Re: [PanoToolsNG] Protect your camera from thieves for a one-time fee of $10.

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2011
      Not  that no one can... it is of course possible.  IF (big if I would say), the company behind this service has purchased exif/serial number info from camera producers (if producers keep such info banks, it would surprise me), their service could find the camera through online images, and that would again be possible to assign to the serial number of the camera.  But the serial number itself will not be found in any image of course.

      I tried out their free searching for a couple of my cameras which I know with 100% certainty that images from do exist online, with the exif info... and nothing was found.  Not very promising.

      Trausti

      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

      Trausti my friend,

      It can NOT find a camera serial number
      (no ONE can)
      if the metadata is taken out
      what it is just ONE click at a photo editor software :-)

      OR
       if you upload to facebook or other websites
      because they erase all the metadata

      specially the ones that use "flash" to upload
      :-)

      best

      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

      Ayrton:

      http://www.gadgettrak.com/

      The other site is seemingly an offspring from the gadgettrak.com site, intended to track cameras only.

      Check out the video and see the news story where someone used this service before Steve Job's death, and found his 9.000 dollar camera equipment again.

      BS propaganda... not at all. Just a new kind of service that people can take - or leave.

      Trausti

      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

      Peter please

      This domain was uptated on december 15 th 2011

      Nobody can have enough "experience" with this :-)
      Unless you had a stolen camera
      BUT
      it only finds photos that kept the metadata intact

      If not,
      there's no way to find anything

      It is a BS propaganda to catch U$ 10 :-)

      And btw: I've tried with my 3 cameras serial numbers and it did not find anything   hahahahahaa

      All my photos (not panoramic) I keep all the metadata intact   :-(

      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Peter <peter@...> wrote:
      Has anyone tried this service?

      http://www.cameratrace.com/

      What has your experience been?