Re: Big mosaics with Hugn

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2012
      Hi Jürgen

      Well I too thought PTGui should work, but in fact no matter how I try to align a big mosaic it gives a slightly bulging image, like a full frame fisheye. Whereas with Hugin I can get a perfectly square one. It is as if some part of PTGui is still assuming a single viewpoint. Also, PTGui still needs to be told an artificially large focal length, while Hugin works correctly with the true one.

      As for showing more of the surroundings, that is something I am trying to learn to do. But (as in painting) it is a matter of finding opportunities and carefully choosing deceptions, since there is no simple way to combine multiple viewpoints seamlessly. In the Community picture, the vertical corner of the building is a perfect "hinge line" for attaching a rectilinear photo of the front, and the guy on the bicycle helps connect that space to the space in front of the painting. I could (and probably will) rework "Mario Lanza" so the stuff visible above and behind the mural looks more natural. But my basic attitude here is that I'm just documenting the paintings.

      Regards, Tom