360 spherical videos using 4 (or 5) vertical APS-C cameras

  • Giorgio Marchetto
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2012
      Hello panofriends

      I would like to create 360 spherical videos using 4 (or 5) vertical
      APS-C cameras.
      For example: Nikon D5100, Sony Nex5N. Expect 3800x1900 pixel frame size
      I have already used this technique to create Spherical (image) panoramas
      with my Nikon D300 and Sigma 8mm fisheye lens (tilted +5°)
      With 3:2 ratio (image) size horizontal width is larger than 16:9
      (video), so there could not be enough overlap to stitch the frames with
      only 4 cameras.

      I need to solve the following issues:
      RECORDING
      1) how to link recording start/stop on all cameras?
      2) how to link (=have the same) exposures?
      There could be more ways to set dinamically the exposures:
      a) an exposure 'master' camera which controls all the other 'slave'
      cameras (which uses the same exposures): Ladybug cameras should work in
      this way.
      b) an average exposure value calculation, to apply simultaneously to
      all camera. How to do this?
      c) dinamically select the shortest exposure and apply to all cameras
      (I prefer, in post production, correct under-exposed images). How to do
      this?
      POST PROCUCTION
      3) How to automate the post production workflow?
      I should prefer avoid frame by frame workflow (time consuming issue:
      In 25 fps video, there are 1500 frames/min, 90K frames/hour......)
      The frame-by-frame workflow: convert videos to frames, stitch and
      correct frame by frame panorama, convert frame by frame panoramas to
      video panorama.

      thanks in advance for sharing your expriences!

      Giorgio Marchetto
      Web & Multimedia Developer
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2012
        None of these cameras have reliable synchronisation for video. The closest to a solution is to use the simultaneous power up method for Panasonic GH2 mirrorless compacts with a fisheye lens (Panasonic, or Sigma 4.5 with adapter, or Samyang. There is a firmware hack to get excellent high data rate videos out of GH2s now
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photo-3d/message/84671

        PeterM

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Giorgio Marchetto <mail@...> wrote:

        > Hello panofriends
        >
        > I would like to create 360 spherical videos using 4 (or 5) vertical
        > APS-C cameras.
        > For example: Nikon D5100, Sony Nex5N. Expect 3800x1900 pixel frame size
        > I have already used this technique to create Spherical (image) panoramas
        > with my Nikon D300 and Sigma 8mm fisheye lens (tilted +5°)
        > With 3:2 ratio (image) size horizontal width is larger than 16:9
        > (video), so there could not be enough overlap to stitch the frames with
        > only 4 cameras.
        >
        > I need to solve the following issues:
        > RECORDING
        > 1) how to link recording start/stop on all cameras?
        > 2) how to link (=have the same) exposures?
        > There could be more ways to set dinamically the exposures:
        > a) an exposure 'master' camera which controls all the other 'slave'
        > cameras (which uses the same exposures): Ladybug cameras should work in
        > this way.
        > b) an average exposure value calculation, to apply simultaneously to
        > all camera. How to do this?
        > c) dinamically select the shortest exposure and apply to all cameras
        > (I prefer, in post production, correct under-exposed images). How to do
        > this?
        > POST PROCUCTION
        > 3) How to automate the post production workflow?
        > I should prefer avoid frame by frame workflow (time consuming issue:
        > In 25 fps video, there are 1500 frames/min, 90K frames/hour......)
        > The frame-by-frame workflow: convert videos to frames, stitch and
        > correct frame by frame panorama, convert frame by frame panoramas to
        > video panorama.
        >
        > thanks in advance for sharing your expriences!
        >
        > Giorgio Marchetto
        > Web & Multimedia Developer

      • Giorgio Marchetto
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 17, 2012
          Thanks for reply, Peter

          Any idea about linking exposures?

          Some other interesting links to create 360 videos/sequences, with other
          type of cameras

          with 4 HD Hero:
          http://punkoryan.com/2011/02/08/shooting-360-degree-video-with-four-gopro-hd-hero-cameras
          http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/story.html?id=4227720

          http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/10/19/gopro-hd-digital-cameras-for-streetviews/
          http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/07/02/4x-gopro-hd-digital-cameras-make-for-nice-panoramas/

          GoPro recently made a kit for 2 cameras for 3D video,
          the could do something similar with 4 cameras for 360 video...

          DIY-STREETVIEW
          record images every 2 seconds, not video
          http://www.diy-streetview.com/crisis-camera
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 17, 2012
            The Gopro Hero2 is a big improvement on the Hero1 but the 3d kit is not supported officially yet. There is a somewhat buggy workaround.
            See the Goprouser forum -- 3d section, Hero2 firmware thread. There is a Wifi remote from Gopro soon which will fire up to 50 Gopros but I dont know if that will support synced video. I doubt it. Main problem with Gopros for 360 videos is lack of any exposure lock or control. But with the hack the video sync at least is great and exposure match is very good so , say 250 degree wide videos, should be no problem. One camera is master and the other one is slaved sync and exposure wise to the master. You can see the sync on some sample 3d videos I have shot with a pair of Hero2s on my Youtube channel
            (the most recent videos)
            http://www.youtube.com/user/mediavr

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2012
              I thought Gopros (Hero2's) were synced in stereo mode for exposure and color but apparently not so, I read in a post in the Goprouser forums,
              http://goprouser.freeforums.org/3d-temperature-colors-t5567.html
              (you have to login maybe to see the forum). They must be synced for shutter only,not gain and color. Which is discouraging for camera array concepts with it. But there is also some talk of a more professionally oriented Gopro with more manual controls sometime this year.

              Peterm

              > The Gopro Hero2 is a big improvement on the Hero1 but the 3d kit is not supported officially yet. There is a somewhat buggy workaround.
              > See the Goprouser forum -- 3d section, Hero2 firmware thread. There is a Wifi remote from Gopro soon which will fire up to 50 Gopros but I dont know if that will support synced video. I doubt it. Main problem with Gopros for 360 videos is lack of any exposure lock or control. But with the hack the video sync at least is great and exposure match is very good so , say 250 degree wide videos, should be no problem. One camera is master and the other one is slaved sync and exposure wise to the master. You can see the sync on some sample 3d videos I have shot with a pair of Hero2s on my Youtube channel
              > (the most recent videos)
              > http://www.youtube.com/user/mediavr
              >
              > PeterM
              >

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Giorgio Marchetto <mail@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for reply, Peter
              > >
              > > Any idea about linking exposures?
              > >
              > > Some other interesting links to create 360 videos/sequences, with other
              > > type of cameras
              > >
              > > with 4 HD Hero:
              > > http://punkoryan.com/2011/02/08/shooting-360-degree-video-with-four-gopro-hd-hero-cameras
              > > http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/story.html?id=4227720
              > >
              > > http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/10/19/gopro-hd-digital-cameras-for-streetviews/
              > > http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/07/02/4x-gopro-hd-digital-cameras-make-for-nice-panoramas/
              > >
              > > GoPro recently made a kit for 2 cameras for 3D video,
              > > the could do something similar with 4 cameras for 360 video...
              > >
              > > DIY-STREETVIEW
              > > record images every 2 seconds, not video
              > > http://www.diy-streetview.com/crisis-camera

            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2012

                I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy.  I’m having a problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift – white snow is cyan tinted  in the center of the pics/video and magenta on the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless, especially for stitching.  You can see an example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 28, 2012
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

                  > I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image
                  > with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the
                  > Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy. I'm having a
                  > problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift -
                  > white snow is cyan tinted in the center of the pics/video and magenta on
                  > the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless,
                  > especially for stitching. You can see an example here:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns

                  One thought that occurred to me about your Gopro is that it might be a flaw in the IR filter (in front of the sensor.

                  Re syncing action cams for video arrays I notice that 3dvision blog has posts about syncing Vio or Mio3d action cams. Using a simultaneous remote control video start method.
                  http://3dvision-blog.com/using-vio-pov-hd-action-cameras-for-recording-3d-video/
                  http://3dvision-blog.com/drift-hd-action-camera-and-mio-3d-for-stereo-3d-video-recording/
                  The trouble with this sync method is that even if they start in sync they can drift apart. But it makes me think that the Wifi Remote for Gopros when it comes might actually work for syncing videos for multiple Gopros. At least for short videos. Gopros have a better form factor for panoramic arrays than the others.

                  Peterm
                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Gopro have just released a firmware update that enables more stereo sync capabilities namely timelapse sync for stills, for the Gopro Hero2 -- but not regular stills or bursts. I dont know if this is it, or whether they will upgrade those features with later firmware. Exposure/color is not an exact match (like video). Still, only two more requirements and you could have a great miniature 360 pano capture rig with, say, 4 Gopros at 1 pano very 2 seconds -- requirements being: able to lock exposure to the master camera, and being able to sync more than 2 cameras. One very significant plus for time lapse stills versus video for the Gopros is lack of rolling shutter in the former

                    PeterM

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image
                    > > with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the
                    > > Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy. I'm having a
                    > > problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift -
                    > > white snow is cyan tinted in the center of the pics/video and magenta on
                    > > the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless,
                    > > especially for stitching. You can see an example here:
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns
                    >
                    > One thought that occurred to me about your Gopro is that it might be a flaw in the IR filter (in front of the sensor.
                    >
                    > Re syncing action cams for video arrays I notice that 3dvision blog has posts about syncing Vio or Mio3d action cams. Using a simultaneous remote control video start method.
                    > http://3dvision-blog.com/using-vio-pov-hd-action-cameras-for-recording-3d-video/
                    > http://3dvision-blog.com/drift-hd-action-camera-and-mio-3d-for-stereo-3d-video-recording/
                    > The trouble with this sync method is that even if they start in sync they can drift apart. But it makes me think that the Wifi Remote for Gopros when it comes might actually work for syncing videos for multiple Gopros. At least for short videos. Gopros have a better form factor for panoramic arrays than the others.
                    >
                    > Peterm

                  • nburtey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                      With a hack of the firmware, do you think it's possible to set fixe the exposure, gain and color balance on a GoPro HD 2?

                      Regards,
                      Nicolas Burtey

                      > Gopro have just released a firmware update that enables more stereo sync capabilities namely timelapse sync for stills, for the Gopro Hero2 -- but not regular stills or bursts. I dont know if this is it, or whether they will upgrade those features with later firmware. Exposure/color is not an exact match (like video). Still, only two more requirements and you could have a great miniature 360 pano capture rig with, say, 4 Gopros at 1 pano very 2 seconds -- requirements being: able to lock exposure to the master camera, and being able to sync more than 2 cameras. One very significant plus for time lapse stills versus video for the Gopros is lack of rolling shutter in the former
                      >
                      > PeterM
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have a Hero2 and have two friends with the Hero. Shooting the same image
                      > > > with three cameras yields three different exposures. Three photos with the
                      > > > Hero2 will not have the same exposure or color accuracy. I'm having a
                      > > > problem now (been waiting a week for a reply from Gopro) with color shift -
                      > > > white snow is cyan tinted in the center of the pics/video and magenta on
                      > > > the outsides! So much so that the photos and videos are pretty much useless,
                      > > > especially for stitching. You can see an example here:
                      > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIerO2-Wmns
                      > >
                      > > One thought that occurred to me about your Gopro is that it might be a flaw in the IR filter (in front of the sensor.
                      > >
                      > > Re syncing action cams for video arrays I notice that 3dvision blog has posts about syncing Vio or Mio3d action cams. Using a simultaneous remote control video start method.
                      > > http://3dvision-blog.com/using-vio-pov-hd-action-cameras-for-recording-3d-video/
                      > > http://3dvision-blog.com/drift-hd-action-camera-and-mio-3d-for-stereo-3d-video-recording/
                      > > The trouble with this sync method is that even if they start in sync they can drift apart. But it makes me think that the Wifi Remote for Gopros when it comes might actually work for syncing videos for multiple Gopros. At least for short videos. Gopros have a better form factor for panoramic arrays than the others.
                      > >
                      > > Peterm

                    • luca vascon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2012
                        Giorgio, here I am.
                        NO WAY to get proper complete synchro. Only solution to that would be a real genlock (wikipedia will help you, this is a pro-video term)
                        Only thru hardware hack you can get something close to a contemporary shutter press..
                        I'm afraid that the closest you can get the cameras you will have a lot of parallax errors.
                        You will need, in the end, 5 cameras at least.
                        Buy a ladybug and stay happy.

                        Gopro is a nice thing, and when I'll have my hack done it will allow a lot of things, frame by frame stitching.

                        I don't know your project but KEEP in mind the audio part is always ESSENTIAL!
                        ;-)

                        2012/1/16 Giorgio Marchetto <mail@...>
[...]

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        Luca Vascon.

                        www.nuovostudio.it
                        www.officinepanottiche.com

                      • Fernando Costa Pinto
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20 4:57 PM
                          Hi there ,

                          I am looking for  a solution in video 360, using 5 Gopro.

                          Isn't this solution  http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=221   a way to get complete synchro with the five go pro ?

                          rgds
                          Fernando
                          Salvador
                          Bahia

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 20 5:01 PM
                            Hi there ,

                            I am looking for  a solution in video 360, using 5 Gopro.

                            Isn't this solution, the Panodistro,  http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=221   a way to get complete synchro with the five go pro ?

                            rgds
                            Fernando
                            Salvador

[...]