consequently the "FOV" of the so-called panomorph 360° optics.
                      >>
                      >> .... And that is an impressive figure as is implicitly said to efficiently cover a 14 MPix sensor! The device would therefore equal or beat our present pano photographic gears with a 8 mm circular fisheye on a 21 MPix FF sensor or a 5.6 mm fisheye on a cropped APS-C 18 MPix sensor for instance.
                      >> At such a low price (< $200) it's IMO almost to good to be true. I am ager to buy one for testing (available 2Q 2012 they say).

                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 19 8:20 AM
                        I have already had a look at the images here.
                        http://www.immervision.com/common/security/IMV1-13_Specifications_110323.pdf

                        They claim 100% more pixels but check in what area. If you look at the outer periferal area which is the area you see in the panorama from -10 to +20 degrees you get no real difference at all in resolution.

                        > I think it's more likely they WERE made with the lens, but not with this
                        > sensor.
                        >
                        > Their lens hardware projects an elliptical fisheye image to use up more
                        > sensor real estate so it doesn't need to be square.
                        >
                        > Check out their videos for their security camera lens. Most likely it's the
                        > exact same lens attached here to this piece of hardware.
                        >
                        > Remember the 14 MP Kodak one-shots from 8 years ago? They were absolute
                        > CRAP. If the quality of a production tamaggo is anywhere near this, consider
                        > me impressed..
                        >

                        > Tamaggo, isn't that salmon roe on rice?
                        >

                        > Sacha Griffin

                        > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
                        >
                        > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                        >
                        > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
                        >
                        > EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
                        >
                        > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
                        >
                        > Office: 404-551-4275

                      • Adrien Fontvielle
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 20 1:02 AM
                          You have to take into account that they do more than just scaling the image circle to fit horizontal sensor dimension. They also design their own distortion curve, meaning they can choose the angular resolution of different zones of the image, putting the accent on peripheric zones for instance. Of course central zone would be of lower resolution in this case.
                          I've seen some demo of immervision lens recently and it was quite impressive. I am eager to see results of this camera.
                          Adrien Fontvielle

                          2012/1/19 Hans <hans@...>

                          I have already had a look at the images here.
                          http://www.immervision.com/common/security/IMV1-13_Specifications_110323.pdf

                          They claim 100% more pixels but check in what area. If you look at the outer periferal area which is the area you see in the panorama from -10 to +20 degrees you get no real difference at all in resolution.

                          > I think it's more likely they WERE made with the lens, but not with this
                          > sensor.
                          >
                          > Their lens hardware projects an elliptical fisheye image to use up more
                          > sensor real estate so it doesn't need to be square.
                          >
                          > Check out their videos for their security camera lens. Most likely it's the
                          > exact same lens attached here to this piece of hardware.
                          >
                          > Remember the 14 MP Kodak one-shots from 8 years ago? They were absolute
                          > CRAP. If the quality of a production tamaggo is anywhere near this, consider
                          > me impressed..
                          >

                          > Tamaggo, isn't that salmon roe on rice?
                          >

                          > Sacha Griffin

                          > <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
                          >
                          > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                          >
                          > <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
                          >
                          > EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
                          >
                          > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                          > Office: 404-551-4275

                        • Michel Thoby
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 20 3:08 AM

                            Le 19 janv. 2012 à 14:21, Hans a écrit :

                            The panoramas presented on the webpage are without doubt not made with this lens.

                            Well, I had not read carefully enough the note at the bottom of each of their pages and especially the very last sentence of that note:

                            (Quote)
                            The images used on this site to represent images taken with the Tamaggo 360-imager are for illustrative purposes only.
                            (Unquote)

                            This makes me think that Hans is right .

                            Michel
                          • Hans
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 20 3:36 AM
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                              > Le 19 janv. 2012 à 14:21, Hans a écrit :
                              >
                              > > The panoramas presented on the webpage are without doubt not made with this lens.
                              >
                              > Well, I had not read carefully enough the note at the bottom of each of their pages and especially the very last sentence of that note:
                              >
                              > (Quote)
                              > The images used on this site to represent images taken with the Tamaggo 360-imager are for illustrative purposes only.
                              > (Unquote)
                              >
                              > This makes me think that Hans is right .

                              Thanks Michael

                              I had not seen that either, but I have made several tests with my full circle lenses pointing 90 degree up.

                              Hans

                              > Michel

                            • djfreddystapersma
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 20 4:23 AM
                                Well if you look at one of the images you can clearly see it is not done with this lens.
                                Under the sign earopaosale you can see a rear of a large truck. but where is the front??
                                under the sign from Crocs you see a person where the leg is cut off.
                                NO way a panomorphical lens doing 360x210 at once makes this kind of stitch errors.

                                Hans is right.
                                I know it is done woth another lens for sure!

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Le 19 janv. 2012 à 14:21, Hans a écrit :
                                > >
                                > > > The panoramas presented on the webpage are without doubt not made with this lens.
                                > >
                                > > Well, I had not read carefully enough the note at the bottom of each of their pages and especially the very last sentence of that note:
                                > >
                                > > (Quote)
                                > > The images used on this site to represent images taken with the Tamaggo 360-imager are for illustrative purposes only.
                                > > (Unquote)
                                > >
                                > > This makes me think that Hans is right .
                                >
                                > Thanks Michael
                                >
                                > I had not seen that either, but I have made several tests with my full circle lenses pointing 90 degree up.
                                >
                                > Hans
                                >

                                > > Michel

                              • Sacha Griffin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 20 9:04 AM

                                  You are INDEED right. There are several edits throughout.

                                  So we can expect result similar to existing one-shot lenses minus the dust-and-scratches. Even with the small text, that’s pretty slick.