Heavy duty 180 video capture rig

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2011
      http://www.prime3d.de/en/ergebnisse-und-aktivitaeten/testdreh-180-panorama.html

      this seems related to the Enroute/Fullview technology where a pyramid of mirrors is used and the lenses have their viewpoint in front of the actual lenses so virtually parallax-free stitching is possible
      http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
      http://www.washedashore.com/projects/surround/

      PeterM
    • enridp
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
        what's the advantage of a system like that? because it has a low VFoV and is very big and expensive.
        I can imagine only two Image Quality over other mirror solutions, and live stitching/no parallax over other multicamera systems.

        > http://www.prime3d.de/en/ergebnisse-und-aktivitaeten/testdreh-180-panorama.html
        >
        > this seems related to the Enroute/Fullview technology where a pyramid of mirrors is used and the lenses have their viewpoint in front of the actual lenses so virtually parallax-free stitching is possible
        > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
        > http://www.washedashore.com/projects/surround/
        >
        > PeterM

      • prague
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
          They are violating some ridiculous patent by doing this, aren't they?

          > http://www.prime3d.de/en/ergebnisse-und-aktivitaeten/testdreh-180-panorama.html
          >
          > this seems related to the Enroute/Fullview technology where a pyramid of mirrors is used and the lenses have their viewpoint in front of the actual lenses so virtually parallax-free stitching is possible
          > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
          > http://www.washedashore.com/projects/surround/
          >
          > PeterM

        • prague
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
            from what i understand, this type of mirror solution has nothing whatsoever to do with the more common parabolic mirrors (which are universally crap quality)

            these flat mirrors give a perfect image (same as what the lens gives) and the cameras are "virtually" in the same point in space - at the very center.

            low VFOV, yes.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enridp" <enridp@...> wrote:

            > what's the advantage of a system like that? because it has a low VFoV and is very big and expensive.
            > I can imagine only two Image Quality over other mirror solutions, and live stitching/no parallax over other multicamera systems.
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.prime3d.de/en/ergebnisse-und-aktivitaeten/testdreh-180-panorama.html
            > >
            > > this seems related to the Enroute/Fullview technology where a pyramid of mirrors is used and the lenses have their viewpoint in front of the actual lenses so virtually parallax-free stitching is possible
            > > http://www.fullview.com/technology.html
            > > http://www.washedashore.com/projects/surround/
            > >
            > > PeterM

          • Mark D. Fink
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
              Stack two on top of each other for increased VFOV? Then continue the mirrors
              around for a full 360, THEN get someone with really strong neck muscles and
              mount the rig on a helmet and have fun!

              www.northernlight.net
              www.virtual-travels.com
              www.pinnacle-vr.com

            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                The advantage is no parallax errors in the seams. Images can be displayed side
                by side without blending.

                This video shows different ways to capture more VFoV. Starting at 22 min point.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3ZfDg6aaU

                It shows another option, of having several cameras pointing up into mirrors. The
                mirror creates a upside pyramid. The pyramid is hollow and allows a single
                camera can be placed at the NPP to capture the zenith.

                Jim

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2011
                  Nice video, but why they are claiming 360x360 (which in any case should be 360x180 as much)?
                  From what I can see there's only 360x90, and if you put 2 pyramids then you will get two big gaps in nadir and zenith.
                  Do you know how to get 360x180 with these flat mirrors?

                  > The advantage is no parallax errors in the seams. Images can be displayed side
                  > by side without blending.
                  >
                  > This video shows different ways to capture more VFoV. Starting at 22 min point.
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3ZfDg6aaU
                  >
                  > It shows another option, of having several cameras pointing up into mirrors. The
                  > mirror creates a upside pyramid. The pyramid is hollow and allows a single
                  > camera can be placed at the NPP to capture the zenith.
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >

                  > On 2011-12-20 11:06 AM, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                  > > Stack two on top of each other for increased VFOV? Then continue the mirrors
                  > > around for a full 360, THEN get someone with really strong neck muscles and
                  > > mount the rig on a helmet and have fun!
                  > >
                  > > www.northernlight.net
                  > > www.virtual-travels.com
                  > > www.pinnacle-vr.com

                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2011
                    On 2011-12-21 12:27 PM, enridp wrote:
                    > From what I can see there's only 360x90, and if you put 2 pyramids
                    > then you will get two big gaps in nadir and zenith.
                    > Do you know how to get 360x180 with these flat mirrors?
                    There will always be one whole where the camera rig is attached to the tripod.
                    For the zenith placing an up pointing camera in the middle of the four pointing
                    into the pyramid would close off the zenith although there would be some
                    parallax error.

                    --
                    Jim Watters
                    http://photocreations.ca
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2011
                      Yes I saw the design with the camera inside the pyramid (I don't understand why you think it has error parallax if it's exactly on the same "virtual viewpoint" of the other cameras).
                      But how can it cover the full zenith hole?
                      Can you cover more than Vfov = 90ยบ with the 4 mirrors?
                      I couldn't find any 360x180 panorama made with fullview :(