Panoweaver,Tourweaver review & help needed to choose the camera

  • sachinpate007
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2011
      Hello all,
      I am want to create virtual tours of best quality. As I am very new to this I need help in chooosing software and cameras.
      I have seen features of panoweaver and tourweaver and liked them. Also they have provided the list of compatible equipment on http://www.easypano.com/Panorama-software-53_493.html site.

      When I asked about equipment they suggested D700 with sigma 8mm CS fisheye or D7000 with samyang 8 mm lense. With D700 I have to take only 2 or 3 shots for 360 degree panorama but with D7000 I have to take 6 shots. With D700 I can produce spherical panorama and with D7000 I can make cylindrical panorama.

      I don't understand what would be the quality difference between cylindrical and spherical panorama? Also diffrence in difficulty in stiching 3 images vs 6 images.

      Can you please provide your review on easypano's tourweaver and panoweaver?

      Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
      Regards,
      Sachin
    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2011
        Sachin,
        go for tha basics and you will see that nearly every dslr with 8-15mm disheye is doing a great and
        easy job for spherical images.
        it´s just your convenience that decides...
        plenty of tutorials in the net:
        equipment & technics:

        shooting etc.

        but there is plenty - just search ..

        ciao
        mike

        http://www.virtugraf.de
        ----------------------------
        360° VR Fotografie:
        http://www.360de.de

        NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
        http://www.abstraktfoto.de
        -----------------------------
        Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
        http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

[...]

        Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sachinpate007" <sachinpate007@...> wrote:
          > I don't understand what would be the quality difference between
          > cylindrical and spherical panorama? Also diffrence in difficulty in
          > stiching 3 images vs 6 images.

          The D700 + Sigma 8mm would produce a maximum size 360x180 equirectangular image of around 5400x2700 pixels.

          The D7000 + Samyang 8mm would produce a maximum size 360x180 equirectangular image of around 11400x5700 pixels.

          Clearly, the D7000 combination will produce the higher resolution (i.e. the most pixels), but there's rather more to image quality than mere numbers of pixels; and how many pixels do you actually need? Sharpness, flare & glare, colour aberrations, vignetting, useable aperture range: all are factors to be considered. I don't myself use Nikon gear as I went the Canon way, so I can't offer any informed comments on the cameras. As far as panorama image size goes, as a guide I would say 6000x3000 is needed for fullscreen viewing. Others, with larger screens in mind, might well suggest a higher figure.

          Ideally, you want to have access to sample images taken with this equipment in the same location at the same time (or at least in similar lighting conditions). You can then stitch them yourself and make your own judgement of quality, ease of stitching etc. 360Precision made a good start in making such images available for commonly used equipment, but alas soon ground to a halt. Nevertheless, there are sets of images available there that would be useful for test purposes that would help to answer some of your questions: see http://tinyurl.com/2f9sgh . Whether there are 3 or 6 images to stitch hardly matters as far as stitching difficulty goes, but it's hard to deny that fewer images are easier to mange.

          John
        • sachinpate007
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
            John,
            Thanks for the reply. I have found Panoweaver very simple to use.

            I have downloaded the images of D300 and D3. Found that all though D300 has more pixels, D3 is better in image quality.

            Now still confused if to go for D700 or D7000.
            Which camera will give me better image quality? Sorry to say but I don't understand cameras and image parameters. I need to have excellent image quality which will produce highest quality panorama.

            Thanks.
            Regards,
            Sachin Pate

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
              Am 27.12.2011 11:47, schrieb sachinpate007:
              > Which camera will give me better image quality? Sorry to say but I
              > don't understand cameras and image parameters. I need to have
              > excellent image quality which will produce highest quality panorama.

              You should consider a few things for a decision. What exactly do you
              mean by "image quality"? If you mean resolution the focal length of the
              lens plays a higher role than the camera. You can always get higher
              resolution from a given camera by using a longer lens and shoot more
              images. So camera resolution is only relevant if you want to get a
              higher panorama resolution with a given number of shots. For a table see
              http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

              Next thing to consider is dynamic range. If you shoot interiors or other
              non-moving scenery you can always extend dynamic range by shooting
              bracketed. If you go for crowd panoramas the dynamic range of the camera
              might be an issue. You get nice diagrams to compare those features on
              http://www.dxomark.com/index.php especially http://tinyurl.com/d6xt3ps

              Color depth and low light abilities might be an issue as well...