Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panorama viewers for Android (tablets/phone)

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
      I have finished a huge project for the European capital of Culture with hundreds of panoramas (~ 500). The main idea was only for the PCs (Win, OS) but in the begining of December I decided to build a new interface based on Pano2VR and had tested on number of mobile phones and tablets and iOS devices. Pano2VR works fluent on all tested devices, gyro only under html5 on iOS. Here is an example: http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2011_DecembrskiMaribor/07_DecembrskiMaribor.html . As the number of panoramas is qutie huge and different cube tiles I had reduced the jpg quality to 70% ...

      I would be happy for the feed back in case of not smooth display  (please provide me device and android version) ... I have still some time for fine tuning.

      Boštjan

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

        > On 4.1.2012. 17:05, Hans wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > > I checked your website and you already use the best solution.
        > > No need for App.
        > > KRPano is perfect for this. You can show any panos up to at least 5
        > > gigapixel panos even on Androids with 800mHZ processor.
        > >
        > > Hans
        > Well, Krpano is awesome, but in no way silky smooth as a native viewer
        > could be. Also no gyro control or pinch zoom in the near future, and no
        > future at all after ICS.
        >
        > Even on my 1.4GHz dual-core Transformer, it's still a jumpy experience
        > sometimes, and can't compare to the silky smooth Panodroid.

        I downloaded the Panodroid to test it on my Desire Z and and I can not see that it is much smoother than a KRpano in same size.
        The conversion it does seems to be around 800x800 cubefaces.
        Remember that this of course will make the pano much smoother than a large multilevel pano.

        What you call smoothness is a very high friction setting and of course you can do that in KRPano also if you like it.
        I made a test tour with 2 panos you can try here. I do not se any difference in smoothness from the same pano in Panodroid.
        http://qtvr.dk/android800/

        The important for the smooth panning is this control setting.
        touchfriction="0.98"

        I do not like it when it pans by it self when you pan like the Panodroid does but this is all very easy to adjust with the settings in Krpano
        It is very sensitive so just reducing it to 0.9 makes a difference.

        Hans

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012

          > I have finished a huge project for the European capital of Culture with hundreds of panoramas (~ 500). The main idea was only for the PCs (Win, OS) but in the begining of December I decided to build a new interface based on Pano2VR and had tested on number of mobile phones and tablets and iOS devices. Pano2VR works fluent on all tested devices, gyro only under html5 on iOS. Here is an example: http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2011_DecembrskiMaribor/07_DecembrskiMaribor.html%c3%82%c2%a0. As the number of panoramas is qutie huge and different cube tiles I had reduced the jpg quality to 70% ...

          I tested it on my Android Desire Z which works fine with all my KRpano even multilevel panos with 8000x8000 cubefaces.

          Unfortunately your Pano2VR crashes after some time. I did not even manage to pan one full 360 around.
          The panning is very slow and irritating.

          What size cubefaces is this.

          Hans

          > I would be happy for the feed back in case of not smooth display  (please provide me device and android version) ... I have still some time for fine tuning.
          >
          > Boštjan
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Randy Kosek
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
            Boztjan,

            It works very nicely on an iPhone 3. The buttons work, but are labelled with a question mark. The zoom feature was great. That is the first time that I have seen a functioning zoom on a mobile pano viewer.

            Regards,

            Randy Kosek

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
              The smalles tile size was 416 px, the largest 3800 px. All are multires.

              I will check what is with HTC Desire Z...:)

              Boštjan

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                Thanks for the info. I didn't test with iPhone 3, only with 3s and up... I had problems with buttons becasue were with svg but after replacing with png it was ok. I am surprised that png doesn't appear on iPhone 3 model.

                Boštjan

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012

                  > Thanks for the info. I didn't test with iPhone 3, only with 3s and up... I had problems >with buttons becasue were with svg but after replacing with png it was ok. I am >surprised that png doesn't appear on iPhone 3 model.

                  They do not load on my iPad either.

                  The panning is not as smooth on the iPad as i am used to with Krpano.

                  Hans

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                    I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.
                    I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                    Boštjan

                    > Thanks for the info. I didn't test with iPhone 3, only with 3s and up... I had problems >with buttons becasue were with svg but after replacing with png it was ok. I am >surprised that png doesn't appear on iPhone 3 model.

                    They do not load on my iPad either.

                    The panning is not as smooth on the iPad as i am used to with Krpano.

                    Hans

                    > Boštjan
                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012

                      > I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.
                      > I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                      I was referring to the navigation buttons. They do not load. Are you sure you have uploaded the pngs.

                      Hans

                      > Boštjan
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Bostjan Burger
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                        I have checked - and funny... how the heck the (beta) mobile version from ten days ago had appeared... no buttons at all and not supported multi res... funny... I am going to delete the directory on server and upload it again...

                        Bostjan

                        > I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.

                        > I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                        I was referring to the navigation buttons. They do not load. Are you sure you have uploaded the pngs.

                        Hans

                        > Boštjan

                        > ________________________________

                      • Bostjan Burger
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                          It is fixed now ( http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2011_DecembrskiMaribor/07_DecembrskiMaribor.html  ), thanks for the notice. Still misterious how old data replaced new one without touching the server.

                          :) Bostjan

                          I have checked - and funny... how the heck the (beta) mobile version from ten days ago had appeared... no buttons at all and not supported multi res... funny... I am going to delete the directory on server and upload it again...

                          Bostjan

                          > I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.

                          > I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                          I was referring to the navigation buttons. They do not load. Are you sure you have uploaded the pngs.

                          Hans

                          > Boštjan

                          > ________________________________

                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                            Thats interesting, on the ipad there are more tile subdivisions. I wonder if theres any benefit. Otherwise, the arrows and zoom are not needed on touch devices and are distracting.

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Jan 4, 2012, at 6:44 PM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

                            It is fixed now ( http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2011_DecembrskiMaribor/07_DecembrskiMaribor.html  ), thanks for the notice. Still misterious how old data replaced new one without touching the server.

                            :) Bostjan

                            I have checked - and funny... how the heck the (beta) mobile version from ten days ago had appeared... no buttons at all and not supported multi res... funny... I am going to delete the directory on server and upload it again...

                            Bostjan

                            > I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.
                            > I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                            I was referring to the navigation buttons. They do not load. Are you sure you have uploaded the pngs.

                            Hans

                            > Boštjan
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Bostjan Burger
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2012
                              Arrows are needed. I have added arrows by the intuition when I saw my the youngest daughter having troubles using panorama on my iPhone 4s. After adding the arrows she use the device as Gameboy. But navigation buttons can be easily switch off in a case of use on tablets.

                              Bostjan

                              I have checked - and funny... how the heck the (beta) mobile version from ten days ago had appeared... no buttons at all and not supported multi res... funny... I am going to delete the directory on server and upload it again...

                              Bostjan

                              > I have tested with iPad + IPad2 + iPhone 3s, 4, 4s ... all fluent movement.
                              > I don't understand how you know it is not smooth as it didn't load? Did you mean on the IPad2?

                              I was referring to the navigation buttons. They do not load. Are you sure you have uploaded the pngs.

                              Hans

                              > Boštjan

                            • Peter Nyfeler
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2012
                                Hi Bostjan

                                I have had the same issue with the navigation grafics. I was testing panoramas several times
                                and updated only the changed files and not the whole image folder. I could thensee the grafics
                                normally on my computer but when someone else looked at the panoramas the grafics didn't load.
                                After changing all files all went well.

                                HTH

                                Peter