PTGui as a fisheye video dewarping/alignment tool

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2011
      Lately I have been shooting stereo videos with twin Gopro Hero2 cameras -- which have a fisheye lens with about 140 degrees HFOV at the widest video settings. PTGui or other stitching software is good for leveling, aligning and dewarping these videos once you have converted them to image sequences. Cylindrical or rectilinear usually looks better than the default fisheye view.

      My workflow is to load the first frame of the L sequence, level that by eye in the Editor, load the first frame of the R sequence, mask so only distant areas are visible in both shots, find points, set the calibration for individual h and v (shift), and solve for the r, p, y for the r shot, and h and v for l and r.

      Now to process all the L shots say the obvious thing to do would be to delete the R shot, add the rest of the L shots, set all the parameters to be the same as the first shot and process them setting output to individual images.

      But with more than say 800 HD frames on my hardware PTGui crashes after a while. Thinks. So what I do now is this. Save the L settings say as a template. Use the Batch Builder to make projects for each of the individual frames, ie. thousands of individual projects. Use the L template as input of course. Feed the projects to the Batch Stitcher. This way it never crashes. Only it is slower than the usual way but not too bad -- say 5000 frames in 50 minutes. If one could run multiple instances of the Batch Stitcher that would be cool but I dont think one can.

      Here is a fisheye to cylindrical stereo movie done this way with my Gopros (hacked slightly to have more than the usual interaxial separation -- 8cm here)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHVe0j_GjU
      This is cylindrical perspective cropped to about 110 degrees

      PeterM
    • Aldo Hoeben
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2012
        Hi Peter,

        I've been working on and off on a workflow and tools to apply a constant
        dewarping directly to video, either as a standalone video processor or
        as a After Effects plugin. Contact me off-list if you're interested in a
        preview.

        'do
      • Kyle Goodnight
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2012
          I would be interested.....details???

          From my IPhone
          <Kyle>

          On Jan 1, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...> wrote:

          Hi Peter,

          I've been working on and off on a workflow and tools to apply a constant
          dewarping directly to video, either as a standalone video processor or
          as a After Effects plugin. Contact me off-list if you're interested in a
          preview.

          'do

        • Robert Lesac
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
            Hi,
            I searching for a good solution for displaying and presenting panos on
            an Android tablet/phone.
            So far I haven't found a decent solution.

            I'll list a few I've tried:

            Panodroid:
            * good performance displaying the panos
            * have to go through a lenghty conversion proces EVERY time
            * also there is no zoom of any kind so you're stuck with the default fov
            * no gyro support

            Panosphere:
            * gyro support *yay*
            * extreme low res 1024x512