Question about Nikon 10.5mm aperture control

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
      If I use it on a NEX with an adapter, do I need an adapter with an aperture control lever? Or is there a way to manually set the aperture?
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
        I have used QTip shafts cut to a certain length, discovered via trial and error, then jammed in place. This works well for me. My cameras aperture are set then almost never moved. I also have an NEX adapter with aperture adjustment that works very well but you have no idea what the actual aperture is. Again trial and error is in order.

        On Jan 7, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

        If I use it on a NEX with an adapter, do I need an adapter with an aperture control lever? Or is there a way to manually set the aperture?

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography
        Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
          What adapter do you like? There's a bunch on eBay. Some are very expensive -- some are very cheap. Hard to pick the right one.

          Robert C. Fisher wrote:
          > I have used QTip shafts cut to a certain length, discovered via trial
          > and error, then jammed in place. This works well for me. My cameras
          > aperture are set then almost never moved. I also have an NEX adapter
          > with aperture adjustment that works very well but you have no idea what
          > the actual aperture is. Again trial and error is in order.
          >
          > On Jan 7, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
          >
          >> If I use it on a NEX with an adapter, do I need an adapter with an
          >> aperture control lever? Or is there a way to manually set the aperture?
          >>

          > Cheers
          > Robert C. Fisher
          > VR Photography / Cinematography
          > bob@...
          > http://www.rcfisher.com
          > Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        • Robert C. Fisher

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
              Am 07.01.2012 19:09, schrieb Robert C. Fisher:
              > I also have an NEX adapter with aperture adjustment that works very well
              > but you have no idea what the actual aperture is.

              It should be easy to estimate the aperture if you have a scene with
              constant brightness: Look what exposure time you get with aperture full
              open (f/2.8). Now close the aperture. Each time the exposure time
              doubles the aperture closes one step: 2.8 - 4 - 5.6 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 22

            • Andrew Nemeth
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
                On 08/01/2012, at 10:30 PM, Robert C. Fisher wrote:

                > I have been buying the Fotodiox Pro adapters pricy but well made. Plus
                > most Fotodiox products are sent from the US so shipping is quick. From
                > Hong Kong it takes 2-4 weeks.

                Yeah, well, speak for yourself.

                I ordered and paid for a Fotodiox Pro adapter ring (Leica M -> NEX) on December 11th.

                It has not yet arrived.

                Lesson learned - I will never use Australia Post parcel delivery, at any price, ever again.

                AZN
                nemeng.com