Re: Need a small field monitor

  • Henri Smeets
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2011
      No problem, that indeed gives you a better preview actually.

    • thomas_krueger_eu
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
        Hallo Jürgen,

        I'm waiting for the delivery of my Nook Color. Once rooted to Android I can report.

        Thomas

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
        >
        > Cheers
        > Jürgen

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
          Nook color looks nice, but I can´t find the composite input on this device.
          Not on any tablets.
          There could be a hack for a tablet with fully USB- function (Acer Iconia A100/500) - but theses I don´t have.
          My Galaxy Tab is not fully functional for that - my ipad far away from that.
          Since I have access to my Galaxy Tab via WiFi -  could be an option to connect the camera to the Tab via this technic.
          It´s just a FTP-app that makes the Tab a full FTP-Server.

          ciao
          mike
          360° VR Fotografie:
          http://www.360de.de

          NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
          http://www.abstraktfoto.de
          -----------------------------
          Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
          http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

          I'm waiting for the delivery of my Nook Color. Once rooted to Android I can report.

          Thomas

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view
          signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).

          > Cheers
          > Jürgen

          Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
        • Henri Smeets
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
            You could also build a small server-pc running the PC/MacOSX DSLR-Remote host
            and use the iOS app to view the liveview feed.

          • ptgroup
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2011
              With the Galaxy I think you don´t need any further hardware.
              more useful in the field.
              ciao
              mike
              http://www.virtugraf.de
              ----------------------------
              360° VR Fotografie:
              http://www.360de.de

              NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
              http://www.abstraktfoto.de
              -----------------------------
              Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
              http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

              You could also build a small server-pc running the PC/MacOSX DSLR-Remote host
              and use the iOS app to view the liveview feed.

              Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 9, 2011

                > Hi guys,
                >
                > I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
                >
                > Cheers
                > Jürgen

                What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
                http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
                http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250

                PeterM
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 9, 2011
                  How about this idea? Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?

                  http://www.eye.fi/
                  https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768

                  panovrx wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi guys,
                  >>
                  >> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
                  >>
                  >> Cheers
                  >> Jürgen
                  >>

                  > What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
                  > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
                  > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
                  >
                  > PeterM

                • jrgen_schrader
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 9, 2011
                    I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.

                    > How about this idea? Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
                    >
                    > http://www.eye.fi/
                    > https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768
                    >

                    > panovrx wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                    > >> Hi guys,
                    > >>
                    > >> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
                    > >>
                    > >> Cheers
                    > >> Jürgen
                    > >>

                    > > What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
                    > > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
                    > > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
                    > >
                    > > PeterM

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 2011
                      It's just bits -- you aren't wasting anything by taking a test shot.

                      But what ever....

                      jrgen_schrader wrote:
                      > I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                      >> How about this idea? Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
                      >>
                      >> http://www.eye.fi/
                      >> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768
                      >>

                      >> panovrx wrote:

                      >>> What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
                      >>> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
                      >>> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
                      >>>
                      >>> PeterM

                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 2011
                        I have a small video transmitter which in its first life was used to transfer a camera signal from an RC airplane to the ground. it also works with the composit signal from the 5D.
                        Your find could also be a great option because it would allow to carry much less and could easily be setup. Though a latency time of 1/2 second might a showstopper in some cases. And yes, it's a bit pricy, but I assume one would hardly use it just for the luxury of a larger camera display.

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi guys,
                        > >
                        > > I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Jürgen
                        > >

                        > What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
                        > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
                        > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
                        >
                        > PeterM

                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 10, 2011
                          På Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:11:34 +0100, skrev jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:

                          > I have a small video transmitter which in its first life was used to transfer a camera signal from an RC airplane to the ground. it also works with the composit signal from the 5D.
                          > Your find could also be a great option because it would allow to carry much less and could easily be setup. Though a latency time of 1/2 second might a showstopper in some cases. And yes, it's a bit pricy, but I assume one would hardly use it just for the luxury of a larger camera display.

                          My very first pole shots were with a video transmitter/receiver (2.3GHz), an RC servo for shutter, with RC Tx/Rx and a camcorder with vomposite input for viewing the video remotely. Lots of battery packs and gadgets! Not a solo project.. ;)
                          Later I bought a video spectacle (?), glasses with a tiny monitor on one eye. Worked OK, but also needed an external box for batteries etc.
                          I also bought a cheap, small LCD TV with a composite input, also with an external 12V battery pack :(
                          All this was for use in a RC helicopter, which was stolen from my car ($5k), and never replaced. Nowadays I shoot mainly pole shots with a fisheye, and don't usually need/bother with any remote view.
                          All those 3 remote video solutions worked OK, quite a few years ago, and today I would probably go for the small TV with composite input, if they can still be found?
                          Or one of those small, cheap car DVD players/screens? I've seen sets with DVD player + 2 small LCD screens for around $100.

                        • jrgen_schrader
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 10, 2011
                            Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.

                            > It's just bits -- you aren't wasting anything by taking a test shot.
                            >
                            > But what ever....
                            >
                            > jrgen_schrader wrote:
                            > > I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.
                            > >
                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
                            > >> How about this idea? Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
                            > >>
                            > >> http://www.eye.fi/
                            > >> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768

                          • Paul Fretheim
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 11, 2011

                              > Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.

                              I use my eyes for that.

                              Paul Fretheim
                            • jrgen_schrader
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 11, 2011
                                Try to imagine a situation where you have to trigger your camera from a position at least 100 ft. apart while you rotate it with a robot into different directions. Maybe some of you big geniusses will be able to exactly determine what's inside the frame of your 15mm lens, but I can't.

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                                > > Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.
                                >
                                > I use my eyes for that.
                                >
                                > Paul Fretheim

                              • Ken Warner
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 11, 2011
                                  Please accept my sincerest apology for trying to help....

                                  jrgen_schrader wrote:
                                  > Try to imagine a situation where you have to trigger your camera from a position at least 100 ft. apart while you rotate it with a robot into different directions. Maybe some of you big geniusses will be able to exactly determine what's inside the frame of your 15mm lens, but I can't.
                                  >
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                                  >>> Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.
                                  >> I use my eyes for that.
                                  >>
                                  >> Paul Fretheim

                                • jrgen_schrader
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 11, 2011
                                    Peter, while trying to find more information on the Cube I just found this: "*Latency measured by independent third party testers. iPad's native video decoder adds approximately 10 seconds of latency. An RTP solution for iPad will be available shortly to eliminate the latency issue."

                                    Uh, oh ...