Re: [PanoToolsNG] Your expert advice for converting TIFFs to JPGs?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011
      Am 27.12.2011 16:44, schrieb Peter A. Schaible:
      > Please share with me your favorite software/process/workflow for
      > converting large TIFFs to JPGs in reasonable sizes that printers like,
      > but that don't compromise too much detail.

      What printes do you use? If you don't upload your file I doubt it needs
      to be jpeg. Jpeg is limited to 30000 pixels each side, so you won't be
      able to print larger panoramas at a good resolution.

      If you print on your own local printer I recommend a dedicated printing
      program which can read a lot of file formats, is color managed and knows
      about the printer native resolution.

      You can use a RIP for that but this is an expensive solution. I use
      QImage to get the best results from my Epson printer. It uses very
      sophisticated resizing algorithms and allows for roll paper printing
      even beyond the maximum printable size by printing several chunks
      without seams and much more... Even if you print online QImage might be
      a god solution, since it optimizes and formats images for online print
      services.

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011
        Am 27.12.2011 19:49, schrieb Erik Krause:
        > What printes do you use?

        Should read: What printer do you use?

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011
          Erik, with all due respect to you and Sacha, your replies are as clear as mud to me.

          All I am asking for is the name of a program or procedure (work flow) for changing TIFFs to JPGs. I don't do my own high-end printing. The people who do that for me -- there is more than one -- want JPGs. I finish making a blended and stitched panoramic and I have a very large TIFF file. How should I convert it to JPEG and make it smaller and more manageable?

          > Am 27.12.2011 16:44, schrieb Peter A. Schaible:
          > > Please share with me your favorite software/process/workflow for
          > > converting large TIFFs to JPGs in reasonable sizes that printers like,
          > > but that don't compromise too much detail.
          >
          > What printes do you use? If you don't upload your file I doubt it needs
          > to be jpeg. Jpeg is limited to 30000 pixels each side, so you won't be
          > able to print larger panoramas at a good resolution.
          >
          > If you print on your own local printer I recommend a dedicated printing
          > program which can read a lot of file formats, is color managed and knows
          > about the printer native resolution.
          >
          > You can use a RIP for that but this is an expensive solution. I use
          > QImage to get the best results from my Epson printer. It uses very
          > sophisticated resizing algorithms and allows for roll paper printing
          > even beyond the maximum printable size by printing several chunks
          > without seams and much more... Even if you print online QImage might be
          > a god solution, since it optimizes and formats images for online print
          > services.
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011
            Lol! Pretty sure your lightroom will do that. If its not available in your save as dialog, ensure you've changed its mode to 8 bits, then jpg should show up. Or google "how to save jpg lightroom". You did say you have lightroom right?

            Sent from my iPad

            On Dec 27, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Peter <peter@...> wrote:

            Erik, with all due respect to you and Sacha, your replies are as clear as mud to me.

            All I am asking for is the name of a program or procedure (work flow) for changing TIFFs to JPGs. I don't do my own high-end printing. The people who do that for me -- there is more than one -- want JPGs. I finish making a blended and stitched panoramic and I have a very large TIFF file. How should I convert it to JPEG and make it smaller and more manageable?

            > Am 27.12.2011 16:44, schrieb Peter A. Schaible:
            > > Please share with me your favorite software/process/workflow for
            > > converting large TIFFs to JPGs in reasonable sizes that printers like,
            > > but that don't compromise too much detail.
            >
            > What printes do you use? If you don't upload your file I doubt it needs
            > to be jpeg. Jpeg is limited to 30000 pixels each side, so you won't be
            > able to print larger panoramas at a good resolution.
            >
            > If you print on your own local printer I recommend a dedicated printing
            > program which can read a lot of file formats, is color managed and knows
            > about the printer native resolution.
            >
            > You can use a RIP for that but this is an expensive solution. I use
            > QImage to get the best results from my Epson printer. It uses very
            > sophisticated resizing algorithms and allows for roll paper printing
            > even beyond the maximum printable size by printing several chunks
            > without seams and much more... Even if you print online QImage might be
            > a god solution, since it optimizes and formats images for online print
            > services.
            >
            > --
            > Erik Krause

          • Dicere
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
              You might try this -
              Open the tif in Photomatrix.
              Go to 'utilities' and 'resize' to the appropriate image size for printing. (300 pixels per inch. Less and you may start seeing dots at a 'normal' viewing distance.)
              Save file as jpg. (Use high quality setting. If your printer charges by the file size, or sending larger files is a problem, try test prints at lower quality settings for smaller file size, until the jpg compression induced artifacts become objectionable.)
              Send to printer service.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter A. Schaible" <peter@...> wrote:

              > I manipulate my panoramic images as large TIFF files until I'm
              > eventually ready to send a final image to a printer, where it needs to
              > be a JPG file and greatly reduced in size.
              >
              > Please share with me your favorite software/process/workflow for
              > converting large TIFFs to JPGs in reasonable sizes that printers like,
              > but that don't compromise too much detail.
              >
              > BTW, I own Photomatix, PTGui, DxO Optics Pro, and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8.
              >
              > I DO NOT OWN Photoshop (too complicated), and while I DO OWN Lightroom
              > (also insanely complicated for someone of my limited mental capacity), I
              > hate it with a passion and never use it unless absolutely necessary, and
              > then it always inspires weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.
              >
              > Your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your generous response.
              >

              > --
              > --Peter
              >
              > Peter A. Schaible

            • lanebarden
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                Sacha,

                Try opening up Lightroom and in the Library module (the one you are in when you open it up) choose IMPORT. Find your file and import it. Then with the thumbnail of your file still highlighted/selected, choose EXPORT. In the dialogue box for format choose JPG, in the finder choose a place in your files to export it or choose desktop - shoot it down the tube
                and you're done with this.

                Lane
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                > Lol! Pretty sure your lightroom will do that. If its not available in your
                > save as dialog, ensure you've changed its mode to 8 bits, then jpg should
                > show up. Or google "how to save jpg lightroom". You did say you have
                > lightroom right?
                >
                > Sent from my iPad
                >
                > On Dec 27, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Peter <peter@...> wrote:
                >

                > Erik, with all due respect to you and Sacha, your replies are as clear as
                > mud to me.
                >
                > All I am asking for is the name of a program or procedure (work flow) for
                > changing TIFFs to JPGs. I don't do my own high-end printing. The people who
                > do that for me -- there is more than one -- want JPGs. I finish making a
                > blended and stitched panoramic and I have a very large TIFF file. How
                > should I convert it to JPEG and make it smaller and more manageable?
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Am 27.12.2011 16:44, schrieb Peter A. Schaible:
                > > > Please share with me your favorite software/process/workflow for
                > > > converting large TIFFs to JPGs in reasonable sizes that printers like,
                > > > but that don't compromise too much detail.
                > >
                > > What printes do you use? If you don't upload your file I doubt it needs
                > > to be jpeg. Jpeg is limited to 30000 pixels each side, so you won't be
                > > able to print larger panoramas at a good resolution.
                > >
                > > If you print on your own local printer I recommend a dedicated printing
                > > program which can read a lot of file formats, is color managed and knows
                > > about the printer native resolution.
                > >
                > > You can use a RIP for that but this is an expensive solution. I use
                > > QImage to get the best results from my Epson printer. It uses very
                > > sophisticated resizing algorithms and allows for roll paper printing
                > > even beyond the maximum printable size by printing several chunks
                > > without seams and much more... Even if you print online QImage might be
                > > a god solution, since it optimizes and formats images for online print
                > > services.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Erik Krause

              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Your problem is right there. Lightroom is not something you'd use every once in a while, it is the center of the digital image management. Get a book on Lightroom if you can't figure it out on your own.

                  On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:

                  I DO OWN Lightroom …., I hate it with a passion and never use it unless absolutely necessary,

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                    I finally got Lightroom and it's the best raw converter I've used. I will do everything you need and it's really simple to use once you figure out it's catalog model.

                    One thing, I like NeatImage noise removal better than Lightroom's but NeatImage can be used with Lightroom.

                    Take some time to learn it. Well worth the effort.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 30, 2011
                      Am 28.12.2011 02:31, schrieb Peter:
                      > I finish making a blended and stitched panoramic and I have a very
                      > large TIFF file. How should I convert it to JPEG and make it smaller
                      > and more manageable?

                      For best printing results don't convert. If you need to convert use the
                      highest possible quality setting. If you have a file size limitation
                      first reduce pixel size to a tolerable value. This depends on how large
                      the image will be and how it will be shown: 300 ppi for high quality
                      prints, 150 ppi for medium quality, 75 ppi for posters that will be
                      viewed from a distance. Then reduce quality until below file size limit.
                      This should be possible with any image editor or viewer.