Re: [PanoToolsNG] Shaving Nikon 10.5 Lens

  • Christian Bloch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2012
      On a DX sensor you will actually make the lens worse by shaving, because you're more likely to get flares and veiling glare from the side. I have the same combo, and accidentally broke off a bit of the hood (happened to be a collision with the forehead of a friend, but he's fine now). Anyway, I now have to watch out where I'm pointing that gap in the lens hood….

      Blochi

      On Jan 13, 2012, at 5:59 AM, Luc Villeneuve wrote:

      Hi,

      There is no reason to shave your 10,5mm because the D300S has a DX sensor.

      People shave their 10,5mm because they use it on an FX sensor and they what to cover 360° with 4 shots.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <kylegoodnight@...> wrote:

      > I have a Nikon D300S with the Nikon 105mm fisheye and am using it to do virtual tours for real estate. I don't see the lens hood in the viewfinder so am wondering if shaving will increase the view able area.
      >
      > Is shaving the lens worth the effort/expense? Effort being, doing it myself (which makes me worry about ruining the lens) and expense, If I have it done, where is a reliable place to have it done and what is the cost? I would prefer not to send the lens out of the US to have it done but also would want it done correctly. Any help/suggestions appreciated..
      > Kg

    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2012
        On 1/13/2012 5:49 AM, Kyle wrote:
        I have a Nikon D300S with the Nikon 105mm fisheye and am using it to do virtual tours for real estate. I don't see the lens hood in the viewfinder so am wondering if shaving will increase the view able area.

        Is shaving the lens worth the effort/expense? Effort being, doing it myself (which makes me worry about ruining the lens) and expense, If I have it done, where is a reliable place to have it done and what is the cost? I would prefer not to send the lens out of the US to have it done but also would want it done correctly. Any help/suggestions appreciated..

        Tobias Vollmer, Germany.  Examples, prices, the whole 9 yards.  http://www.360pano.de/en/tokina-sigma-nikon.html

        Kg

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large