A new Danish Royal Shoot

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
      I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.

      http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm

      This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
      Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
      There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
      The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.

      BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
      And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.

      Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
      3 rows of 12 + zenith.
      1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0

      Hans
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
        On 1/14/2012 3:50 PM, Hans wrote:
        I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.

        http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm

        This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
        Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
        There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
        The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.

        BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
        And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.

        Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
        3 rows of 12 + zenith.
        1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0

        Nice work, Hans.  What was the capture time?  Because you were shooing longish lens and somewhat wide open did you use autofocus?

        It's too bad you weren't standing beside the camera instead of behind it so your face would've been shown and you'd get more credit for your work.

        Hans

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
          Hans, you have nerves of steel. I don't think I could even mount my camera on a tripod with all those people staring at me. And in front of the King of Sweden and Norway --- egad!

          Hans wrote:
          > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
          >
          > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
          >
          > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
          > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
          > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
          > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
          >
          > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
          > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.
          >
          > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
          > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
          > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
          >
          > Hans

        • Hans
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

            > On 1/14/2012 3:50 PM, Hans wrote:
            > > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen
            > > Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
            > >
            > > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
            > >
            > > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
            > > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
            > > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
            > > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
            > >
            > > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
            > > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at
            > > the top.
            > >
            > > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
            > > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
            > > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
            >
            > Nice work, Hans. What was the capture time? Because you were shooing
            > longish lens and somewhat wide open did you use autofocus?
            >
            > It's too bad you weren't standing beside the camera instead of behind it
            > so your face would've been shown and you'd get more credit for your work.

            I got 3 minutes to take it and thats what I used.
            Capture timestamps
            22.16.47
            22.19.52

            Shot it bracketed and 2-3 shots per angle so in all 195 Raw files.
            Could have saved the 3 bracketing. Have only used the main exposure.

            However I had almost 20 minutes with the camera set up on stage as everything was delayed.
            It was planned that I should be on stage from 21.53 to 22.00

            Hans

            > > Hans
            >

            > Pat Swovelin
            > Cool Guy @ Large

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
              CLAP CLAP CLAP

              Hans, I've said that tons of times before, but it goes again

              You're The Man !!!

              Congratzssss

              your brazilian friend and admirer

              AYRTON

              On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

              > On 1/14/2012 3:50 PM, Hans wrote:
              > > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen
              > > Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
              > >
              > > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
              > >
              > > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
              > > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
              > > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
              > > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
              > >
              > > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
              > > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at
              > > the top.
              > >
              > > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
              > > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
              > > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
              >
              > Nice work, Hans.  What was the capture time?  Because you were shooing
              > longish lens and somewhat wide open did you use autofocus?
              >
              > It's too bad you weren't standing beside the camera instead of behind it
              > so your face would've been shown and you'd get more credit for your work.

              I got 3 minutes to take it and thats what I used.
              Capture timestamps
              22.16.47
              22.19.52

              Shot it bracketed and 2-3 shots per angle so in all 195 Raw files.
              Could have saved the 3 bracketing. Have only used the main exposure.

              However I had almost 20 minutes with the camera set up on stage as everything was delayed.
              It was planned that I should be on stage from 21.53 to 22.00

              Hans

              > > Hans
              >

              > Pat Swovelin
              > Cool Guy @ Large

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

            • Pat Swovelin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012

                On 1/14/2012 3:50 PM, Hans wrote:
[...]

                I think the most impressive thing about it is that virtually everyone in the room is looking into the lens.  Did you have to swap many faces to get good looks on everyone?

                What kind of background check did you have to go through to be allowed unfettered access to the Queen and 2 Kings?

                Pat Swovelin
                Cool Guy @ Large
              • jann_lipka
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
                  Very nice work Hans -
                  Great noise reduction of 1600 ISO files and also
                  both highliths and shadows are fine with vibrating " royal" colors.

                  Also the height of the camre was just right - some centimeters lower and royals would be gone :-)
                  Thanks for sharing .

                  It must be tricky in situations like that to guess if bracketing is needed. with 1/20 s I would probably even go with mirror lockup and the time would increase .

                  Hans you should check new processing of Lightroom 4
                  ( there is a public beta free for anyone to download ) - I think it has even more nice Shadow Highlight recovery and better noice reduction.
                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jann_lipka" <jann@...> wrote:

                    > Very nice work Hans -
                    > Great noise reduction of 1600 ISO files and also
                    > both highliths and shadows are fine with vibrating " royal" colors.
                    >
                    > Also the height of the camre was just right - some centimeters lower and royals would be gone :-)
                    > Thanks for sharing .
                    >
                    > It must be tricky in situations like that to guess if bracketing is needed. with 1/20 s I would probably even go with mirror lockup and the time would increase .
                    >
                    > Hans you should check new processing of Lightroom 4
                    > ( there is a public beta free for anyone to download ) - I think it has even more nice Shadow Highlight recovery and better noice reduction.

                    Isin't camera raw the same in lightroom as in Photoshop ?

                    Hans

                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                      They already have all my background since my first Royal shot in 2004.
                      And as I was part of th DR team and i got in backstage it was just a very short security check

                      Hans

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...> wrote:

                      > On 1/14/2012 4:26 PM, Hans wrote:
                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@> wrote:

                      > >> Nice work, Hans. What was the capture time? Because you were shooing
                      > >> longish lens and somewhat wide open did you use autofocus?
                      > >>
                      > >> It's too bad you weren't standing beside the camera instead of behind it
                      > >> so your face would've been shown and you'd get more credit for your work.
                      > >
                      > > I got 3 minutes to take it and thats what I used.
                      > > Capture timestamps
                      > > 22.16.47
                      > > 22.19.52
                      > >
                      > > Shot it bracketed and 2-3 shots per angle so in all 195 Raw files.
                      > > Could have saved the 3 bracketing. Have only used the main exposure.
                      > >
                      > > However I had almost 20 minutes with the camera set up on stage as
                      > > everything was delayed.
                      > > It was planned that I should be on stage from 21.53 to 22.00
                      >
                      > I think the most impressive thing about it is that virtually everyone in
                      > the room is looking into the lens. Did you have to swap many faces to
                      > get good looks on everyone?
                      >
                      > What kind of background check did you have to go through to be allowed
                      > unfettered access to the Queen and 2 Kings?
                      >
                      > > Hans

                      > Pat Swovelin
                      > Cool Guy @ Large

                    • Bostjan Burger
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                        Congratulation!

                        Boštjan

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                          Congratulations Hans,
                          to make under these conditions even such good panorama with 3 rows workflow is really cool !

                          all the best
                          Bernd

                          http://www.360Bilder.de

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                            Yes for LR3 and CS5 - it is the same .

                            But LR4 have the new processing -

                            See this link - good write up by Ian Lyons -
                            He knows his stuff...

                            http://computer-darkroom.com/lr4_beta_preview/lr4-preview-1.htm

                            I think you will like it.
                          • Bostjan Burger
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                              I have checked the pano again and again ... most of us maybe don't realise how important that pano for the history of panography in the way of its promotion is. I was looking for a Queen Silvia and didn't find her ... but after more precise look found her on the balcony...

                              Boštjan

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                                Excellent work, Hans.
                                I'm glad you took the plunge to capture it in such high resolution.
                                A must for such an event, and it seems besides some misaligned faces it turned out extremely well, especially regarding tonality etc. as Jann has pointed out.
                                I'm curious why a large portion of the bottom part is left out, I assume DR wanted to exclude those parts with little to no information?

                                The closeup of yourself on the TV screen is priceless :))

                                Congratulations!
                                And thanks for sharing

                                Jürgen

                                > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
                                >
                                > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
                                >
                                > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
                                > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
                                > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
                                > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
                                >
                                > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
                                > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.
                                >
                                > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
                                > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
                                > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
                                >
                                > Hans

                              • Hans
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012

                                  > Excellent work, Hans.
                                  > I'm glad you took the plunge to capture it in such high resolution.
                                  > A must for such an event, and it seems besides some misaligned faces it turned out extremely well, especially regarding tonality etc. as Jann has pointed out.
                                  > I'm curious why a large portion of the bottom part is left out, I assume DR wanted to exclude those parts with little to no information?
                                  >
                                  > The closeup of yourself on the TV screen is priceless :))

                                  Thanks Jürgen.

                                  Working on the last 3-4 errors now.
                                  PTgui is great but using the masks on multirow can sometimes result in introducing another split face at a different place you did not expect.
                                  Changing the blending line i very sensitive.

                                  I do all the work in their NEWSroom so I have direct contact to the journalist.

                                  Limiting the view is my choice. There was no idea including the dirigent pult I am standing on. After testing several other places I choosed it as I also got a little extra height.

                                  I did not take any images for it. I would have needed 12 more to include it.

                                  Hans

                                  > Congratulations!
                                  > And thanks for sharing
                                  >
                                  > Jürgen

                                  > > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
                                  > >
                                  > > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
                                  > > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
                                  > > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
                                  > > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
                                  > >
                                  > > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
                                  > > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.
                                  > >
                                  > > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
                                  > > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
                                  > > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
                                  > >
                                  > > Hans

                                • guillaume_fulchiron
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                                    Hats off.
                                    You are the king !

                                    G.

                                    > I have just finished a panorama from the celebration of Queen Margrethe 40 year anniversary.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/2012/Dronning/2012/01/14/231247.htm
                                    >
                                    > This was taken 2 hours ago at the Danish Television Concert house.
                                    > Note that this is a 1 hour stitch 33000x16500
                                    > There are a couple of weird faces we discovered which I am working on.
                                    > The Royals including the King of Sweden and Norway are also in it.
                                    >
                                    > BTW I was actually also interviewed before taking the pano.
                                    > And I just discovered that there is a zoom in on me on the screen at the top.
                                    >
                                    > Tech. 5D MarkII and 24-105mm at 32mm.
                                    > 3 rows of 12 + zenith.
                                    > 1600 ISO and 1/20 5.0
                                    >
                                    > Hans

                                  • Pat Swovelin
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                                      On 1/15/2012 5:16 AM, Hans wrote:

                                      Excellent work, Hans.
                                      I'm glad you took the plunge to capture it in such high resolution.
                                      A must for such an event, and it seems besides some misaligned faces it turned out extremely well, especially regarding tonality etc. as Jann has pointed out.
                                      I'm curious why a large portion of the bottom part is left out, I assume DR wanted to exclude those parts with little to no information?

                                      The closeup of yourself on the TV screen is priceless :))

                                      Thanks Jürgen.

                                      Working on the last 3-4 errors now.
                                      PTgui is great but using the masks on multirow can sometimes result in introducing another split face at a different place you did not expect.
                                      Changing the blending line i very sensitive.

                                      That's why I find it *much* better to do seam clean up work in the layer masks in Photoshop where you have ultimate control of what to include/exclude.  PTGui's masks are *brilliant* but as you noted then can cause stitch problems in and of themselves.

                                      I do all the work in their NEWSroom so I have direct contact to the journalist.

                                      Limiting the view is my choice. There was no idea including the dirigent pult I am standing on. After testing several other places I choosed it as I also got a little extra height.

                                      I did not take any images for it. I would have needed 12 more to include it.

                                      You should've shot it.  IMHO

                                      Hans

                                      Congratulations!
                                      And thanks for sharing

                                      Jürgen

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                                        In these situations timing is everything and I second safe results over unneeded parts. But I can cover a sphere with a 35mm Distagon on 5DMk2 with 3 rows +z+n but probably Hans decided for more overlap and/or multiple shots for touch ups. This is no job where one would ask for a second chance if the first one fails ;)