TFPS - Trillion Frames Per Second

  • blueslander
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
      http://chime.in/user/Bill/chime/83832090542510080

      When "fast" isn't fast enough.

      Trausti
    • Mark Fink
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
        Wow! Think of the movies of kittens I could make for YouTube... :o)

        Alternatively, HDR with NO motion effects between exposures,

        OR

        Bracket every conceivable combination of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal
        length, AND focus position, then run through Enfuse

        AND

        Make all the hard drive manufacturers VERY happy.

        All in all, WAY cool technology!

        Mark

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
          Well, it does seem to be limited to static scenes. Multiple laser pulses is just photographed at different very precise timings. So precise, that it looks in a movie like the same laser pulse traveling. Like a high-tech wagon wheel effect.

          But there are some cool applications discussed here:

          “An ultimate dream is, how do you create studio-like lighting from a compact flash? How can I take a portable camera that has a tiny flash and create the illusion that I have all these umbrellas, and sport lights, and so on?” asks Raskar, the NEC Career Development Associate Professor of Media Arts and Sciences. “With our ultrafast imaging, we can actually analyze how the photons are traveling through the world. And then we can recreate a new photo by creating the illusion that the photons started somewhere else.”