Stereo panoramas, Flash, Android and Unity

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2012
      The most recent public beta version of Unity3d includes a Flash export add-on and the 3d performance of the Flash it makes seems really quite ok
      http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/
      .. the skybox in this example is just a panorama
      http://www.tipodean.com/converter/unity3d-flash-demo-rutgers.html

      So if you are into HDR panoramas, networked panos with avatars, particle effects, flares etc it should be pretty simple now to roll your own pano viewers in Flash via Unity.

      Also btw they say the latest version of the Unity viewer itself will run natively in the the latest versions of Chrome.

      Re stereo panoramas, the simplest way to show them on a 3d TV, in interactive form, not just converted to videos, is to set them up side by side, squished 50% laterally to fit into a HD frame. (Squeezed Side-by Side). All 3d TVs and many 3d viewers, 3d phones etc support squeezed SBS. It is easy to convert a stereo video or picture into squeezed form, but with interactive content it is not so easy. But Unity3d itself (even the free version I think) can do this window squishing of rendered realtime 3d content, and I think the Flash, and Android exports can do it too.
      See the posts by "Bankie" here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/112427-Recommendations-for-3D-TV-Preferably-passive?highlight=stereo
      Basically the idea is to set up two cameras and assign them to L and R of the final window. Whatever the two cameras are looking at (individual skyboxes say) will show on the subwindow squished 50% if you set the appropriate camera parameter.

      Actually for passive stereo TVs I think you get more stereo detail if you go for over/under presentations, which is also supported by most 3d TVs.

      Re stereo on Android. There are Android 3d phones now and last week the first 3d Android tablet went on sale -- the Gadmei 183 ($200)
      http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/01/10/a-brief-hands-on-with-gadmeis-3d-tablet/
      This has a button to switch between 2d and 3d. In 3d mode all side by side squeezed videos show as 3d, so I suspect SBS squeezed Android Unity or Unity to Flash content will work in stereo too. I have ordered one so I can tell in a day or so.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2012
        I have made some headway with using Unity 3d to show interactive stereo panoramas on 3d TVs (and other displays that accept side by side source material). The specialty of Unity in this regard is that it is one of the few multimedia platforms (and even the free version does this) that can do the 50% lateral squeeze that needs to be done to the side by side panorama windows. Yes this works (on my LG 3d TV, and I am sure on all standard 3d TVs) and the performance is good. 4096 by 2048 stereo pairs work well.

        You can use a Unity window in a web page and use the context menu to go full screen on the TV (connected to my PC as a monitor). Or you can make a full screen exe for a kiosk etc .

        There is a significant learning curve for Unity but there are scriptless authoring tools for it now that make it quite usable for virtual tours I think, stereo or regular. I have been using one called Playmaker. I havent tried the Flash exporting beta version yet.

        If you can do cross-eyed stereo viewing you can see a stereo pano in Unity here
        http://www.mediavr.com/mplaceunity1.htm
        I have yet to make proper navigation but you can do a basic dewarped lookaround with the slider control beneath the panorama

        Now when you make a version where that is reversed, and the images are each squeezed laterally 50%, that is the format that works on 3dTVs -- and that you can make with Unity too

        PeterM

        > The most recent public beta version of Unity3d includes a Flash export add-on and the 3d performance of the Flash it makes seems really quite ok
        > http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/
        > .. the skybox in this example is just a panorama
        > http://www.tipodean.com/converter/unity3d-flash-demo-rutgers.html
        >
        > So if you are into HDR panoramas, networked panos with avatars, particle effects, flares etc it should be pretty simple now to roll your own pano viewers in Flash via Unity.
        >
        > Also btw they say the latest version of the Unity viewer itself will run natively in the the latest versions of Chrome.
        >
        > Re stereo panoramas, the simplest way to show them on a 3d TV, in interactive form, not just converted to videos, is to set them up side by side, squished 50% laterally to fit into a HD frame. (Squeezed Side-by Side). All 3d TVs and many 3d viewers, 3d phones etc support squeezed SBS. It is easy to convert a stereo video or picture into squeezed form, but with interactive content it is not so easy. But Unity3d itself (even the free version I think) can do this window squishing of rendered realtime 3d content, and I think the Flash, and Android exports can do it too.
        > See the posts by "Bankie" here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/112427-Recommendations-for-3D-TV-Preferably-passive?highlight=stereo
        > Basically the idea is to set up two cameras and assign them to L and R of the final window. Whatever the two cameras are looking at (individual skyboxes say) will show on the subwindow squished 50% if you set the appropriate camera parameter.
        >
        > Actually for passive stereo TVs I think you get more stereo detail if you go for over/under presentations, which is also supported by most 3d TVs.
        >
        > Re stereo on Android. There are Android 3d phones now and last week the first 3d Android tablet went on sale -- the Gadmei 183 ($200)
        > http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/01/10/a-brief-hands-on-with-gadmeis-3d-tablet/
        > This has a button to switch between 2d and 3d. In 3d mode all side by side squeezed videos show as 3d, so I suspect SBS squeezed Android Unity or Unity to Flash content will work in stereo too. I have ordered one so I can tell in a day or so.
        >
        > PeterM

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2012

          Security Essentials Reports a “Severe” exploit in this viewer code.

          Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.BU

          bpac/a.class

          http://tinyurl.com/7zme8ye

          Sacha Griffin

          http://www.seeit360.com

          http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

          http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

          EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

          IM: sachagriffin007@...

          Office: 404-551-4275

> [...]

          > Basically the idea is to set up two cameras and assign them to L and R of the final window. Whatever the two cameras are looking at (individual skyboxes say) will show on the subwindow squished 50% if you set the appropriate camera parameter.
          >
          > Actually for passive stereo TVs I think you get more stereo detail if you go for over/under presentations, which is also supported by most 3d TVs.
          >
          > Re stereo on Android. There are Android 3d phones now and last week the first 3d Android tablet went on sale -- the Gadmei 183 ($200)
          > http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/01/10/a-brief-hands-on-with-gadmeis-3d-tablet/
          > This has a button to switch between 2d and 3d. In 3d mode all side by side squeezed videos show as 3d, so I suspect SBS squeezed Android Unity or Unity to Flash content will work in stereo too. I have ordered one so I can tell in a day or so.

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2012

            > Security Essentials Reports a "Severe" exploit in this viewer code.
            >

            > Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.BU
            >
            > bpac/a.class
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/7zme8ye

            Thanks, I have removed the file while I investigate - I notice they have quite a few issues with false alerts on the Unity forums
            http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/78979-Anti-virus-problems
            A good reason for them to get their Flash exporter working well.

            PeterM
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2012
              Hmmm, they have a few of false positives it looks like from various avs across several binaries throughout the year. Im not sure how statistically normal that is, but it is interesting. Anecdotally, it's my first positive on w7 in longer than i can remember. "i practice safe downloading"

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 22, 2012
                The other main way to show stereo panoramas on passive TVs is in horizontally interlace form. It is possible to make such a viewer in Flash
                http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4170&p=16131&hilit=stereoscopic#p16131
                and I suspect there must be a way in Unity. But horizontally interlaced only works with passive tvs not active ones -- for which you would have to use squeezed side by side.

                The most recent versions of nvidia drivers support horizontally interlaced displays again, btw, -- after they dropped such support in their attempts to lock people into shutter glasses, emitters and the rest of their "3dVision" hardware. But now passive tvs etc are big in the marketplace and I think so as not to lose them for 3dVision they have enabled interlaced again

                Nvidia 3dvision supporting active monitors (but not, I think, active TVs) can also show stereo panoramas with OpenGl shuttered display with apps like Bitmanagement BSContact Stereo, or Worldviz, or Virtools

                PeterM