Re: any experiences with nikon 10.5 on canon aps-c size cams?

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@...> wrote:

      > yup, 10.5 on 550D, 6+1 shots. of course it's better than 4-shot panos with a sigma 8.
      >
      > remember to cut a little piece of plastic to wedge into the aperture lever at somewhere around f/8 :-/

      Or much easier buy an adapter with Aperture adjustment for Nikon G lenses.
      http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=571

      > > hi everbody!
      > >
      > > i like to ask you for any experiences using a Nikon AF 10,5mm f/2,8 G ED
      > > DX Fisheye with an adapter (e.g. novoflex) on a canon aps-c-size camera
      > > like 7D or 60D.
      > >
      > > i'm currently using the sigma 8mm f/3.5 and heard from some sides about
      > > a superior image quality of the nikon 10.5 compared to the sigma.
      > >
      > > it would be great if someone could provide image samples or have even
      > > made some direct comparisons!
      > >
      > > thanks in advance!
      > >
      > > best
      > > thomas

    • prague
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        on the contrary, with that, you can't be sure you're on f/8 unless you close down, check the shutter speed, and then calculate how many stops the shutter speed changes as you open it back up.

        better to just keep it on f/8 in my opinion.

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@> wrote:
        > >
        > > yup, 10.5 on 550D, 6+1 shots. of course it's better than 4-shot panos with a sigma 8.
        > >
        > > remember to cut a little piece of plastic to wedge into the aperture lever at somewhere around f/8 :-/
        >

        > Or much easier buy an adapter with Aperture adjustment for Nikon G lenses.
        > http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=571
        >
        > Hans

        > > > hi everbody!
        > > >
        > > > i like to ask you for any experiences using a Nikon AF 10,5mm f/2,8 G ED
        > > > DX Fisheye with an adapter (e.g. novoflex) on a canon aps-c-size camera
        > > > like 7D or 60D.
        > > >
        > > > i'm currently using the sigma 8mm f/3.5 and heard from some sides about
        > > > a superior image quality of the nikon 10.5 compared to the sigma.
        > > >
        > > > it would be great if someone could provide image samples or have even
        > > > made some direct comparisons!
        > > >
        > > > thanks in advance!
        > > >
        > > > best
        > > > thomas

      • Matthew Rogers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
          I don't get it, just buy a Sigma 10mm or Tokina 10-17mm. Unless you already had the 10.5 before buying the Canon there really is no need to use the 10.5 on the Canon. The differences in quality are so small it's not worth the extra hassle.

          Matt

          On 10 Jan 2012, at 13:33, prague wrote:

          on the contrary, with that, you can't be sure you're on f/8 unless you close down, check the shutter speed, and then calculate how many stops the shutter speed changes as you open it back up.

          better to just keep it on f/8 in my opinion.

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <panoramas@> wrote:
          > >
          > > yup, 10.5 on 550D, 6+1 shots. of course it's better than 4-shot panos with a sigma 8.
          > >
          > > remember to cut a little piece of plastic to wedge into the aperture lever at somewhere around f/8 :-/
          >

          > Or much easier buy an adapter with Aperture adjustment for Nikon G lenses.
          > http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=571
          >
          > Hans

          > > > hi everbody!
          > > >
          > > > i like to ask you for any experiences using a Nikon AF 10,5mm f/2,8 G ED
          > > > DX Fisheye with an adapter (e.g. novoflex) on a canon aps-c-size camera
          > > > like 7D or 60D.
          > > >
          > > > i'm currently using the sigma 8mm f/3.5 and heard from some sides about
          > > > a superior image quality of the nikon 10.5 compared to the sigma.
          > > >
          > > > it would be great if someone could provide image samples or have even
          > > > made some direct comparisons!
          > > >
          > > > thanks in advance!
          > > >
          > > > best
          > > > thomas

        • prague
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
            That's definitely true, Matt. I have my nikkor 10.5 from 2005 when I got my Canon 5D and wanted 3-shot spherical panos.

            Nowadays you can get a Samyang, it is nearly the same quality, a far cheaper price, and with an aperture ring. And it allows 3-shot panos on a fullframe.