A great use of Goolge Street Views

  • Matt Smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
      Just got done reading a story about a great use of the google street views

      I thought I would share it.

      Matt Smith
      PhotoSpherix
      317.396.5791
      Indianapolis, Indiana USA

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
        This is not a great use but sick use.

        Bostjan

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
          No, think about it from the reverse direction. All of the art needed for a game is created by someone else. Dont think of it as "I am going to run down a virtual street and shoot it up". But, then again some people forget that it is a VIRTUAL street.

          Matt Smith
          PhotoSpherix
          317.396.5791
          Indianapolis, Indiana USA

          On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

          This is not a great use but sick use.

          Bostjan

          Just got done reading a story about a great use of the google street views

          I thought I would share it.

          Matt Smith
          PhotoSpherix
          317.396.5791
          Indianapolis, Indiana USA

          __._,_.__

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
            Next up: Street View Carmaggedon!

            John Riley
            4Pi-VR Media Solutions
            http://4pi-vr.com
            johnriley@...
            (h)864-461-3504
            (c)864-431-7075
            (w)864-503-5775

            On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Matt Smith wrote:

            Just got done reading a story about a great use of the google street views

            I thought I would share it.

            Matt Smith
            PhotoSpherix
            317.396.5791
            Indianapolis, Indiana USA

          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
              It's no secret that I am completely against all things relating to killing... that is also why I can see why this was tasteless... but then I have to compare it to real life situation... knowing that children, grownups and old people get killed by murderers hired by governments, sent around the world to play the game of "democracy is a dirty game"... where REAL people get killed.... and unfortunately we don't hear many people complain about that on or off-line... but as soon as there is something FAKE, people get out of their chairs, complaining about how cruel and sick it is to let people play with images.

              Neither thing should be out there... but I find it very hypocritical when a game which does NOT harm anyone physically in any way or form, is condemned, while real life killings are not even receiving a footnote.

              Now bash my head in for speaking my mind.  After all I didn't harm anyone with my words.... but that only justifies it even more to have me silenced.... I know the routine :)

              Peace.

              Trausti

            • ddraig
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 14, 2011
                On 15 December 2011 16:17, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                Neither thing should be out there... but I find it very hypocritical when a game which does NOT harm anyone physically in any way or form, is condemned, while real life killings are not even receiving a footnote.

                Yep, I'm a huge fan of first person shooter games. I've yet to run out and massacre anyone.

                BACK TO THE TOPIC

                Google have pulled access to their API and it no longer works.

                But: hilarious concept.

                Dwayne
                --
                  ddraig@... irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
                         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011

                  So, maybe the next step for someone in this group is to create a (non-violent) game based on the VR content we’ve all amassed?

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                    +1, come on, lighten up! This is fun. I'm sad I didn't get to try playing it :)

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, ddraig <dwayne@...> wrote:

                    > On 15 December 2011 16:17, Trausti Hraunfjord
                    > <trausti.hraunfjord@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Neither thing should be out there... but I find it very hypocritical when
                    > > a game which does NOT harm anyone physically in any way or form, is
                    > > condemned, while real life killings are not even receiving a footnote.
                    > >

                    > Yep, I'm a huge fan of first person shooter games. I've yet to run out and
                    > massacre anyone.
                    >
                    > BACK TO THE TOPIC
                    >
                    > Google have pulled access to their API and it no longer works.
                    >
                    > But: hilarious concept.
                    >
                    > Dwayne
                    > --
                    > ddraig@... irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
                    > ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...
                    > http://tinyurl.com/he-is-right-you-know-jpg
                    > our aim is wakefulness, our enemy is dreamless sleep

                  • Willy Kaemena
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                          between scilly  shooting games   and  the reality  is  a very  tiny step....  controlling  from a remote  position a deadly drone  is almost the same for  young people   used to these  near reality  "games"

                          and  this  not a personal attack to the  writer  below but something in our society which lead  already to many   rampages due to the lowered inhibition threshold created  by  these "games",    in the last years on campuses and elsewhere in the world.

                          If  somebody  wants to shoot in games  then he  should  at least not aim on people not on real  and  not on virtual  or photos..

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                                On 12/15/2011, at 10:31 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                                > So, maybe the next step for someone in this group is to create a (non-violent) game based on the VR content we’ve all amassed?

                                A "Where's Wally / Carmen SanDiego(sp?)", treasure hunt, on-line "amazing race", worlds craziest golf holes game etc. Lots of possibilities.

                                KathyW.
                              • alan_r_cam
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                                  I'm lousy at shooting games, so my first thought was: Golf.

                                  EA Sports have the Tiger Woods Golf game, and it's fairly accurate. But a series of panos down each fairway would make the models a LOT more photo-realistic.

                                  Drift off into the rough, and the system has to determine a view based on adjacent panos. That merges on a personal topic of interest: 3d reconstruction from multiple 2D images.

                                  > Next up: Street View Carmaggedon!
                                  >

                                  > > Just got done reading a story about a great use of the google street views
                                  > >

                                  > > http://www.businessinsider.com/google-shoot-view-shoot-em-up-game-killed-by-google-2011-12
                                  > >
                                  > > I thought I would share it.
                                • Matt Smith
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                                    Now you guys are thinking in the correct direction. A gps system that uses the images to show a true vie of the drive.

                                    A or an ...

                                    Even if it worked the other direction. Rendered views from the stands on a basket, football or soccer game.

                                    Matt Smith
                                    Photospherix.com
                                    360 Product photography

                                    On Dec 15, 2011, at 6:26 PM, "alan_r_cam" <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm lousy at shooting games, so my first thought was: Golf.
                                    >
                                    > EA Sports have the Tiger Woods Golf game, and it's fairly accurate. But a series of panos down each fairway would make the models a LOT more photo-realistic.
                                    >
                                    > Drift off into the rough, and the system has to determine a view based on adjacent panos. That merges on a personal topic of interest: 3d reconstruction from multiple 2D images.
                                    >

                                    >> Next up: Street View Carmaggedon!
                                    >>

                                    >>> Just got done reading a story about a great use of the google street views
                                    >>>

                                    >>> http://www.businessinsider.com/google-shoot-view-shoot-em-up-game-killed-by-google-2011-12
                                    >>>
                                    >>> I thought I would share it.

                                  • Isaac Garcia
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                                      I too call BULLSHIT upon the videogame-link-to-violence crap.

                                      If you are deranged, you are deranged. End of frigging story.

                                      Cheers.

                                      On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

[...]

                                      Isaac García

                                      http://www.coletassoft.com
                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
                                      http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
                                      http://twitter.com/coletassoft
                                      http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
                                      http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

                                      JFGI | RTFM
                                    • ddraig
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 15, 2011
                                        On 16 December 2011 01:16, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                                        between scilly  shooting games   and  the reality  is  a very  tiny step....  controlling  from a remote  position a deadly drone  is almost the same for  young people   used to these  near reality  "games"

                                        So what you are saying is that today's young people are not aware that when they are piloting a drone, they are shooting at real people? Is this really what you are saying?

                                        When you watch movies do you feel you are watching *actual snuff movies*??   You are aware that what you are seeing is acted, right?  And yet you seem convinced that people playing video games cannot tell the difference between the virtual world of a game and the real world of, well, the real world.

                                        Numerous studies have shown that violent video games do not produce violent people.  Yet you willfully choose to ignore such, based on some ideological standpoint.

                                        and  this  not a personal attack to the  writer  below but something in our society which lead  already to many   rampages due to the lowered inhibition threshold created  by  these "games",    in the last years on campuses and elsewhere in the world.

                                        And here we are again. You have exactly zero evidence that these rampages are caused by violent video games, and in fact there is adequate proof to the contrary. Which you ignore.

                                        If  somebody  wants to shoot in games  then he  should  at least not aim on people not on real  and  not on virtual  or photos..

                                        They are not people, they are people-shaped characters in a game.   This is a huge difference which EVERYONE playing these games is aware of.

                                        You know, a valid criticism would be this: using Google Street View as a first-person shooter game could be used by terrorists as a training tool to practise their attacks.

                                        That's an actual concern.

                                        People who are ACTUALLY VIOLENT using this setup as a training tool.  But instead you are too mired in your own bogus ideology to consider this.

                                        Given that this is a discussion group for PHOTOGRAPHY I suggest we leave the political manifestos at the door because

                                        1: they cause fights and
                                        2: they are invariably rubbish

                                        Dwayne
                                        --
                                          ddraig@... irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
                                                 ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...
                                                http://tinyurl.com/he-is-right-you-know-jpg
                                        our aim is wakefulness,  our enemy is dreamless sleep
                                      • prague
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 16, 2011
                                          You might remember we ran a treasure hunt for the prague gigapixel back in 2009
                                          http://blog.360cities.net/gigapixel-treasure-hunt-win-1000/

                                          and another TWO treasure hunts with the london gigapixel, last year:
                                          http://blog.360cities.net/gigapixel-treasure-hunt-1-crumpler/
                                          http://blog.360cities.net/gigapixel-treasure-hunt-2-fujitsu/
                                          we were going to have a third competition, where you would "tell a story" by creating a sort of storyboard using different views of the london gigapixel. But the development of this UI took too much time, and we had too many other things to do, so we called it off.

                                          Regarding the shooting.... I personally had this idea at least 3 years ago, to create a kind of "sniper" game for either desktop or mobile, where you'd be in a panorama, and some character would pop out from behind something and start shooting at you, and you'd have to shoot them back. Seemed like a fun idea to me :) But for now, just another idea.

                                          Those of you who find anything related to guns and shooting so objectionable... do you have children? Have you seen a boy grow from infancy through the age of 5 and beyond? Or maybe you remember yourself, that you liked to play with guns. Like it or not, it is a human urge to play with guns, and it doesn't have to be something awful. Most human males play with guns at some point in their lives, either virtual or physical "play" guns, and they live normal lives.

                                          I remember a moment from the oscar-nominated documentary "Restrepo" about some soldiers in afghanistan. The machine gunner, a fresh-faced young lad, Corporal Pemble-Belkin, tell us his hippie mother wouldn't let him play with toy guns, not even a squirt gun... as we see his face light up while he energetically sways a tripod-mounted 50-caliber machine gun back and forth, up and down....

                                          Willy's good point about the similarity of drone controllers notwithstanding, I say, let us have violent games, if you don't want to play them, fine, just don't moralize to the people who enjoy it!

                                          Note: I never really play *any* video games, except for "angry birds" while waiting for the tram. Kill the pigs!!!! :-D

                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

                                          > On 12/15/2011, at 10:31 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                                          > > So, maybe the next step for someone in this group is to create a (non-violent) game based on the VR content we�ve all amassed?
                                          >
                                          > A "Where's Wally / Carmen SanDiego(sp?)", treasure hunt, on-line "amazing race", worlds craziest golf holes game etc. Lots of possibilities.
                                          >
                                          > KathyW.

                                        • Bostjan Burger
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 16, 2011
                                            I have cooperated with some of my panoramas with http://rcflightsim.com/ allready in 2002. Also we had an educational treasure hunting allready in 2001. The treasure was needed to find with "steps" from the help of clues from other panoramas - very similar to geocaching in reality.
                                            People are bothering me making commercial VR tours so I need to waste my time with such a triviality... usually I am "forced" to make one or two VR tours a week but to make my work more interesting I suggested a treasure hunt in a shop or a restaurant. Here are two examples: http://www.inpos.si/inpos-tour/ , http://www.jurman-sp.si/Page.asp?src=documents/tloris.htm (unfortunately they wanted lo resolution, even original tours are much beter). I am not sure if the moment any treasure hunt is active, but form time to time it is open... and then they have very increased traffic.

                                            Bostjan